SearchSearch 

Instantly Heading North

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

So there you are.
Using Microsofts winXp, Microsofts game (FSX), Microsofts basic keyboard, and Microsofts basic optical mouse. On final at Chambers Co TX (T00), You have hopped over the high tenson tower in the flair path at the end of runway, pointed the nose down, and are rolling back the throttle (mousewheel down).
When - BAM - you are heading straight for the tower you'd gotten over !!!

This took me 3 days to figure out!
Radarman, you didn't mention the SLEW commands in your FSXKeyboardCommands.mht. Who knew that FSX interperts PRESSING DOWN on the mousewheel as "Reset slew" which instantly points your plane north? In a document, such as this forum, pressing mousewheel down causes continous scrolling. I made a successful landing after deleting the "reset slew" command.
in fact.
In a fit of exasperation, I've deleted ALL the default key assignments (normal and slew), and make assignments for only those game actions I use!!
Works fine.

4 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

It all worked out just fine, that's the most important part. Everybody makes mistakes.

Glad it's all OK now. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

oldsamer wrote:

So there you are.
Using Microsofts winXp, Microsofts game (FSX), Microsofts basic keyboard, and Microsofts basic optical mouse. On final at Chambers Co TX (T00), You have hopped over the high tenson tower in the flair path at the end of runway, pointed the nose down, and are rolling back the throttle (mousewheel down).
When - BAM - you are heading straight for the tower you'd gotten over !!!

This took me 3 days to figure out!
Radarman, you didn't mention the SLEW commands in your FSXKeyboardCommands.mht. Who knew that FSX interperts PRESSING DOWN on the mousewheel as "Reset slew" which instantly points your plane north? In a document, such as this forum, pressing mousewheel down causes continous scrolling. I made a successful landing after deleting the "reset slew" command.
in fact.
In a fit of exasperation, I've deleted ALL the default key assignments (normal and slew), and make assignments for only those game actions I use!!
Works fine.

The slew commands are in my download. They aren't in the download of the gent who used mine ( yes he did inform me) and made it into a PDF which looks nicer than mine but is lacking all the keyboard commands (he does state that fact in the download description).

Mine:

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=rad&CatID=fsxutil&Go=Search

His: (Ty Miller)
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=rad&CatID=fsxmisc&Go=Search

SLEW COMMANDS
Slew to rapidly reposition your aircraft without flying in real time.
Slew Mode (on/off) Y
Heading North/Attitude Level CTRL+SPACEBAR
Freeze All Movement Num Pad 5
Slew Forward Num Pad 8
Slew Backward Num Pad 2
Slew Left Num Pad 4
Slew Right Num Pad 6
Slew Up Slowly Q or F3
Slew Up Quickly F4
Slew Down Slowly A
Slew Down Quickly F1
Freeze Vertical Movement F2

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Radarman
Got it.

I had assigned Y to toggle mouse yoke control on/off, not default ctrl+Y. So played with a 50% chance slew commands would be "HOT".

I believe your above reply is only a partial listing of default assigned "slews". My copy of FSX shows a slew command [reset (slew)] and interestingly [Slew Down Slowly = A] was causing my nose to dip because in normal mode I'd assigned [rudder (yaw) left = A].

Soo, can the game be played with normal AND slew flight modes simultaniously?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

oldsamer wrote:

Radarman
Got it.

I had assigned Y to toggle mouse yoke control on/off, not default ctrl+Y. So played with a 50% chance slew commands would be "HOT".

I believe your above reply is only a partial listing of default assigned "slews". My copy of FSX shows a slew command [reset (slew)] and interestingly [Slew Down Slowly = A] was causing my nose to dip because in normal mode I'd assigned [rudder (yaw) left = A].

Soo, can the game be played with normal AND slew flight modes simultaniously?

I've never used it in FSX, I have to try a glider one of these days.

Radar