Autopilot help

vbalbert Guest

It's been a while since I played with FS and now I'm back with FSX. I'd like to configure the autopilot, but I can't seem to determine how to do it. For example, I'd like to configure the autopilot altitude and heading. I remember that there was a way to do it, but I can't remember the specifics. I've gone through the keyboard assignments and can't see anything about setting it. (Well, I could, but I don't want to fly the Mooney with the glass panel. It had a way to do it, but that way doesn't apply to the Mooney with the older style panel.)

Documentation for FSX seems rather sparse.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Vern

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
x pilot Guest

trying moving the mouse over the knobs near the autopilot and they should highlight them saying ALT etc or something!

shift+ (on of the number keys, ie 1, 2, 3 brings up the radio stack and then easier to input your data into the george! shift+3 brings up the GPS, have a play around....

vbalbert Guest

Thanks, that helped a lot! Got me going. I also figured out what the heading bug is. That seemed kind of funny to me until I figured out the bug points where you want to go. This brings up a couple of questions:

1) Is there a way to put in a specific value for the heading bug? Otherwise I have to move it around until I get the heading I want.

2) Is there a way to have the autopilot follow the flight plan put into the GPS? Specifically, if I choose a low-altitude flight plan, I get the VOR waypoints. While it seems kind of lazy to do it this way, I'd like the autopilot to automatically adjust for each waypoint. In other words, I'd like the heading bug to automatically point to the next waypoint.

Again, thanks in advance for any help.

x pilot Guest

1. for the heading bug you have to move it as you would in real life, there is no short cut to input figures. if you have the autopilot ON and HDG set and then you move the bug the aircraft should turn to heading that bug is on!

2.YES your plane can follow the trck that is set on the GPS and turn automatically at waypoints etc. find the NAV/GPS switch and flick it GPS and then the auto pilot will track the GPS. i have found on some of the planes in FSx you might need to flick to 2d panel to find the switch (shift+2) brings up the 2d panel i think!sit back have a beer and enjoy the flight!

*remember that when you start pre-planning your approach arrival and inputing runways and approaches into the GPS + putting the correct ILS frequencey into your NAV 1 to then switch the switch back to NAV so then the instruments will then function with the glidescope and the localizer.

i hope this helps, its really easy to do once you have grasped the functions of the instruments and autopilot and then flying in the simulator becomes a little more realistic.

there are more funtions on the autopilot for approach holds etc, you can fly to a airport with automatic landing facilities and set your tin bird to land by its self after a couple of beers so that all your effort is not forced into the ground!

cheers

vbalbert Guest

Okay, I'm with you so far, however, my first test with the GPS/NAV switch set to GPS had it using the direct route rather than the waypoints that were put into the GPS. I made sure I turned on NAV on the autopilot and did not turn on HDG. (It seems the two are mutually exclusive.)

vbalbert Guest

Okay, I figured out what was wrong. It seems that after I took off from the airport and hit the Z key to engage the AP, the plane would turn way off where I wanted it to go. What it was doing was just centering the plane onto the track for the next waypoint. Once I let it go, it got to the track and then turned onto the course I had set. Everything is copacetic.

x pilot Guest

ya i forgot to tell you that you might have to disengage and then reengage for it to work, does it in Fs9...

Pro Member First Officer
Jim (jellrod) First Officer

|I've doner all that, have no problem getting the GPS to track the vectors, then I get established, and switch to NAV. |Flies the runway heading perfectly, but always flies into the ground short of the runway. SO, how do I set it up to track GS?

x pilot Guest

so basicall you have set the GPS/NAV switch to NAV, and you have selected APP...

its not going to land for you unless the runway and the aircraft have the facilities for full automatic landings!

why not just fly the approach manually?

Pro Member First Officer

|I have been flying it manually, just wanted to try the autoland but couldnt get it to work at the airports I fly into. SO, which ones have auto land capability? Just want to see it once. Thanks!

x pilot Guest

top of my head, london heathrow, cape town in south africa

i am sure big ones in the USA will have the facility but you need to find out which of the runways support it, find out what CATT they are...

Pro Member First Officer

OK - Thanks!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...