SearchSearch 

Laptop fs2004?

Hi everyone!! Im planning to get this laptop to mainly play fs2004 or fsx.

Dell Inspiron 6400

Processor: Intel Pentium dual-core proc T2060(1MB Cache/1.6GHz/533MHz FSB)

operating system:Win xp.

Display: 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife™

Memory: Upgrade to 2GB from 512MB

Hard drive 100GB 7200 RPM SATA

Optical drive 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R

Graphics: 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7300 GS

Battery: 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Is this descend enough to have my f2004 work smooth with some addons?
also is the 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory any better?

4 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You shouldn't have any problems with those specs.

Which of the two GFX cards is the better one I couldn't tell you. If I was asking the question, I'd be looking at a place like Tom's Hardware Guide for the answer.

Oh yes... and you definitely need that Memory upgrade 😎

Pro Member Trainee
DaFirmCEO Trainee

I have almost that exact configuration in my Dell Laptop and I can tell you that the performance on FSX sucks ass...

FS2004 runs sweet and smoth with tons of add-ons but when I tried FSX it was aweful and that is being very kind, my brother has a Toshiba Laptop and pretty much the same result...

Granted a Laptop is not an ideal platform for any gaming but this is the first program i can say that has even tested the limits of my machine....

I am in process of reverting back to FS2004 so I can enjoy the experience of flight without any lag or poor performance, plus I can get full detail on FS2004 couldn't even get medium detail on FSX without speed issues....

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

theres one thing to remember when it comes to laptops and Dells

Always get the ATI
They always just seem to be the faster one

Dell

Pro Member Trainee
TJbaron Trainee

I have a Dell Laptop XPS M1710. I purchaed a upgrade on the video card and got the Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX with 512ram. I have 2gig of ram and a 100 MB hardrive. I have to say that it runs FS2004 excellent! My frame rates are between 35-70 depending on scenery. Most sliders are almost maxed! FSX runs smoothly, though frame rates are significantly
slower 20-40 again depending on scenery.

Anyway for me a laptop works great for FS. I haven't used an ATI card before but for me the Nvdia card works great, displays clear pictures with no blurries.

The upgrade for a 256 card to a 512 was a good investment.

I hope you have a good idea of what your going to buy now.
Good Luck!