SearchSearch 

Installation problems

Scorched Guest

Hi, I just found this site after searching for 'installation issues flight simulator x'. I'm in the UK by the way, using a Vaio laptop. I went on the Microsoft site first and tried doing a clean boot and clearing the temp files, which made no difference.

The other day I bought the Deluxe version off eBay, but when I put the first disc in, it just made these weird clicky noises and nothing happened. Tried running the disc drive and it said to insert a disc. Noises kept going on until I ejected the disc. Then I tried putting in the second disc and it sort of loaded (at least it appeared in My Computer) but nothing came up. So I tried installing it from the family PC and it installed fine with no problems whatsoever.

So I tried again later to install it on my laptop, and it actually came up with the setup, and started to install... but after about a quarter of the way along, it came up with a window saying 'please insert disc1' (which it had been installing from already). So I tried ejecting and reinserting the disc and it carried on a little way, then the message came up again, and so on, until eventually it seemed to gve up altogether and my disc drive started making very loud whirring noises and wouldn't install further. So after it had rolled all the way back I tried starting again, but it now said 'installation could not start' or something like that. But then I tried again later and it did start, but then froze as soon as the status abr appeared. Now it's gone back to clicking pointlessly again.

So now I'm thinking there must be something wrong with my DVD drive (also DVD burner) except of course it's not that simple, as every other disc I have works fine - DVD movies included. I've seen some posts suggesting to uninstall Nero but I don't have that installed, or Roxio. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Any help would be great, thanks 🙂
PS I have no idea what version this game this is, as it has neither the US or UK age rating system on the box. 😕

7 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Many burners can't load certain software, I had that problem with IL2 but took an hour forcing it, the same drive loaded FSX after I deleted Nero.
With my new one, no problem.
Since it loaded on one PC you know it's not the disks, it has to be the drive.
All I can think of.

See if a friend has an external drive.

Radar

Scorched Guest

Thanks for replying, there's no access to an external drive unfortuantely, so I'll have to use the PC for the time being, which has much worse specs than the laptop.
I would have expected that burners should load any disc, however. If not surely there is a fault with either the specific software (rather than the disc the software is on), or the disc drive... do you think I could ask for a repair/replacement drive? I have this monthly cover with PC World that means I get free repairs. Do you reckon it's worth a shot contacting them?
Thanks again for your help. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Scorched wrote:

Thanks for replying, there's no access to an external drive unfortuantely, so I'll have to use the PC for the time being, which has much worse specs than the laptop.
I would have expected that burners should load any disc, however. If not surely there is a fault with either the specific software (rather than the disc the software is on), or the disc drive... do you think I could ask for a repair/replacement drive? I have this monthly cover with PC World that means I get free repairs. Do you reckon it's worth a shot contacting them?
Thanks again for your help. 🙂

Sure tell them that it loads with another drive, maybe they'll loan you a different external one or just change the brand you have.

Radar

Scorched Guest

They are blaming it on the disc no matter how many times I tell them it worked fine with the other PC 🙄

I'm trying what someone else suggested, copying the disc over to the hard drive then installing it from there instead... so I've copied over most of the files, but of course one won't copy over, namely the installer package - "flight simulator x.msi". Evil or Very Mad Is there any way to copy it over? Or is it downloadable from somewhere? It gives the error message 'Cannot copy ... (cyclic redundancy check).' Sigh...

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Scorched wrote:

They are blaming it on the disc no matter how many times I tell them it worked fine with the other PC 🙄

I'm trying what someone else suggested, copying the disc over to the hard drive then installing it from there instead... so I've copied over most of the files, but of course one won't copy over, namely the installer package - "flight simulator x.msi". Evil or Very Mad Is there any way to copy it over? Or is it downloadable from somewhere? It gives the error message 'Cannot copy ... (cyclic redundancy check).' Sigh...

If you paid with a credit card call the company and tell them that you want your money back and you'll return the merchandise.

Radar

Scorched Guest

I paid with debit card, which is basically the same thing, right? But can't they just argue that it's the disc that is faulty? I don't have any way to prove to them that the disc worked fine with the other computer, and the laptop drive does work fine with other discs. By UK law they have to accept the product back and give a full refund if the product is faulty, but technically the drive works as it has no problem with any other disc. I hate situations like this. I just want to play a game!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Scorched wrote:

I paid with debit card, which is basically the same thing, right? But can't they just argue that it's the disc that is faulty? I don't have any way to prove to them that the disc worked fine with the other computer, and the laptop drive does work fine with other discs. By UK law they have to accept the product back and give a full refund if the product is faulty, but technically the drive works as it has no problem with any other disc. I hate situations like this. I just want to play a game!!

Return the disk and get the same back, if that won't load tell them what you did.
I would write a very polite letter to customer service at their home office telling them the entire story, with dates and names if you have them.

Radar