SearchSearch 

Help - Utility Download

Pro Member Trainee
itwasluck Trainee

Hi,

I'm a new user and I would like to add the carrier and nasa challenges to my FS9 platform. Can anyone tell me where I should place the files once they are added to my computer? I have had great luck when it comes to adding aircraft, but I seem to be lacking the knowledge to add the above files to FS9.

Thanks.

7 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I no longer have FS9 loaded so I can't help.
But check the read-me that came with it, that should tell you everything.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

If you could give us some more information on the carrier challenges and where you found them perhaps myself and Tailhook(i'm sure he won't mind 😀 ) might be able to help ❗

Pro Member Trainee
itwasluck Trainee

Welshflyer wrote:

If you could give us some more information on the carrier challenges and where you found them perhaps myself and Tailhook(i'm sure he won't mind 😀 ) might be able to help ❗

Sure thing!

The name of the downloads are: FS2004 CarrierOps Full Pack & FS2004 Nasa Space Challenge Package. These two programs are listed as FS2004 Utilities for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004.

I know that when I am adding aircraft from this site to my FS9 I have to unzip the file and add the aircraft file to my aircraft folder.

For example I will follow these steps to add an aircraft to FS9:

1. Open Microsoft Games Folder
2. Open FS9 Folder
3. Open Aircraft Folder
4. Place plane file from Fly Away into Aircraft folder
5. Open FS9

How do I add the two programs to FS9?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

itwasluck wrote:

Hi,

I'm a new user and I would like to add the carrier and nasa challenges to my FS9 platform. Can anyone tell me where I should place the files once they are added to my computer? I have had great luck when it comes to adding aircraft, but I seem to be lacking the knowledge to add the above files to FS9.

Thanks.

Ok I'll try my best but I won't beat around the bush.

First, I can't help you with the NASA Challenges and won't even look into it because I don't download files from this library.

Now to the carrier. The actual filename is carrierop1146.zip, also available at avsim.com. If this is not your first carrier, you've chosen a difficult one to install because the sheer amount of Readme files alone can become overwhelming.
Coincidentally, only yesterday I tried to install that very file and finally got rid of it because I was unable to put my a/c on the deck. I kept on ending up in the hold instead. I suspect that the .bgls hadn't been updated -- but that's only an assumption on my part -- maybe I just simply couldn't get it to work.
I decided to try another Waikato carrier (that's what they are) and succeeded with the install first time around.

Back to the file you've downloaded: carrierop1146.zip - I'll quote an excerpt of one of the included Readme files:

KNOWN ISSUES
============

I used Area 16 commands to harden my helipads in my Maui Oil rigs scenery and they seemed to be ok and i used them initially to harden my runway on the aircraft carrier. However there was obviously a problem with this as highlighted by other scenery developers ( read information below ) ... so i switched to invisible hardened runways BUT there is a catch....

There's something about FS2002 and these add-on runways that
requires the user to manually refresh the scenery library
if you fly far enough away and then return to the carrier.

You should do this: when returning to the carrier, as soon as you
pick up the VOR signal on 108.0 press ALT-W-I, UNCHECK AND
THEN RE-CHECK any scenery, then hit OK. That should refresh the
scenery and "wake up" the landable surfaces.

Add a reminder to your approach checklist.

If you dont do this the carrier looks like it is sitting on a sea blue hill which looks ridiculous. Its because the flatten file is not activated and the scenery tries to suck the sea up to the level of the hardened runway which in this case is at 66 feet ..
A more detailed explanation of this phenomena is explained below :

Known Elevated Helipad/hardened elevated runway Issues in FS2002:by J Morgan

In FS2000 and Prior, elevated helipads could be reliably made and used
with the commonly known SCASM Area16 syntax in routines as published by J.
McNulty and D. Barnes (Re: Helopad.api). FS2002, however, seems to have a
"refresh cycle" or something of that nature that periodically "dumps" the
Area16 elevated surfaces. Further confusing is the fact that the period
of this "dump" cycle seems to be random. Hopefully, if and when we get
a FS2002 Scenery SDK you C++ guys can enlighten us as to the reason for
this damnedable feature. Or, if there are any "sympathetic" MS scenery
engineers reading this, maybe you could help explain these "new
natures" and clue us how to design around it.

This FS2002 issue has forced the use of elevated invisible (small of course)
runways for use as helipads, which technique is used here. This seems to
work good, however, it requires a small (or any size appropriate to your
scenery project), FLATTEN AREA be located directly under the elevated hard
surface. If the flatten area is not placed under the elevated hard
surface, the elevated invisible runway literally "Sucks" the ground
terrain up to it's own altitude. On tall buildings, this is impressive
(Not).

Another "Quirk" to be dealt with: When originating a flight from the
scenery area and then flying approx 0.6 to 1.0 degrees away from the
area and then returning, the flatten areas will sometimes become
inactive, resulting in the above described condition where the ground
surface level terrain has been sucked-up to altitude of the elevated
helipad.

A quick fix for this is to simply select the Scenery Library
<Alt+World> and click on <scenery library> and press the <enter> key.
If you have properly activated the scenery in the Scenery Library as
directed above, this refreshes the flatten areas back to their proper
ground level altitudes and brings everything back into place.

As mentioned above, this only occurs in FS2002 (and maybe CFS2?).

So what does that tell us?

I won't take you through the installation process now because you might discover that it simply doesn't work and/or you might decide to try another carrier instead for starters.
That's actually what I'd suggest.

If you want to do it the easy way, downoad this carrier ➡

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=alphasim&CatID=fs2004scen&Go=Search

There is no other freeware carrier that's easier to install, it's solid and good looking and last but not least has only one Readme file 😎 That should give us hope.

After installation, test it. See if you can find it (it's part of the Readme file) and position an aircraft on the deck. If you can do this, your installation has been successful and I see no reason why it shouldn't.

Now... in order to takeoff and land on the carrier, extra 3rd party gauges will have to be installed, but we'll get to this later as I really don't want to write a tome at this stage and then find out that you're not really that interested.

I'd just like to point out to you that all freeware carriers require those gauges, it's just that this particular download doesn't include them which, IMHO is better.

Think about it and let us know if you wish to continue. It's really not all that complicated. If the likes of me can do it, so can you 😀

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

itwasluck, itmightbenice if you reply to the lengthy
answer that Tailhook has kindly supplied you with! 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
itwasluck Trainee

[quote="Tailhook"][quote="itwasluck"]Hi,

Hi all,

I thank everyone for attempting to help me. Over the weekend, I discovered that most downloads include installation.txt or readme.txt files with instructions pertaining to installation.

For the most part, I believe that I am on my way with this flight simulator add on experience. I installed the Nasa Challenge by reading one of the two .txt files. As Tailhook mentions in his response, the software developer also warns us about the potential problems that one may encounter if they add on the Carrier Challenge activity to their simulation programing. Thanks again!

Cheers.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Hope it all goes well for you,these things can get pretty complicated on times! 😀