hardware

Hello I am new to FS2004 and would like some ideas as to PC hardware that would be required.I currently have it installed on my Toshiba M70 with 1.7ghz centrino mobile and ATI mobility radeon X600 SE and 1gb of ddr 533mghz ram but when running 2004 it is not very smooth.Any sugestions would be much appreciated.Regards CB

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Hello I am new to FS2004 and would like some ideas as to PC hardware that would be required.I currently have it installed on my Toshiba M70 with 1.7ghz centrino mobile and ATI mobility radeon X600 SE and 1gb of ddr 533mghz ram but when running 2004 it is not very smooth.Any sugestions would be much appreciated.Regards CB

Your CPU is basic and the card isn't the best, most laptops aren't built for FS9.You can turn off shadows, lower traffic, simple clouds, lower the water, textures and scenery.
Flying over cities and at airports will cause the most problems, keep to the unpopulated areas, Alaska is very nice.

Using this will help https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2948/fsautostart-v11/ and defrag once a week.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
P14u2nv Trainee

I have installed FS9 with the patch on a Toshiba Satellite A105, 1.7cpu, ATI on board XPRESS 200M graphics and 1.5 G ram. OS is XP Home. I have installed mesh for most of the NE, Mega-Scenery NY and several light scenery upgrades for JFK, LaGuardia, Republic, etc. I have also installed many aircraft. Scenery is a hit and miss concerning frame rates. The key to getting close to 18-20 fps as I do is two programs that are freeware;

CachemanXP which will alleviate many latent programs still in memory

and

FSAutoStart which will turn off ALL programs that YOU decide you don't need to operate your flight sims. You will have to manually go through each program etc and turn them off when you use FSAutoStart.

I normally start with a fresh reboot then go to Windows Task Manager and go through ALL services that have my name and turn them off. Do NOT turn off any System or Services as this usually results in a reboot and you will have to start all over again. After I do this I then go to FSAutoStart and run that program. You will get then get a message stating the main program will begin in 30 seconds or so. This is when I energize CachemanXP and clean memory of all residual programs. I usually begin with 1.3 Gig ram allowed for FS9.

Now granted many scenery add ons are hit and miss due to frame rate issues and you just have to try each and decide. The reason I installed FS9 to this laptop is I found myself in a position to not have access to my higher end desktop system. Hope you make it happen and if I can help let me know. Just remember one thing; this CAN be done!

Good luck,
Pat

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...