Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

New graphics card

Pro Member Trainee
ddp Trainee

I'am wanting to buy a new graphics card for running fs9 but need some advice before i do it.
The ones i am looking at are
Gainward 7950GT 512mb Dual DVI GS
Gainward 8800GTS 640mb DVI-DVI
Gainward 8800GTS GS 640mb DVI-DVI

I need to know what power supply is needed and if it uses a special connector, do they take up more than one slot and can they run dual monitors.

If somebody can suggest a better card even better but my budget is about £270

Any other advice is welcome

My System
Intel P4 3.2ghz
1gb ram
ATI Radeon X600 (which i think is PCI Express x16)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

ddp wrote:

I'am wanting to buy a new graphics card for running fs9 but need some advice before i do it.
The ones i am looking at are
Gainward 7950GT 512mb Dual DVI GS
Gainward 8800GTS 640mb DVI-DVI
Gainward 8800GTS GS 640mb DVI-DVI

I need to know what power supply is needed and if it uses a special connector, do they take up more than one slot and can they run dual monitors.

If somebody can suggest a better card even better but my budget is about £270

Any other advice is welcome

My System
Intel P4 3.2ghz
1gb ram
ATI Radeon X600 (which i think is PCI Express x16)

The Gainward 8800GTS GS 640mb DVI-DVI appears to be the best card out of those three. It requires 2 slots and can run dual monitors.
Here are the official SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

• Intel Pentium 4, AMD Athlon or compatible CPU
• A minimum of 256MB system memory
• A minimum 400W system power supply with PCI-Express connector or two unused HDD power connectors available.
• CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
• Requires a PCI Express compliant motherboard
• Requires an available PCI Express slot

I would take those with a pinch of salt though and do some more research if I were you. Obviously you need much more than 256MB RAM just to runWindows XP and fs9 satisfactorily. You've got 1GB now, but that won't be near enough if you're thinking of running FSX.
Anyway, you can always upgrade your RAM, that's not a problem.

What worries me is the Pentium 4 spec, such a new, fast card as the 8800GTS GS I'm sure will run under a P4 -- but is a P4 sufficient to unlock the full potential of the card?

It is very easy to create a bottleneck here and it's done more often than not.
Of course the GFX card manufacturers always state the minimum requirements, just like Microsoft does with their Operating Systems because they want to sell their products.

In short, before buying an expensive card, it's best to make sure that the computer's CPU can handle the card COMFORTABLY.

Pro Member Trainee
ddp Trainee

Hi Tailhook

Thanks for the advice

I'am thinking of getting a new computer summer next year and one of the other reasons i need a new card at the moment is i bought another game which will not run with the X600 card it needs a ATI X1600 or NVidia 6600GT minimium so i thought if i bought a fast card now i could use it in the new computer, but then thinking about it i know what your going to say

" The card in the new computer will be as good or better than the 8800GTS GS "

You say that the CPU might not handle the card so what card would you recommend to get me through until i get my new computer and also be able to see a difference in FS9
At the moment the screen is jerky and if I'am at a big airport with lots of traffic the game pauses quite a lot.

Your advice is much appreciated and thanks in advance

ddp

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Well, GFX cards are not exactly my forte since, as is also the case with any other computer component, technology changes faster than I can think. I usually do in depth research when I need a new part. But that doesn't help you, does it Laughing

Considering both of your posts so far and me snooping with the help of my friend Google, I've formed the following picture:

Your current card is a budget card and/or quite old. Despite the fact that you'll be getting a new PC 'summer next year' -- I'm assuming you live in the UK -- which would make it the middle of '08, not to be able to enjoy your games for so many months is just not on.
On the other hand I would not spend too much on upgrades for my current PC.

I have a 6600GT and 2GB of system memory (RAM). The card is adequate for fs9 but hopeless when I'm running FSX.

I would suggest for you the nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT unless someone else has a better idea. This card will only take up one slot in your PC. What’s more, it only requires a single power connector so a 300W power supply should be sufficient.
This card won't break the bank, but should be able to carry you over until you get your new rig. Your CPU will be able to handle this card without a problem.

In your OP you mentioned fs9 -- that's what I kept in mind while thinking through this.

IF by any chance you're thinking of experimenting with FSX BEFORE you have your new PC, the card I'm suggesting will probably disappoint in the long run. So please keep that in mind Very Happy