Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

airport maps???

FLYER86 Guest

Very new to FS, and while i was having a muck around with the controls and everything, i stumbled upon this map, which gave me a really good out-lay of the airport i was at, and i am assuming, any airport i wanted to go to. it gave me the no's of the run ways, taxi lanes, and some more stuff, which has slipped my mind. But basically it gave a really nice look at the airport.

The BAD thing is, i cant remember how i got to it!! I really would love to be able to find it again, as goin to a new airport sucks when u dont have a clue where anything is or is called!

Any help, PLEASE 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Hit: <Alt> -- <W> -- <M>

You've got the map now. You can zoom in and out and pan around. Double click on the airport of your interest and the data will jump right into your face Fear

😀

FLYER86 Guest

Sweet. thankyou good sir! 😁

FLYER86 Guest

mmm, unfortunatly, thats not exactly what i was looking for, sorry. I'll give u an example.

Im flying a plane, coming into land at a unfamiliar airport. The tower, says, yep, land on runway 19 for example. How on earth am i meant to know what one is runway 19, when they usually there is a few different run ways? Then the tower tells me to taxi off and go to a1, then a2, then b2 turn offs, if that part makes sense? More so when taxing to take off, on a unfamiliar airport, how can i follow the directions, if i dont know where anything is?

Make sence, this is why i would like to be able to find that map again!!! hehe

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

FLYER86 wrote:

Im flying a plane, coming into land at a unfamiliar airport. The tower, says, yep, land on runway 19 for example. How on earth am i meant to know what one is runway 19, when they usually there is a few different run ways?

All this info is really accessible via the key combination I gave you. If you filed a flightplan, ATC will vector you to the RWY. You can observe your progress on the GPS by zooming in and out.
Having said that, it's a good idea to not only have situational awareness, but also to know airport data such es elevation and RWY numbers. You get this information by clicking on the airport and taking notes (write it down).

If it's all going a bit too fast for you at the beginning, just pause your flight and look up the data. If you want a visual perspective of the airport before you fly, get to the map and just keep zooming in until you can see the RWY numbers. This is handy when taxiing for take off.

Try this: In default cockpit (2D panel) mode, hit: <Alt> <V> <M> <D>
to get back to the cockpit: <Alt> <V> <M> <C>

Crystal clear? 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Pete (pdegraff) First Officer

I think we should add, just in case Flyer doesn't know, that runway numbers are their magnetic bearing divided by ten and rounded off. Thus Runway Number 34 refers to a runway for which you will be flying on a 340 degree magnetic heading (assuming no cross wind), or within five degrees of that bearing, when you are lined up to land on it.

Knowing this is really helpful in orienting yourself correctly as you approach an airport - and there are lengthy chapters in books about flying on the various ways of correctly entering an airport's landing pattern.

FS9 provides, in the list of airport info when you click on the map, the actual bearing of any runway that is equipped with an ILS landing sytem. For those runways that don't have ILS the "within five degrees" is adequate for getting aligned anyway.

All this assumes that one knows there is a difference, in most places, between True North and magnetic North, and that magnetic North is what we generally use for headings and bearings and to which we set our gyro compasses.

Respectfully, Pete

Pro Member Trainee
Greyson Bassett (greystone) Trainee

If you really want accurate airport diagrams and approach plates, check out this site: http://www.fltplan.com/

Click the yellow "Airport info" link and type in the ICAO identifier for the location you seek. You can join, if you need real world flight plans, but the airport info is free and updated regularly.

Happy skies.