SearchSearch 

Who wants to fly a Real Plane?

how many of you, who has never flown a real plane before, actually dream of flying a plane some day?

I used to fly C172, but time and money constrains lead me to the simulator.

18 Responses

Pro Member Captain
Karlw Captain

I fly the c172 now and I plan to go to the 747-8 and beyond

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

I fly Cessna 152 and Beechcraft Bonanza... Currently going for my Instrument Rating. I plan on turning aviation into a carrer. I dont dream about flying fixed wing as much as I now seem to be dreaming more about rotorcraft... Helicopters take Aviation to a whole new level!

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

I flew an airplane I think a week ago for the first time. I am currently going for my pilots license sorry if I misspelled anything. I flew a beechcraft sundowner. It is a nice sized aircraft but I had a little trouble but not that much. I am 6 foot 3 trying to fit in these little planes but it was roomy in there.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Hehe, Im 6'4 and I feel your pain! The Cessna 152 isnt so bad when it comes to room. I did get a chance to putt around in an associates Cessna 415 Twin... that was fun. Very roomy and luxiourous.

don't you find flying sim makes you more "aggressive" ? and that is dangerous when you switch back to a real plane?

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Absolutely not... There is a certain maturity level required to safely fly an aircraft of any kind. There is no comparison to flying the real thing with a simulator. When you are in a real aircraft, you have G-forces to deal with, they are positive feedback on the things that you do...

For instance, just like in the Training center on FSX, one thing you do is stall the aircraft... you have to know what a stall feels like, and how the aircraft will respond to a stall in order to properly and safely recover... when you pull back and climb, then pull out the throttle knob, your stomach instantly goes to your chest, your head feels light headed and slightly dizzy, and its nearly disorientating to someone who has never felt that before...

This move is downright boring in a simulator.... The simulator is nothing more than a fantasy world where you can do the things in which you would NEVER try and do in real life... it should also NEVER be considered a training aid for someone who is really learning to fly or going after their Private License. Virtual Simulators like the 737 they have in Europe, that can aid you properly, but a home PC with a joystick... hardly.

Pro Member First Officer
Jim (jellrod) First Officer

For my 10th birthday (that was 1965) I got a ride in a Bonanza and was hooked. Got my private on a Grumman Cheetah in 1979, and will fly anything the club has....

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

jellrod, how did you like that Bonanza? My grandfather owned a Bonanza and thats what I learned on. Its much easier to get your license when you have access to an aircraft, and do not have to pay the extra rental fees on top of instructor rates etc, insurance, etc...

Have you gotten a chance to fly a Bonanza other than for your 10th bday?

Pro Member First Officer

I think I mistyped what I thought I meant to say......LOL

I got a ride in a Bonanza for my 10th - didn't get to fly it. Hell, I would LOVE to take one up. And you are SOOOoo right about rental fees - it is getting cost prohibitive.....

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

I was a passanger 20 times in a et airliners, but only once i controlled the c172SP.

I flew out of the Buttonville airport, as well as the old Maple airport.

Pro Member Trainee
sniper45 Trainee

i went up in a piper arrow with my dad and he let my fly it and ive gotten to ride in a p-51 mustang and a f4u corsair.

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

I flew out of the Buttonville airport, as well as the old Maple airport.

you live in toronto? I am going to aircadets, and every month or 2 we got powerflying with Cessna172, and i am always flying it 😂

Pro Member First Officer

sniper45 wrote:

i went up in a piper arrow with my dad and he let my fly it and ive gotten to ride in a p-51 mustang and a f4u corsair.

I would give my eye teeth to fly a WWII Corsair! Hell, I'd love to see one in flight!

Pro Member Trainee
mat3329 Trainee

Oh god I wish I'd be flying real life, i can just imagine the feeling of taking off with a big airliner and fly across a nice clear night sky or jump in a small general aviation ac and just...fly....the more extreme the vehicle I'm driving the more I'm confortable controlling it. I also love planes as machines because I'm a mechanical engineer so...you know haha, incredible machines they are! 👍

x pilot Guest

Save the cash and do a PPL, are you a a/c engineer, thats a good job if you are, i did a year apprenticship after leaving school working on light aircraft then i saved up and did my PPL. proceeded to do my CPL, got loads of flying time then the company i worked for went bust and i couldnt get a job flying at the time so i packed it in!

i am trying to get my licence revalidated but its expensive and ALL the exmas to do again...

but it is possible to make dream comes true, do the engineer bit and fly on the side! way forward that.

Pro Member Trainee
DF112 Trainee

All of my 'real' flying has been in a Tiger Moth, flying out of Duxford. I'd love to learn properly and get my PPL in a Tiger, but I live a couple of hundred miles north of Duxford and I'm not aware of any vintage biplanes in the North east! I'm thinking of learning to fly microlights: cheaper, and there's a club not too far away from where I live.

I have to agree with previous posters here: the g-forces and the way the aircraft reacts to atmospheric conditions etc just can't be replicated in a PC simulator. Still, you CAN get a good feel for the delicacy of the controls of a real aircraft, which might give you a bit of a start if and when you go for flying lessons.

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

I have never flown in real life, but I aim to make flying a career. I am joining the air cadets and hope that if i get into a good uni then I can get Ba or some other company to sponsor me through training.
I have been in 737s and 777s of course when going to holiday and I just love every minute of it: The slight anticipation through the taxi and as we line up, then the feeling of power, then up... If just sitting in an airplane is this enjoyable for me then I cant image what actually contorlling a plane would be like but I definitely plan to find out!