Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Interesting Discovery Last night....

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

Well, I will try and be as brief as I can. I'm sure many of you have jobs and can't read these posts all day. And many of you may have already known this so excuse me for being late to the game.

I have a new HP with Windows Vista and a Nvidia 7350LE. It's performed quite well, but not the way I expected. tweak after tweak I could not figure out why the Video card settings were not sticking. Well, I finally decided to call Nvidia and they told me this is a know problem and that there are drivers that I should update. I would have never known this unless I called. Well the first driver fixed the video card, however the game stopped working, so I then got on the phone with HP and they told me that the original driver is the only one they have at the moment so go back to it. I did but the problem with the Card returned. The settings to do not take effect whenever I made changes. For those of you with a Nvidia card, you can see a preview when changing the settings. Well, mine did not do anything.
I called Nvidia back and they told me to try a Beta driver they have on their site and it seemed to work great. The game was fine. Now I need to tweak the settings for optimal use... I was up too late last night to enjoy the new setup.
One thing I noticed is that on the Free Flight page with the plane 3d image rotating, they were all white, no color, but when I played the game no problems. That was weird.... Any ideas?

Let me conclude by telling you that my experience with the support from Nvidia and HP was excellent. they were extremely helpful...

Well, I hope if there is anyone out there with a problem like this, they can resolve it now.

Pro Member Trainee
Craig (Sno0ze) Trainee

I've had the same with the rotating plane on the free flight page, except it goes black for me. That only happens for me if it's custom models/textures. I use 2 Nvidia 8800GTX's 768MB. I haven't had any problems with the settings, I also use Vista Ultimate. Really not sure about the settings problem. This might be a stupid question but you did save the cfg didn't you? If you did, I'de try deleting the cfg completely cause the file could be corrupted, maybe it's not the card.

Hope this helped.

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

I'm confused. What cfg? What is that? Why would I have to save this? The settings in FSX always stay to where I set them...
The Vcard definitely had issues, but now that's fixed.
Sorry, but not sure what you mean?

Pro Member First Officer
Jim (jellrod) First Officer

OK - so this is wierd, I have NVIDIA 7600 series and a new Gateway and Vista Ultimate, but I see the colors. It takes about a second or two for the colors to pop in, but they do show up. Strange.

Oh - cfg - configuration file, set the parameters for the application to use. If you have buggered up the cfg file, you may want to reload....

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

Never touched it.. Anyway, I just bought the Deluxe version because it's only $59 now, so I am going to uninstall the original version and install Deluxe tonight.

Pro Member First Officer
Jim (jellrod) First Officer

Let us know if the problem still persists! Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

With NVIDIA the AA settings can cause the menu aircraft not to show. Lower them to, try 2X.

The picture popping in can be the fault of the card not rendering the textures fast enough.
Old, bad, underpowered card (low p/s) or old drivers can cause that.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

Well. I installed FSX Deluxe and I'm getting a black plane in Free Flight. It's OK during missions or flight just while it's rotating on the menu Free Flight screen. Any ideas?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Michaelvg1 wrote:

I have a new HP with Windows Vista and a Nvidia 7350LE.

It's possible that there is misunderstanding all around - let's hope I'm wrong.
It seems to me that you don't have a graphics card as such, but onboard graphics instead. IMO that should be established first simply because the performance of a card cannot be compared to the performance of onboard graphics.

Pro Member Trainee
Craig (Sno0ze) Trainee

Michaelvg1 wrote:

I'm confused. What cfg? What is that? Why would I have to save this? The settings in FSX always stay to where I set them...
The Vcard definitely had issues, but now that's fixed.
Sorry, but not sure what you mean?

The cfg will be in your Documents folder here is the route it should be by default. C:/Documents and Settings/YOURUSERNAME/My Documents/Flight Simulator X Files

When you find it, delete it completely. When you reload FSX it will create a new one so don't worry.

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

I deleted FSX and installed FSX Deluxe, so now I am confused. I really do not want to mess with the config files at all. I am getting better performance now with the Vcard (on the motherboard) fix that Nvidia provided me and the Deluxe version has a lot better features. I am just getting a black plane in Free Flight. I believe others have too on this forum. Wondering if anyone has a fix. When I fly, it's fine.

One thing though. I was suppose to download a update SDK file, I did but it says it's not loaded. Is this some file that I must manually load onto my PC?

I don't want to mess with the Config files at all because SP1 is coming out in a couple weeks.