Computer Performance Improvement (Fans)

xsailor Guest

I have a gateway M680, 1 gb ram, pentium m 2 GHZ processor, ati x700 video card. not too shabby for a notebook, i have played everygame perfect until i started FSX.

Has any one been experiencing very frustrating performance when flying in FSX? Game stops, sometimes for a whole minute, when i'm cycling thru views, hittin "s".

Something that i hope might help improve performance is adding external coolant fans under the laptop. I had my laptop just shut down on me when i was playing Virtual Skipper 4, with best graphics because of over heating. My whole table gets warm when i'm playing games that require perfect graphics. Please don't tell me, drop the settings in the video menu to minimum.

Anyone has experienced with a powerful computer such problem? Anyone think fans might help?

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
BunnyMcguire Trainee

The fan will probabaly help but if you have a computer like that it can't handle FSX and other high performance games on the highest settings

I run FSX on my 3 yrs old HP. 1.6GHz, 2GB, 1680x1050 LCD, ATI R9200 64MB.

It is frustrating.
But that's all I have right now, so I tune down the sliders.

THe higher resolution you specified, the more clock cycle you need to calculate them.

THe higher resolution you demand, the more memory you need to place them.

Tips:
- remove the optional items. e.g. vehicles, boats, ships, AI traffic, etc.
- remove the shadows
- minimize the auto-gen
- minimize the weather
- if you only use the VC, reduce the a/c exterior detail

The fan won't do much for you. It won't improve your computer's performance. But keeping it cool will prevent it from burning out.
You should also pay attention to the harddisk temperate. Because it will be the first to go. TO monitor the temperature, you can download a free thermometer from the web.

Pro Member Trainee
BunnyMcguire Trainee

If you have something like Guest has, you should get more memory on your video card(256 at least) and for even more enhanced performance, mor RAM.

Pro Member Trainee
Craig (Sno0ze) Trainee

Yeah I have to agree with Bunny, cooling will only get you so far. Nobody get's above 35fps on FSX without the some of the best of components. And a laptop just won't cut it. Here's my system -

MSI P6N Nvidia nForce 680
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.6Ghz
3GB Ram
400MB Samsung Sata
2 x Nvidia 8800GTX's 768MB SLi Ready
Atrix 720Watt PSU Dual Silent Fan
Windows Vista Ultimate

Now even with that, the maximum fps I have ever gotten on the ground at an airport has been 16fps. In the air it can go up to 35 but rarely does, and landing it goes down to 16 - 20. That is far from high performance, and without boasting here the comp is really good. I know of one person who has reached 60fps, but he has a Intel Quad Core Extreme. And most people just cannot afford it. If you want to get half decent performance out of FSX for one, it's going to take a desktop comp + my setup at the very least! And I run it at close to full on everything.

BunnyMcguire wrote:

If you have something like Guest has, you should get more memory on your video card(256 at least) and for even more enhanced performance, mor RAM.

unfortunately, with most notebooks, you cannot add graphics RAM. Sad

xtrmsimmr Guest

the 2 x Nvidia 8800GTX's 768MB SLi definitely make a difference.

You also have to tune the cards; to properly allocate the work between the card and the CPU, to make the most out of the card. I trust that you have read all the tunning guides.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...