Setting Up Automatic Spoilers in Flight Simulators

Pro Member Trainee
Ohiosimmer Trainee

Now I know there is an automatic brake, but someone in another post mentioned an automatic spoiler,.....now if this is available would someone please tell me how to set it?

Thanks.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

How about auto arm spoilers so they automatically actuate at touchdown. Press Shft + /

This doesn't work on aircraft that doesn't support "arm spoilers"

Pro Member First Officer
Elkinallen First Officer

I make the spoilerhandle in view in the cockpit so I can allways see its position. Sometimes It won't set or something. I reduce the size of the 'throttle' window and drag it out of viw down to the bottom left of my screen so I can only see the spoilerhandle. When I hit SHF+/ I can see iif it set properly and such.

Just input for an idea 👍 Idea

Pro Member Trainee
Ohiosimmer Trainee

I am a little slow here tonight, so when do I press shft + /, because I usually just press / when I need to arm the spoiler, so why would I press shft / , and when?

Thank you folks

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Ohio,

The procedure within most Airliners that have AutoSpoiler arming, is that just prior to FINAL APPROACH, you would arm the Autobrakes, and arm the Spoiler by pressing SHIFT + / .......

If you just press "/" you will immediately raise the spoilers and this could greatly affect your descent or Glideslope progress, possible causing the aircraft to slow down too quickly, or to cause the craft to descent at too sharp an angle.

By pressing SHIFT + / the spoilers are armed and will activate when the wheels are down, or when the Engines reach Idle.

Pro Member Trainee
Ohiosimmer Trainee

Thank you so much.........now I know I actually was scared to use it earlier, cause I thought that the spoilers might arm too early I am going to use it today and I hope it works........

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Indeed, just like the autobrake, the flight simulator allows for the setup of auto-spoilers. These spoilers automatically deploy upon landing, assisting in aerodynamic braking, thereby reducing your landing distance. Here's a step-by-step guide on setting it up:

• [Initialization]: Begin by opening your Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004.
  • [Aircraft Selection]: Choose the desired aircraft (not all aircraft might support this feature).
  • [Menu Access]: Navigate to the top menu and click on the Assignments option.
  • [Control Settings]: Here, you'll find a plethora of controls. Look for one labeled Spoilers (Toggle) or a similar phrase.
  • [Binding]: Assign a key or button from your joystick/controller for this function.

Once you've done this, during your flight, simply activate the spoilers by pressing the key/button you've assigned. They will auto-deploy upon touchdown.

Advanced Tip: If you're moving on to platforms like Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 or X-Plane 12, this function also exists, and the steps are relatively similar, ensuring a consistent experience across platforms.

Remember, effective use of spoilers will greatly influence your landing performance, especially in tricky runways or challenging weather conditions. Practice makes perfect, so the more you familiarize yourself with this feature, the better your landings will be.

Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...