Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Now the bl**dy thing won't start!

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

Hi guys n gals.
Right, God only knows what's happened here...
I installed a load of addons, such as Learjet textures, and AEU etc. When I tried firing FS9 up, nothing, just stops responding.
"Silly me for not backing my files up" I thought, bit the bullet and reinstalled FS9 from scratch.
Now it just won't start up. I don't really get it, as it was a complete uninstall.
Only thing I think it may be is that as my sis-in-law used my computer, and kept changing my security settings, I password-protected, and made the "My documents" folder private.
Anyone got any ideas? I seem to spend more time fannying with this than flying it! I'm reaching the end of my tether!
Ta.
Sad Steve. Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Sounds like a nightmare Steve.... It's hard to offer advice without seeing the config of your PC and Windows XP....

One idea may be to do a "System Restore" to one of the Restore Points held on your PC. In theory this will revert the PC to before the problems started.

The System Restore area within Windows XP is found by clicking on START and going to "Help & Support"..... then go for "Tools" and choose "System Restore".

Good luck, hope you get flying soon!

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

Oh yeah..
Windows XP SP1
Athlon 2800+
512 Mb
80Gb HDD
256 Mb Radeon 9600 Pro.

The only problem with system restore is it would remove all the previous settings for Doom3, Tiger Woods, Beyond Good & Evil etc.
Maybe thumping the keyboard a bit more when I get in will make me feel better.
It is a Microsoft keyboard, so in a way, I think it will.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's easy to say don't load more than one add-on at a time. If you can remove all that you added that may bring it back to normal.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

I was assuming a complete uninstall, including all saved files and settings would solve the problem. Let alone TWO complete uninstalls.
Still, thanks for trying.
\Nice knowing you guys, I give up.
Goodbye

Steve.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Steeev,
When you said that you did a complete uninstall did you do a careful search in the hidden files and folder also.
You have to completely wipe all remnants of the sim from your machine to get it back again.
I've seen many simmers do a clean install of Windows just to purge the old parts of the sim from the machine.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

"Steeev,
When you said that you did a complete uninstall did you do a careful search in the hidden files and folder also.
You have to completely wipe all remnants of the sim from your machine to get it back again.
I've seen many simmers do a clean install of Windows just to purge the old parts of the sim from the machine.

Could be a bad install.

Just to add to that good advice from Radar, there are entries in the Windows Registry that should be removed as well .

Make sure your machine is completely clean of malware. If you are not running programs like Spyware Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Adaware, and there are others, get them and run them.

If you even think there is any kind of virus/Trojan activity then use this to scan your machine:

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp

"If you are not a Trend Micro customer please download the following file"

Sysclean Package (sysclean.com)

You also need to get the latest pattern file from here:

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp

Put the sysclean.com in a directory (your 'desktop' will be fine)

then unzip the pattern file (ipt170.zip) to the same directory)

then just run sysclean.com from there.

Unlike a lot of online scanners, this program will actually stop running processes and fix things,

Clean up your hard drive
disk cleanup
Run Chkdsk (check option to automatically correct file system errors) you will have to reboot to let it run
Defrag the volume where you intend to install it just before the install.

Make sure you have lots of space on the drive you are going to use
eg: after fs9 is installed you should have at least 15 to 25% free space left.

Turn absolutely everything off including your antivirus program/sceensavers, before starting the install