What went wrong with my landing?

I was flying the 747 400 for the first time, i have FS2Crew activated, makes flying so much more fun.

Anyway, the first problem was that the airport was 16miles away and i was atleast 17000 ft in the air and it was asking me to turn, align up and land basically. Unfortunately i couldn't do that so i continued to over 25 NM away and turn the aircraft round for the correct runway, i intercepted the localiser and the ILS, APPR was set and i was travelling at 170Kts with flaps at 10 coming into land, gear was still up as i was 12NM away from the airport. But then all of a sudden the nose rose up and i just dropped out of the sky. What went wrong here? Was i going to slow i stalled?

This is however my first flight in a 747 but i've read that this plane should land at 145Kts. Im baffled, please help. Whats the correct procedure in a 747.

Could fuel play a vital part in the weight and speed scenario causing me to stall. Im not sure, maybe i did something wrong.

Just to rule out the Auto Pilot APPR was working well, it was aligning me for the runway perfect, it wasn't this that made me fall from the sky.

Thanks.

Joske

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
illizit Trainee

Flaps at 10? I think thats your problem!
Put full flaps and slow to 160, you should be fine.

Explain why full flaps, surely flaps at 10 shouldn't cause much problems, after all its only a little drag whereas Full flaps would cause alot of drag.

Is there a procedure either on here or pdf form i can read for 747 approaches. Thanks.

Pro Member First Officer
rowcoach First Officer

do you use the keyboard or a joystick when you fly? The reason I ask is because I started flying with the key board only. Any time I took the ALT hold key off on the autopilot, the plane would continue to fly in what ever configuration I had the plane in before I turn the AP on - usually take off. This may be what is happening with you. As you line up with the runway, the AP turns off the altitude lock so you can glide in. If you didn't zero out your trim before turning the autopilot on, your plane will try to climb instead of sink.

full flaps do cause more drag true, but they also provide more lift when you are moving at low speeds.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Flaps create drag, yes... but they also create lift!!! You must have full flaps when landing thr 747... also, how much fuel was onboard?

I had over 100 x lbs of fuel. It said 100 in the bottom corner under the engine dials. The trim was set to 8 when landing. I assume the trim was the death of my flight. Never use trim much.

Joske

Forgot to say thanks.

Thanks! 😀

Joske

12NM away,170 KTS,Flaps 10.......you stalled I reckon.

What altitude?

I was at around 3000ft.

So when do i apply the flaps etc and at what speed. Please help.

Pro Member First Officer
Jim (jellrod) First Officer

To find out what flaps you need set at what speeds, look at the knee board (SHIFT+F10) then select reference, and it will tell you what speeds you can set the flaps. Each aircraft is differnet, so if Flaps at 40 for 145 knots is good for a 37, it might tear them of a CRJ. CHeck each aircrafts SPec page. It also tells you what your approach and landing speeds are.....

Now, as to WHEN should you be at those speeds, you need to think ahead of the situation. If you need to lkand at 145knots, you need to fly the final leg of the approach at 145 knots. I start to slow when I begin my initial decent. COme out of cruise and begin to slow. Nothing faster than 250 knots under 10,00 feet (FAA rules), then continue to slow as you decend. Be at your approach speed once you are lined up on final.

Thanks Jellrod.

Well i tried it again, this time i did exactly the same as before. I looked at the stab trim which is always set at 8 and auto pilot always readjusts it back to 8. As i tried to lower it as someone mentioned the plane went into a dive.

So i tried it again this time left the trim, landing fine however the plane wasn't perfectly lined up with the runway i had to turn off autopilot early to shift the aircraft centre with the runway. It was a overcast landing with rain, not too sure on the wind.

So back to my original question, i still dont know why it crashed however i flew exactly the same the third time and it worked perfectly.

Joske

Pro Member First Officer

You say you used the stab trim...but you never mentioned anything about using the flaps. Trim is only to be used to fine tune the flight characteristics. Once you MANUALLY get the plane flying straight and level, you use the trim to fine tune - get rid of the drift (climb/decend). Dont use trim to try and fly the airplane. Thats what the stick and pedals are for. If you are Autopilot engaged, the airplane trims itself. If you disconnect the AP, the trim will kick in and it may take you up or down.

Now - if you had the ILS freq laid in NAV 1, and the APPR engaged, there is no reason why the runway should not have been lined up, unless you were in a monsoon, which I doubt. From a few miles out, it may appear you are not lined up, but you are. Dont get nervous. One thing yo have to learn as a pilot is to TRUST YOUR INSTRUMENTS....especially when you are blind IFR. We can only help you so much. Without knowing what switches are where, what freqs are laid in and engaged speeds settings and flap setting, we are guessing a bit. It would make our troubleshooting a little easier if you could write out exactly, step-by-step what it is you are doing and when.

Jellrod i seem to be flying ok. I do use the flaps and adjust speed as appropiate, but i dont trust the autopilot for landings, i've rarely landed dead centre with the runway with the autopilot.

The trim was mentioned to be adjusted when i come in for the approach aswell as doing the other stuff like flaps etc. I never used the trim to land, LOL.

If i dont touch the trim it will fly perfect, messing with it just causes complications.

Im not sure but the OBS is missing on the 747 well atleast a dial version is. Im assuming the nav/gps window the obs is in the top right corner, but it only does increments of 10. So instead of doing 187, i need to do 190. Is this supposed to be like that. My heading guage also works in increments of 10 only on the 747. But i do have FS2Crew 747 add on installed.

Thanks.

Joske

Pro Member First Officer

I dont know - I dont fly the 47, I like the 37 and Lear personally. I'll look when I get home tonight.

Pro Member First Officer
rowcoach First Officer

there is an OBS on the 747. It is in the window of the HSI. Look in the top right corner I think. Drag your mouse pointer over it and depending on what side of it you're on, you'll either get a + or a -. Adjust course that way and you'll be fine.

If you read what i put again you'll probably found the same thing i did. However why does it do it in increments of 10.

Joske

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...