Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

GA aircraft at high elevation

guest Guest

Does anyone have a link to any articles regarding flying at higher elevations? When flying out of Denver or mountain airports, i can't seem to gain altitude. I know this is due to the thinner air but does anyone have any tips on flying GA at higher elevations?

PH Guest

All aircraft have a service ceiling and an absolute ceiling. At this altitude (absolute) it is impossible to get a +ROC. What a/c is it you are trying to use? Only advice is to slap a turbocharger on it!!

guest Guest

I am trying to fly a C172 or 182, and i don't think that exceeds ceiling.

Pro Member First Officer
Elkinallen First Officer

I was a Mountain flying instructor pilot in Salt lake for 4 years.

It's all about Density altitude. Like if you were trying to breathe on top of Mt. Everest. The plane doesn't have enough air to breathe to get full power. AND your true airspeed has to be HIGHER (Indicated allways stays the same).

Even Super/turbocharged planes cannot perform as well, better! But not the same as at SL. The air effects -thin air- the propeller, wings and and.

I'll help more with other than Einstein answers if you wish?!?!

guest Guest

I somewhat understand density altitude and how if affects the performance of the aircraft, i gues what i was wondering is are there any tutorials or articles that could help me learn to handle the A/C at higher altitudes.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

guest wrote:

I somewhat understand density altitude and how if affects the performance of the aircraft, i gues what i was wondering is are there any tutorials or articles that could help me learn to handle the A/C at higher altitudes.

See if this will help.

http://www.canyonflying.com/lightenup.html

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

You must keep your weight light, I.E. half tanks, only one passenger in the plane, Don't try to fly during the heat of day, this makes it even worse. Try to start your flight in early morning or late in the day when it's cooler. You will always need more rnwy to takeoff at high alt. Also don't expect more than a 400-500 fpm climb rate. Just make sure you have enough speed before you lift off the rnwy, 75-80 kt. ias.

PH Guest

Echoing Leadfoot and Elkinallens posts it would be advantageous to take a look at the POH of the a/c you would be using. That would be my first port of call.....every aircraft reacts differently albeit all props will suffer with an increase in altitude. Back to DA example for a 4500ft runway in the middle of the afternoon on a hot day DA can become easily near 7000ft. Take Denver which is about 6500ft fly in the middle of Summer again in the afternoon.....this could be approaching 10K DA. Most 172's etc have a service ceiling of 13-15K feet (did not realise that it was that high!). I would imagine those figures quoted are at a low weight so with a bit of fuel on......
Try changing the weather from summer afternoon very hot and then try a winter morning. You should see the difference. Regarding the take off I seem to remember Denver having a very long runway due to its elevation so in a light a/c (SE) I was trained to let it fly itself off the ground....except on short runways!

Elkin Guest

Right PH ALL performance values in a POH are at gross weight of the aircraft unless it states otherwise in a particular section.

DA can easily keep an aircraft on the ground at a high alt airport on a hot day.