Geforce 7800 And FSX

Pro Member Trainee
XxEastwoodxX Trainee

Hi there, I'm not new to the Flight Sim genre but I am certainly new to what exactly is required to run FSX on full power, so to speak.

My question is if I go ahead and purchase a Geforce 7800 graphics card will this fix my problem as I stated above. Right now I'm running FSX on a practically brand new HP, and getting around 24 fps with absolutely no autogen, 60% vehicle traffic, Airline traffic set to 65%, water graphics set to none, and airport traffic set to medium, This seems to get me a pretty fast fps' but whenever I try to add any autogen it drops substantially this is why I feel a ultra fast card will do the trick. Am I right or not. I have no Idea.

I know for a fact that my graphics card is definitely not up to par for what FSX demands but I'm wondering before I go and buy a $300.00 card will it give me what I'm hoping for, or is there more to getting the game to run full tilt than simply buying a better graphics card. This is a link to the specs on my actual computer http://shopper.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-media-center/4014-3118_9-32115355.html. Simply click the "full specifications" bar on that page.

If a better graphics card solely does not fix this problem could some one tell me what steps I must take in order to have the game run with exceptional frame rates, gorgeous visuals and lots of life on the ground E.g. (Animals, Trees, Cars, and other aircraft) 😂 of course I am willing to sacrifice some stuff that is pointless like having a giraffe running on the ground while you fly at 35k above Africa, but I would definitely love to have lots of vehicles and airport traffic, ultra high scenery graphics and full autogen. Essentially anything that makes flying what it is I want it. If anyone wishes I have a video from youtube that at least shows what I am looking for. Is this possible by simply buying a new card????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t76sA8mHDI4

Thanks for the time,

-XxEastwoodxX

Answers 19 Answers

Jump to latest
onlymee Guest

hi, for starters I would hold off with upgrading to the Geforce 7800 and instead look for a 8600GT or even better a 8600GTS......not only is the 8600 similar price/performance but it's also DirectX10.

As for having the traffic set to 65% I should expect you have or will require a very powerful CPU....Intel Duo Core maybe.

without a doubt your graphics performance should double with the video card upgrade...but make sure your current pc will accept a video card upgrade first 🙂

XxEastwoodxX wrote:

Hi there, I'm not new to the Flight Sim genre but I am certainly new to what exactly is required to run FSX on full power, so to speak.

forget it. FSX was NOT designed to run at full power NOW.
no computer/graphics card can run FSX at full power.

MS has put SOOOOOO much realism in the game, it was designed from the very beginning with the future hardware in mind.

So relax, settle back, push the slider a bit to the left... and enjoy.

The best is yet to come.

Pro Member Trainee
Bob Suchowierski (Bob-Ski) Trainee

🍻

I have the 7800 that I over-clocked. It works well however I got more mileage from Tweaks a good place to start is

https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/3806/

Make sure you make a BACKUP of your CFG file.

Bob[/b]

Pro Member Trainee
XxEastwoodxX Trainee

Thanks Bob-Ski, I was just wondering how well it works for you. Do you have nice visuals and fast FPS???

Regards, 🙂

XxEastwoodxX

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

I am running 2 7800GT's in SLi and I get great performance. I bought them new for $129.00 each from NewEgg.com. I would recommend the new 8600GT's though if you are buying new. They run in the low $200's and newer technology and Direct X10.

AstroSteve

Pro Member Trainee

XxEastwoodxX wrote:

Thanks Bob-Ski, I was just wondering how well it works for you. Do you have nice visuals and fast FPS???

Regards, 🙂

XxEastwoodxX

🍻

I’m still working on that. I use 2 screens; well I call them 2 screens. I use a LCD to keep track of the instruments and a DLP projector for everything else. I get great outside views on the DLP screen however you have to keep in mind I’m looking at a house movie screen 72 x 48. I can’t fill the entire screen. I would have to have the projector behind me and haven’t figured out how to do that yet. The other thing is LIGHT. It’s best at night in the dark. Other than that it looks good.

Bob

P.S. I also have a TrackIR set-up

Pro Member First Officer

I love my 7800GT's, but no sense buying them now with the 8600GT's out.

Pro Member Trainee

astrosteve wrote:

I love my 7800GT's, but no sense buying them now with the 8600GT's out.

🍻

My Current System is
GeForce 7800 GSOC APG, Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz I also have 2.5 of memory.
I’m going to hold off buying a new system until I retire. Don’t laugh I’m close to it. I may not have a choice by the end of the summer. When I do get a new one it’s going to be for my Flight Simms only. Also the way the faster CPU(s) / GPU(s) and memory keep coming out what’s fast today is avg. the next. If you try to keep up with the changes by the time you were done you wouldn’t have a pot to Pee in or a window to dump it out of.

Bob

Pro Member First Officer

I am running the PCI-Ex 16 versions in SLi mode and love them. Here is a smoking hot price on a nice video card!!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130087

Enjoy retirement!!!!! 🍻

Pro Member Trainee

🍻

Why does the GeForce 7800 GSOC have a built in fan? I know about the heat but the one you have the link to looks like the old one I just took out without one. Is it because of the Over-clocking?

Retirement won’t be by choice I may have to because of an accident last year. Anyway we will see.

Bob

P.S. I did push it up by about 20% and WOW!!!!

Pro Member Trainee
XxEastwoodxX Trainee

So I don't understand, if say I go with the 8600GT, its only 256mb so then do I buy two cards to equal the 7800's 512mb, or is one 8600GT going to be powerful enough to get me the results I’m looking for??? is that why some people buy two cards??? 😕 I’m just trying to guarantee myself a "happy ending" so to speak with this pricey decision. This is my current PC specs,

• Tower
• 1 x Athlon 64 X2 5000+ / 2.6 GHz
• RAM 2 GB
Geforce 6150 LE 256mb
• HD 1 x 320 GB
• DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
• Mdm
• Win XP MCE 2005
• Monitor : 20” Samsung LCD

Based off this could someone tell me if my processor is fast enough (hopefully it is), Do I have enough RAM, what graphics card do I get, 7800 or 8600GT, how much does it cost to upgrade to Dx.10,and if it is even worth upgrading to Dx.10 if I go with an 8600GT (Is Dx. 10 required to use the 8600 GT?), and lastly is it wise to get two 256mb 8600gt’s if getting two cards installed in one computer is even possible to do. And of course when I say all this I understand that my current PC specs are good enough to “run” FSX, however I want to get some really sweet visuals and game play coming out of FSX 🙂 😎 so can someone tell me how I’m going to do this.

Regards,

-XxEastwoodxX

Last edited by XxEastwoodxX on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Trainee

🍻

Before you start spending more and more money first see what happens after you Tweak FSX. I picked up 10 to 15 FPS. See if you can over-clock the GPU you now have.

And take a look at this. If I can do it anyone can. MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR .CFG FILE FIRST!!!!!!

http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92583

Bob

Pro Member Trainee

I think I'll go fly for a few hours. Have fun.

Bob 🍻

Pro Member Trainee
XxEastwoodxX Trainee

I have been tweaking, just about to test and see if one of the tweaks boosts my Fps. 😀 In general though would a 7800 be a sure bet to boost fps and graphical quality based off what you see on my pc specs? its just a lot more convenient for me to go to Future Shop and pick one up 😛 , than to order an 8600gt off the internet.

Cheers, 😎 😀

-XxEastwoodxX

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

If you go with Duo Core processor be sure that it's one of the Eseries, something to the effect of "E4300" or something like that. I have a DuoCore 2.8 Ghz but it's one of Pentium D series. My FSX studders like it crazy and I usually need to bring all settings down to their lowest where there are virtually no buildings and traffic is at 5 or 6% - rather annoying...

- Kareem

System:

Vista Ultimate
Pentium D945 Duo core 2.8GHz
Intel 945PSNLK mobo
EVGA 7600GT 256 Megs - graphics card
2 Gig DDR2 ram
500 Gig SATA HDD Western Digital (2 drives)

Pro Member Trainee

XxEastwoodxX wrote:

I have been tweaking, just about to test and see if one of the tweaks boosts my Fps. 😀 In general though would a 7800 be a sure bet to boost fps and graphical quality based off what you see on my pc specs? its just a lot more convenient for me to go to Future Shop and pick one up 😛 , than to order an 8600gt off the internet.

Cheers, 😎 😀

-XxEastwoodxX

🍻

The only thing I can say is “One mans meat is another mans poison” what works for me, as far as overall looks and performance, may not work for you. The way I look as it is; if your happy then, well, your happy. If not you’ll just have to keep dumping money into the box until you are. I’m not trying to be funny that’s just a fact. Me….I would rather fly and improve my skills then keep worrying about how everything looks and is “My dog uglier than your dog” I have only one other thing I would like to try to do only because I have a old NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 AGP Graphics Card 256 MB DDR (Not that old) and want to try using it as a slave with my GeForce 7800 GS my problem(s) are….First I don’t know if I can even do that…..2nd I don’t have an open slot to put it in but I saw ribbon cables that would allow you to use one slot for 2 cards (CAN’T FIND THE SITE AGAIN ANY HELP?) and 3rd will it do anything for me? You just have to set your priorities what do you want to do spend money or fly or a little of both? I hope this gives you a little idea about how Bob Ski thinks about things.

Bob Ski

🍻

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Why is people recommending a NVidia 8600 GTS/GTX video card when the NVidia 8800 GTX/GTS series is the best on the marrket? Is it because the 8600 is cheaper?

Pro Member Trainee
XxEastwoodxX Trainee

Thanks for your help guys, especially Bob-Ski! I went ahead and bought a Geforce 8800 GTS and it runs FSX to the level I was hoping, probably, even better than I hoped for.

Currently running FSX with 30% Airline traffic, 60% Highway traffic, Water effects set to High 2.0X, Full autogen, full Scenery Density, and everything else set to ultra high and am getting around 22.3 FPS on the ground and around 50 FPS at high altitudes, over cities like KSFO, KLAX, EGLL, LFPO, and VHHH. Over all I am thrilled at the end results, but then again I expected nothing less when I dropped that kind of coin on a piece of plastic 😛

Regards,

-XxEastwoodxX

Last edited by XxEastwoodxX on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Trainee

Good Luck
🍻

Bob Ski

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...