Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

IFR Question

bobbyz Guest

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I was wondering about how IFR actually works (not how to set it up in FSX, but how it works)

When I set up an IFR I file it (I assume) with ATC at the start airport, and they give me a squawk code. As I then progress along the route I get passed from ATC to ATC who know both the cruising altitude I have selected and also where Iím headed. How does this info get passed from ATC to ATC; I assumed it was squawk code that identified the route and destination but now Iím not so sure.

Apologies again if this is obvious

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Er, not sure if the answer to my question was in the link you posted.

I was just interested to know how all the various ATCs that I talk to when flying an IFR from A to B know what my flight plan is.

I know I file it with the ATC at airport A but how do all the others know what it is. For instance, how does the ATC at airport B know I want to land there.

bobbyz Guest

Would transponder be the answer to my question?

Pro Member First Officer
Charlie10 First Officer

You might find it interesting to borrow a book from the library on IFR. It would give you a better understanding of how things work, and possibly answer questions that you may not have thought of before. I think it could add to your enjoyment of flight simulator flying.