SearchSearch 

Which graphics card?

Pro Member Trainee
Mavix Trainee

Which of these grqphics cards would work best for FSX?
ATi Radeon X1300 Pro Super 256Mb (128 bit memory interface)
Ati Radeon X1600 Pro 512Mb (128 bit memory interface, ddr3)
or ATi Radeon X800GTO 256 Mb(256 bit memory interface, ddr)

All of these are PCI-E and are manufactured by Palit.

8 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

Assuming you are looking at these cards because of your limited budget for purchasing, right???

The X800 is the best of those 3, but see if you can get a hold of an X850 512mb Platinum Edition. Are you in USA????

When looking at buying a card it's good that you are looking at the amount of memory interface. Most people confuse this with the physical memory of the card, they are seperate. The higher that number the better off you are. Second look at how many pipeline's the card has. The more the better. Clock speed and memory speed are least important, but a small factor.

Pro Member Trainee
Mavix Trainee

Yes, I am on a limited budget, and no, I live in South Africa

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Seems the concienous opinion is that FSX performance is more dependent on central processor unit (CPU) rating. You might be disappointed if you spend your budget on a better video card.

FSX is and will remain a DX9 game, so premium DX10 cards would be budgetary overkill, but FSX does utilize duel processor CPUs. I saw a bigger FSX performance improvement upgrading from 3ghz pent 4 to 2.4ghz core2duo CPU than I saw replacing ATI 1600pro with 8800GTX. I will say this about the 8800GTX, I can hang more and bigger monitors running higher resolutions & colors on it without effecting FSX performance.

yes, I read somewhere (I wish I had bookmarked it) that FSX is more CPU intensive than GPU intensive. At least that's how it was programmed from the beginning. Because the FSX team wanted the game to be able to played in a wider array of computers, than to focus on the top end hardware with fancy graphic cards.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

How cool is that!!! The 7600GT (which is slower than the GTKO) is rated BETTER than anything ATI has produced in FSX... SWEET.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

yes, I read somewhere (I wish I had bookmarked it) that FSX is more CPU intensive than GPU intensive. At least that's how it was programmed from the beginning. Because the FSX team wanted the game to be able to played in a wider array of computers, than to focus on the top end hardware with fancy graphic cards.

That was probably myself that said that. Ive been going around here trying to convince people of this... that is why the GPU temps do not rise when the simulator is in motion... you will also notice that the Auto-Throttle feature does not rev up the card when the application is started... that is because FSX is not classified as "3D" and does not signal the GPU to do anything...

You can downlaod RivaTuner and just monitor the GPU and see for yourself if you would like proof. Thats one of the many tests I did to prove this.