Need help once again.

Pro Member First Officer
HowardsRock First Officer

OK...I'm having the same problem I had a few months ago. Nobody had an answer, but miraculously, it just started working again...first intermittently, then pretty much all the time...but I digress.

Regardless of the plane I'm in, I'm at full throttle on the runway, but get VERY little acceleration. It takes over 8000 feet of runway to get the Cessna off the ground! Also, as you might imagine, it takes me FOREVER to get anywhere! And then when I go to instant replay, the replay counts the seconds down VERY slowly (like 3 real-time seconds between replay seconds).

Here's the situation:
The sim time is not accelerated nor slowed...it is set at Normal.
This happens in EVERY plane.
This happens whenever I use FS9 on either of 2 WindowsXP user profiles.
Reinstalling FS9 doesn't help.
Reinstalling XP only helps intermittently, if at all.
All hardware is set to full acceleration.

Has ANYONE ever experienced anything like this before? I LOVE flight simming, and I don't want to have to give it up because of this, so PLEASE HELP!!!!

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Karlw Captain

mabye all your planes are overweight go to fuel and see or mabye your trim is set down to far that rotation takes much longer

Pro Member First Officer

No it has nothing to do with any of that kind of stuff. I really don't think it has anything to do with FS9 at all.

Something outside of FS9 is causing this. A process perhaps (although nothing is hogging resources), maybe malware I can't find, perhaps a hidden conflict with a driver of some sort...I have no idea.

But I do know it has nothing to do with overweight planes or trim or any kind of program or plane setting, because I haven't changed any of those things since it was working before. Besides, those types of things don't explain the slowdown of time in replay mode.

I guess this is more of a cry for help on the OS/hardware side of things as opposed to the FS9 software.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

You've got quite the mystery there indeed.

What is your CPU load, and Pagefile / memory usage under normal conditions (when flying) ?

I have experienced this once before, which was when I was in a terminal session, i.e. my own PC was running the sim, and I was controlling my PC from another one, using a terminal session. All indicatiors of speed and sim rate were normal, but in 60 minutes I only progressed 220 nm instead of the 440 that I should have progressed according to the GS readout.

Pro Member First Officer

How did you fix it? Any recommendations?

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

....I closed the terminal session and went back to sitting behind my PC rather than controlling it remotely.... 😕

Back to your CPU load and mem usage...and also what FPS do you get?

I assume FS9 is the only program running, no other heavy load on your system?

Pro Member First Officer

I don't have it in front of me, but if I recall correctly, FS9 was topping out at around 280MB of RAM before takeoff (CPU load was around 50%). The only other processes I remember seeing were:

svchost - 30-40MB of RAM
explorer.exe - 30-40MB of RAM

That's really about it. I had a few other small necessary processes running, but nothing I would be naturally suspicious of.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Out of curiosity, did you ever remove your FS9.cfg, found in C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9\

Just exit FS9, cut & paste that file to your desktop, restart FS9 and see if the sim restores itself to all default settings.

If no difference, place the file back in it's original place.

Then, next on my question list would be:

Can you tell, at normal sim rate, how long a "FS9 second / minute" actually lasts, and is this consistant or does it vary?

What FPS do you get?
What are your full system specs?
How much free space on your harddisk(s)?
Does it make any difference in FS performance if you disable your LAN connection?

Pro Member First Officer

ARD-DC wrote:

Out of curiosity, did you ever remove your FS9.cfg, found in C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9\

Just exit FS9, cut & paste that file to your desktop, restart FS9 and see if the sim restores itself to all default settings.

If no difference, place the file back in it's original place.

Yes I have already tried this. The behavior is still the same.

ARD-DC wrote:

Then, next on my question list would be:

Can you tell, at normal sim rate, how long a "FS9 second / minute" actually lasts, and is this consistant or does it vary?

What FPS do you get?
What are your full system specs?
How much free space on your harddisk(s)?
Does it make any difference in FS performance if you disable your LAN connection?

At normal sim rate, a second seems to be a real second. The dashboard clock counts seconds in real time. But in replay mode, 1 replay second lasts about 3 real seconds.

FPS is between 30-50.

I fly on a P4, 2.6GHz machine with 1.5GB RAM and 2 dual-head ATI video cards. First video card is 256MB and runs 2 displays. The other video card is 64MB and runs 1 display (FS9 does not use this display).

As far as hard disk space, the program and all add-ons are installed on my 250GB D drive, where there is 192GB free. There is 19.2GB free on my C drive (80GB HDD).

I have never disabled my LAN connection to see if it's any faster, but when it worked consistently before, the LAN was fully connected.

Anything else?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

3 monitors on 2 cards suck up the cards ability to render and all of that takes a good 700w p/s.
Try unhooking 2 monitors, rebooting and running the sim.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

RadarMan,

The lone monitor on the 64MB card is not used by FS9.

I have flown successfully with 2 monitors on 1 card for over a year...until now. I had the same problem about 6 months ago...this was before I ever purchased & installed the 2nd video card.

HR

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

HowardsRock wrote:

RadarMan,

The lone monitor on the 64MB card is not used by FS9.

I have flown successfully with 2 monitors on 1 card for over a year...until now. I had the same problem about 6 months ago...this was before I ever purchased & installed the 2nd video card.

HR

Fine, I just thought I'd mention it.

Radar

Air-Head Guest

A re-install of the whole lot, if you reallly need a last resort? Often cures most ills. 😉

Not very good advice i know. Sorry. lol.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

I was under the impression that in flight, the sim was progressing at something like 0.5 the rate, where it was set to normal speed, but after your last post, it seems like the sim speed is not the issue, but rather the acceleration rate of your aircraft..?

Just did a little test: At KSEA, RWY 34R, no wind - no cloud conditions, press. 2992, MTOW (2550 lbs) OAT 59ºF, it takes me 18.50 seconds to go from full stop - engine idle, to 60 kts. It takes just under 1000 ft.

Re. RM's posts,
I also use multiple monitors, and it works fine, as long as all windows are on their own monitor. If one window (could be the FS9 window, could be the throttle quadrant, doesn't matter what) is displayed on both monitors, i.e. when I drag a window to the middle, everything nearly grinds to a halt and my FPS drops to 1-5.
I'd say it'd be worth a shot if you haven't tried it, just unplug the monitors and disable multiple monitor support in windows...

As a matter of fact, I personally would open up the case and pull out that second GFX card, and see how it goes then, on one monitor.

Pro Member First Officer

This is not an issue of framerates. I'm getting between 35-50 FPS at any given time.

I think I've figured it out (I've said that before and been proven wrong, so I say it cautiously this time). I disabled the 64MB video card in Device Manager for my FS9 profile, and everything started working again.

So cross your fingers. Thanks for all the time and suggestions guys. I really appreciate it.

HR

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Sounds like you're on the right way then there!

Sorry for not being clearer; I did understand you got good fps; I didn't suspect your graphics card performance being the issue, but rather either cpu, memory or mobo not being able with all the processed data all your cards spit out. Hence the 'remove second card' suggestion.. 🙂

Anyway - encouraging...keep us updated if anything changes; I'd be interested to hear 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...