SearchSearch 

aircraft downloads

Pro Member Trainee
duke3d Trainee

i downloaded the f14 and i cant get it to work i also downloaded the tornado and the same thing has happened
can any one help me out with this or does any one know where i can get these aircraft

meany thanks
daniel

19 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Which part is it that you can't get to work?

Pro Member Trainee
duke3d Trainee

i downloaded the f14 tomcat and i cant get to as fs04 all i had to do is to copy the aircraft file i tryed it with fsx but i cant find the aircraft i was just wondering if any one had addvise about it or if any one else has had any prolems and how i can get new aircraft to work

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

If you can't find the aircraft, open the aircraft.cfg with notepad and look for the line ui_manufacturer="Boeing" -if it says Boeing like in this case, the aircraft will show up under Boeing in the aircraft menu.

Please make your sentences shorter, I don't use texting.

Pro Member First Officer
Orion (ollyau) First Officer

This is pretty much is what is happening to me except with a Project Open Sky Boeing 737-800. I also have checked the aircraft.cfg file. Anyone have any ideas?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

ollyau wrote:

This is pretty much is what is happening to me except with a Project Open Sky Boeing 737-800. I also have checked the aircraft.cfg file. Anyone have any ideas?

Follow this for FSX and you should see the aircraft.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/knowledge/page/34/installing-addon-flight-simulator-downloads/

It may be listed under the manufacturers name or POSKY's name.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
shylock (scottyboy39) Trainee

im having the same problem and tried what the link said and still couldnt get it to work.when i go into the sim objects,aircraft folder the p-51 and f/14 are there but when i go to fsx they r not in the aircraft menu.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

scottyboy39 wrote:

im having the same problem and tried what the link said and still couldnt get it to work.when i go into the sim objects,aircraft folder the p-51 and f/14 are there but when i go to fsx they r not in the aircraft menu.

The link won't tell you under which name the aircraft will show up in the menu.

Open the aircraft.cfg and look for this line: "ui_manufacturer=" whatever follows after the <=> will determine where to look for the aircraft.

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

In Flight Simulator X it shows all the pictures etc so it would be pretty hard to skip over your downloaded aircrafts unless you were just really in a hurry.

axe Guest

hey!!
sometimes you may have placed the airplanes folder into your main aircraft folder in fs with a folder inside a folder,(a subfolder).
it wont read thru the two folders, make sure you place just the one that has panel ,sound, model, ect.inside it into the main aircraft folder in fsx' its now in objects, the aircraft folder that is.

2nd; it is in the aircraft cfg. under [flightsim.x];
called-->sim=xxxxxxx,
xxxxx= should be exactly the same as the ".air" file!!!!
for example a opensky 767 alitalia for fs2004 & 2002
sim=767300ER-GE

don't type in ".air"
type is critical, capitals , periods ect..
post back and let us know how you have made out, ok
happy flying --AXE

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

good call. this is why i like doing a manual install. i have had a few downloaders do that to me. and i have seen some packaged in a way that if you unzip to folder it does that too.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

bawls327 wrote:

In Flight Simulator X it shows all the pictures etc so it would be pretty hard to skip over your downloaded aircrafts unless you were just really in a hurry.

That is if you don't have more than 20 a/c installed and they're all of a different make.
If we get to the stage where we'll have as many add-ons as in fs9, scrolling through and looking at the pictures will become increasingly cumbersome. This is why in FSX too we have an "Aircraft manufacturer" scroll down bar. What shows up under 'Aircraft manufacturer' is exactly what I've been saying: The UI_manufacturer in the .cfg file.

So as an example:

If you installed a Posky Boeing 744 you would expect it to show up under Boeing, right? Well, sometimes it does... if the "ui_manufacturer=Boeing".
Too often however the "ui_manufacturer=Posky" or Project Opensky or the name of the repainter or some other nonsense. In cases like these the Boeing 747 will NOT show up under Boeing. As you amass more and more a/c, you won't know where to find a particular one no matter how many pictures you look at. If instead you do a bit of housekeeping and have (just for starters) ALL Boeings as ui_manufacturer=Boeing - live starts making sense again.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

axe wrote:

hey!!
sometimes you may have placed the airplanes folder into your main aircraft folder in fs with a folder inside a folder,(a subfolder).
it wont read thru the two folders, make sure you place just the one that has panel ,sound, model, ect.inside it into the main aircraft folder in fsx' its now in objects, the aircraft folder that is.

2nd; it is in the aircraft cfg. under [flightsim.x];
called-->sim=xxxxxxx,
xxxxx= should be exactly the same as the ".air" file!!!!
for example a opensky 767 alitalia for fs2004 & 2002
sim=767300ER-GE

don't type in ".air"
type is critical, capitals , periods ect..
post back and let us know how you have made out, ok
happy flying --AXE

Very sound advice axe.... but doesn't our fail safe https://flyawaysimulation.com/knowledge/page/34/installing-addon-flight-simulator-downloads/ include all of this vital information?

axe Guest

😀 HEY!!!!!,
My apologies I certainly didnot intend to intrude on your turf!
Tailhook you certainly hit the nail on the head when you said it will be the same as ui_manufacturer=; with over 100 aircraft installed it is very easy to overlook the aircraft when the ui_manufacturer=;is sga, posky, ffx or what ever. A simple check of the aircraft cfg. would verify how it would show up in your list in create a flight. thats if it was installed correctly in the first place?
I was merley trying to help with a simple suggestion of two problems i had encountered in the past; sim=; and some self installers and unzipping into your main FS folder sometimes does create two folders inside one another. It also dumps all the read me and screen shots (jpg's) into FS and who wants all that clutter even the computer doesnot at times.
plz. don't get upset with me when i am going to have to diagree with you on the link that you posted?! first, there is no trouble shooting in that text (tho a good one it is) maybe you already have one but, a simple checklist for this kind of problems could be drawn up, like for example, check for this or look for that ect..
second; I wouldnot recommend to just simply copy the B737 sound folder into the aircraft you are installing,it is the complete sound folder and also the default sound for the other turbined engines. this would merly just create dozens upon dozens of the same sound folder and use up megabytes to gigabytes of space for no explanation!?
It would be much simpler to copy the default B777, or 747 one into your aircraft as you would alias the sound, for it is already aliased. much the same as if you were to alias the panel. SINCERY:<<AXE>> 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Hey axe,

Methinks you misinterpreted my post completely. I totally agree with what you said in both posts, my reference to our 'fail-safe' tutorial was meant to awaken the complacent know-alls from their slumber.
In certain circles this kind of sarcasm (which, contrary to common believe is NOT necessarily a dirty word) can actually trigger thought and conversation and consequently lead to solving problems.

What can I say... let's keep doing it our way which I blatantly claim IS THE BEST WAY and sit back and continue watch the blind leading the blind.
😀

axe Guest

HEY 😀
Sure thing dude, read you loud and clear!
as a after thought if lets say ui_manufacture=Boeing
and ui_type=(nothing)
in your select a aircraft , under manufacture it would be Boeing?!
BUT, under "aircraft model" it wouldnot show up there as say a 757
because there is nothing for ui_type?
keep up the good work, CHEERS<<AXE>> 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

axe wrote:

HEY 😀
Sure thing dude, read you loud and clear!
as a after thought if lets say ui_manufacture=Boeing
and ui_type=(nothing)
in your select a aircraft , under manufacture it would be Boeing?!
BUT, under "aircraft model" it wouldnot show up there as say a 757
because there is nothing for ui_type?
keep up the good work, CHEERS<<AXE>> 😉

Not sure if I understand your question - if indeed it is a question. Just been told that a question isn't always a question in another thread... make sense?

I'll give it a shot anyway.

If you have ui_type=(nothing), the a/c won't show up at all. In the case of a 757 you would obviously have ui_manufacturer=Boeing AND ui_type=757-x00. (Depending on whether it's a -200 or -300.)

I'll give an example of the 737-700 Kittyhawk as I also have 737-700 Poskys. As you will see, in this example there's also an individual entry for the winglet model and for the no winglet model respectively. As you have already dealt with other important issues in the .cfg I'll leave those out:

[fltsim.0]
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
ui_manufacturer=Boeing
ui_type=737-700 Kittyhawk
ui_variation=EL AL Israel Airlines

[fltsim.1]
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
ui_manufacturer=Boeing
ui_variation=EL AL Israel Airlines/winglets

[fltsim.2]
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
ui_manufacturer=Boeing
ui_variation=WestJet 007

[fltsim.3]
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
ui_manufacturer=Boeing
ui_variation=WestJet 007/Winglets etc. etc.

For the benefit of those who wonder about the winglets... even if you have everything right in the .cfg as above, they'll only show up if you have a second (the winglet) model in that aircraft folder.

So what if one sweet day you want to edit something in one of your Boeings for example and since you've got close to a hundred you haven't got a clue just where to find this one in your main aircraft directory?
Good old housekeeping.
An essential part of installing freeware aircraft is to rename the aircraft folder according to your personal preference.

It pays off in the end if you're particular. In this example I'll confine myself to the Boeings again because of the many ui-manufacturers, models and engine types.

Since MS named their Boeings

b737_400 etc. I saw no reason to change this because it's short and sweet. So ALL my Boeings will start with "b"xxx.
b707_xxx
b717_xxx
b727_xxx etc.

Let's skip the 737s of which I have 12 variants alone (variants is NOT synonymous with textures) and go on to the 747s.

b747_200F-GE-Posky
b747_200F-PW-Posky

b747_200SGA GE Cargo
b747_200SGA PW Cargo etc. etc.

F is freight/cargo.
GE is Genereal Electric.
PW is Pratt&Whitney
Posky are the developers.
SGA are the developers.

Of the 747s I have 13 variants. Being an MD-11 and DC-10 fan I won't burden you with the gory details. This is not to say that my hangar is bare of any imaginable type of Airbus, L-1011, Russian/Soviet airliners most haven't even heard of and others I haven't even heard of 😳

As I'm developing an increasingly soft spot for all types of military aircraft, I'll have to devise a new system to accommodate those unless of course someone else does it for us 😀

axe Guest

If you have ui_type=(nothing), the a/c won't show up at all. In the case of a 757 you would obviously have ui_manufacturer=Boeing AND ui_type=757-x00. (Depending on whether it's a -200 or -300.)

Exactly, thanks for clairifing the point, so we know that
ui_manufacturer=(shows up under manufacturer(model) in the choice a aircraft screen)
ui_type=(under type in choice a aircraft)
ui_variation=(should show under variation in choice a plane screen)
I am not understanding what you were trying to get at after you agreed that it won't show up under ui_type=xxx?!
but you did some clues like a 757GE (general electric)or winglet model
(if you have more that one FOLDER for model, a GE or PW engined ones)
would be classified under model=757GE or model=757PW(pratt and whitney) or model=winglet; depending how the proper model FOLDER for the two different aircraft is named.
But still it brings in question about sim=xxxx
does it read the same as .AIR file?
is model files in your model FOLDER properly named in turn?
is the notepads [models] cfg. in the models FOLDER configured correct?

but if it doesnot still show on select aircraft type after checking all this and that it appears right !
then the .AIR file itself is the obvius culprit!!!!!
there are a many scenerios why it could be corrupted.
1. it was never configured right to begin with
2. was configured for a forgein issue of flightsim(russian, ect)
3.was packed to tightly in winzip(compessing texure files to tight will ruin them)
4 a few other reasons(who knows!?)
(you could right click the airfile and open it with notepad or wordpad and most likely on the first line will be "SIM1" type take off the one and type 0(zero)sim0 go to file then save close it, then reopen it again and take the zero out and put back in one, sim1 ; save close it and it should show up at choice a aircraft, NOW choise "fly now", see how nicely flightsimulator crashes back to your desk top or send a error report ?? CORRUPTED AIRFILE!!!!!OK)
what ever the reason you gonna have to make a new .AIR file for the plane in question. this will take time and a few good SDK(software development kits). instead of that long drawn out procces there are a few quick fixes(maybe?!)
1.contact the author of the aircraft and maybe they may have a updated .AIR file that will work for your version of flightsim.
2a. if you know who built the plane, you could take a time consuming effort to download anther paint of this model try it and it may work.
2b. if it does and the texures are the same you could transferr the textures over to the craft that is ok. and edit the aircraft.cfg. as you would in adding textures in your tutorial.
2c. You could also just simply copy the .AIR file over to the plane that wont work and rename it the same as your sim=xxx or how your original .AIR file was named. [you will have to make a folder inside that planes folder (or someweres else) and name it original to rename the new airfile] and simply drag drop into "original"(to get the corrupted airfile out of the way)
3.YOU may possibly take a known type craft that is similar(a hit or miss fix) maybe another model from a different author, but the same, and copy into the bad planes folder and rename it to how the original one was.
sometimes the airfile wont work correctly with say autopilot or a few gauges, then you will have to try another plane.

Another fix, when 2004 aircraft could be seen in 2002 but the throttle wouldnot work and a few gauges was to find a similar craft that did work in your sim, and COPY the .AIR file into that one and rename the original file .bak and rename the copied file as the original name
so you would end up with two air files
say a 757GE one would be named 757GE.AIR the other would now be named 757GE.bak
you will find that all your gauges and throttle work now!
Well best of luck dude, CHEERS<<AXE>>

Pro Member First Officer
bawns First Officer

i have made sure of all my a/c has the "ui_manufacture=boeing" and that did not work for me

jerrylewis Guest

👏 well maybe you should put in under
[general]
atc_type=fokker
atc_model=f28
editable=1 ROFL