Will these PC Specs run FSX efficiently?

maxhess Guest

Hi!

I have already posted a simular topic, but I am now including all of my PC specs. I am currently running FSX at custom "medium low" settings, so that basic functions work good but scenery and landforms are still very weak. I have an approximate budget of € 80,00 or $108.97. I know that is not a lot but I would like to make the best out of it.

Current Specs:

DELL Dimension E521, 11/2006
Windows XP-MCE
Athlon 64 3500+ (2.20GHz, 512K)
1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
256MB nVidia GeForce 7300LE TurboCache
160GB SATA II HD (7200RPM)

What else can I buy to make my FSX work better?

Thanks alot!
MH

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I'll assume that you don't want to upgrade your processor and motherboard because of the price tag. That leaves video card and RAM. For your budget, you may be able to get 1GB of RAM to bring you up to 2GB. It will help but don't know how much. A new video card would also help but would exceed your budget(est. $300).

maxhess Guest

Hey-

Thanks alot. I am thinking of buying things from eBay, so I will take a look around and post any links that I find intersting here. I would love for you to give your opinion on those items too- i just dont want to make a wrong buy.

Thanks
MH

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Sounds good. I just hope others with more knowledge chime in because I don't want to give you the impression that I'm an expert, I'm not. This is just my opinion. Ebay is fine but you must be absolutely sure that the component will fit/work with your computer set up. I'll be gone for a few days but will check back here for your posts.

Pro Member Trainee
Remy (Remyx) Trainee

Hey,

I read the thread and wanted to add my 2 cents.

I'll start with some question, what screen resolution do you typically run the sim at? This may help determine what the best option for you.

Based on the specs you posted, the following comes to mind:
- your processor is not too fast
- memory could help a bit, however I didn't notice any performance improvements when going from 1GB to 2GB. Mainly because my setup was limited by CPU and video card.
- your current card is a low end chip. I think I would first upgrde the video card. However there is little to no benefit getting a card in the $100 range. The difference if performance, if any, will be minimal. If you can find a little more cash, $160 to $200 would allow you to get a decent card, something like ATI X1950 (just an example, there are many others in this price range).

Memory can always be added later on, and is typically the cheapest thing to upgrade. You can find 1GB (2 modules of 512MB) for around $50. Count about $100 for 2 modules of 1GB.

Now keep in mind that, if your CPU is the limiting factor in your setup, spending money on more memory or faster video card will do little to improve performance.

Based on your specs, I do not know if you can easily replace the cpu. You'd have to research this a little further (like any limitation in the bios or similar things).
If it can be replaced, you can get a dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz for about $120. This might be something to consider.

However a faster CPU will highlight the very limited performance your video card is capable of.

Between CPU and video card, not sure which one I'll upgrade first. Most likely you need to do both.

Sorry I can't help you much more
R.

maxhess Guest

hi-

thx for your help. i am sure that I will be able to spin my budget up a little, maybe to about $200. I will need to work a little more then, considering the fact that I am 15 years old. Wink Considerably, though, I will start looking for video cards and the CPU. I do not know how and or where to research for CPU limitations though. I am not a real PC expert and do not know if it is easy to install / build in these kind of things.

Thanks alot!
MH

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

Get a 8800gtx

Pro Member Trainee
Remy (Remyx) Trainee

Max,

I can't open the links you posted, the efolio proxy didn't work for me.
Anyway, the video card should be great. Just confirm it is a PCIe model and not AGP. It should be but double check before buying.

As for the CPU, you may want to get the technical documentation off Dell web site and see what CPU your system will support.

Finally, I do not agree with the last post. Do not get a 8800gtx. You do not have the CPU power to put this king of card to good use in my opinion.

Good luck,
Remy

bawls327 wrote:

Get a 8800gtx

get 2 of them and bridge them together

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

bawls327 wrote:

Get a 8800gtx

get 2 of them and bridge them together

So you're saying that the DELL Dimension E521 comes with a SLI mobo?

Enlighten us. 😳

Pro Member Trainee
Remy (Remyx) Trainee

Good catch on the SLI mobo. I didn't even bother replying Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Remyx wrote:

Good catch on the SLI mobo. I didn't even bother replying Smile

He's just being a pest, it's not the first time he's done this and he'll do it again.

The bliss of anonymous posts Surrender

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

maxhess,
I would get your RAM up to at least 2GB first. Then I would look at video cards, you have to be careful to get one that is compatible with your motherboard. The last thing would be a processor/motherboard replacement. It can be costly and sometimes it will make more sense to just get a new computer instead. Your motherboard may accept an upgraded processor but often, you have to replace the motherboard also. You may also have to buy new RAM with a new motherboard. Consult a professional before doing a processor/motherboard upgrade.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...