Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

FRAME RATES LOW EVEN ON MINIMAL

Pro Member Trainee
Charlie1978 Trainee

I just bought a brand new computer for this game! Its a AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4600+, with 2 GB RAM, and a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE graphics card with 394mb available memory...

I set EVERYTHING all the way to minimum and I was only getting 4.9 fps, I go upwards of 7.1 fps from the cockpit view. And thats with everything set on MINIMAL!!!!!!!

So for fun I set everything to max and I was lucky to get 2.0 fps...

I played with some different settings inbetween and was getting roughly 3-4 fps.. What the heck is going on?? How can I get this thing up to 20+ fps?? I figured my computer could handle this game!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Try downloading the newest drivers for it.
Clean out the old ones and install the new.
Then go into the cards control panel and set it for maximum performance for your machine.

I believe that's an integrated card (built into the mother board?) if I'm correct your not going to see top quality out of it.

NVIDIA, set the AA to 4X no more and the AA to 16X.
I use ATi so wait for someone who uses NVIDIA to help with those settings but I think I'm right (and it can't hurt anything).

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Charlie1978 wrote:

I just bought a brand new computer for this game! Its a AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4600+, with 2 GB RAM, and a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE graphics card with 394mb available memory...

As Radarman suspects, you've got onboard graphics, instead of a graphics card you have a chip on the motherboard. This won't do for FSX no matter how you change the settings.

You're not revealing whether this is a brand computer, a laptop or whether you got it built for FSX. If the latter is the case, you've been cheated but you have the option of adding a proper GFX card.
If it's a laptop, you could have a problem.

Pro Member Trainee
Charlie1978 Trainee

It is not a laptop, nor did I have it built especially for FSX. I did not take into consideration when buying the PC that the graphics card weighed as heavily as it does. I figured getting a PC with a fast processor and a decent amount of RAM would lead me into the right direction. Buying a new graphics card is no big deal, that is of course if it is not possible because it is built into the motherboard...?

Regardless, its still 10 times better than the Celeron piece of crap I had been running for the last 4 years.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Depending on the brand and the motherboard they installed you might have a slot for a PCIe card, but I doubt it.

Check out these Wiki pages and what the slots look like.

http://www.flightsimulationforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1054

If you still can call the company that built your machine ask them if you can install a card, if so you can disable the on-board one.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Charlie1978 wrote:

Buying a new graphics card is no big deal, that is of course if it is not possible because it is built into the motherboard...?

That's the information I was unable to find. If your motherboard has a slot to accommodate a proper GFX card, you're in business.
When a GFX card is added, the onboard chip has to be disabled (in the settings) and everything is fine.

I'm assuming that yours is a brand computer then. Not so long ago, it was impossible to add a GFX card to the proprietary motherboards those PCs use. This situation seems to have changed for the better somewhat. You'll have to have a good look at your motherboard to see if it allows you to install a proper GFX card.

Pro Member Trainee
Charlie1978 Trainee

Is there anyway to tell without cracking open the computer whether or not it can handle an additional one or is opening it the only way?

Do we all get the sad feeling that Im just kinda screwed here???

Its an HP. I was unable to find anything regarding upgrading the vid card which makes me think Im stuck with what Ive got.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Charlie1978 wrote:

Is there anyway to tell without cracking open the computer whether or not it can handle an additional one or is opening it the only way?

Do we all get the sad feeling that Im just kinda screwed here???

Its an HP. I was unable to find anything regarding upgrading the vid card which makes me think Im stuck with what Ive got.

Get EVEREST Free Edition 2.20 from here Arrow http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Additionally get a free copy of the Belarc advisor and run it. Arrow http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

I use both as I find in some instances one finds what the other one misses.

Hopefully with the aid of those two you'll be able to determine the name of the mobo. Armed with that knowledge, we should be able to find the pertinent info - maybe even with a picture.
Smile

READ THE NVIDIA INSTRUCTION MANUAL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

READ THE NVIDIA INSTRUCTION MANUAL

What exactly is the relevance of your intelligent comment to the topic being discussed?

You can either contribute or you can be a pest. Your choice is obvious. Wacko Wacko

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

If you just bought the computer, then it is highly likely that you will have PCI-E, PCI or AGP slots for it. You might also have extra slots for RAM too. The problem you will run into is your power supply is you decide to add a videocard. My recommendation is that you call HP and find out if they can ramp your videocard up to at least the Nvidia 7900 series card. If you want the best card for the computer and FSX then try to get the 8800 series card; I am sure they will try to help you out. HP and Dell are at least trying to keep up with us builders and other high performance computer makers like Alienware and Falcon Northwest....but most people look for affordability so they gear their products to suit the demand.