Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

graphics card

Pro Member Trainee
Rae.Johns (loner001) Trainee

i've recently been bought the fsx and have installed it it works perfectly on minimum settings iknow i need a a better graphics card i've got a nvidia 6200ls could anyone tell me what would be a ideal card to get and approx what price they are thanks

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

If you can afford it then get a 8800gtx

That will support DX10 when FSX is upgraded to take advantage of it

I have one now and it gets pretty decent framerates using DX9

Pro Member Trainee
Remy (Remyx) Trainee

Hey,

if you can provide more info about your config (CPU, RAM, monitor) and what resolution you expect to play at, we can mke a better recommendation.

Pro Member Trainee

hi my computer is a packard bell intel pentium 4cpu306ghz 512 mb ram i know i need a new graphics card and proberly more memmory or ram as you can proberly tell i dont know much about computers.

Pro Member Trainee
BunnyMcguire Trainee

To get better performance, you need to get about 1g more ram and you should probabaly get a graphics care with with 512mb of onboard memory. This is if you really want a gooood computer. If you don't want to buy that much just get a total of 1g of ram and 256mb of onboard graphics card memory.

Pro Member Trainee
Craig (Sno0ze) Trainee

GoodisonBlue wrote:

Not necessarily, if he or anyone else wants DirectX 10 you'll have to use Windows Vista. Remember it says that the card "supports" DirectX 10, but it doesn't give you DirectX 10, only Vista will. And as far as I know there are no plans to add DirectX 10 to XP, XP pro etc.

by the time FSX is upgraded to DX10, there will be better and cheaper DX10 graphics cards available.

What is the rush to get a DX10 graphics card?

Pro Member First Officer

Sno0ze wrote:

GoodisonBlue wrote:

Not necessarily, if he or anyone else wants DirectX 10 you'll have to use Windows Vista. Remember it says that the card "supports" DirectX 10, but it doesn't give you DirectX 10, only Vista will. And as far as I know there are no plans to add DirectX 10 to XP, XP pro etc.

Fair point, i should have added that

Pro Member First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

by the time FSX is upgraded to DX10, there will be better and cheaper DX10 graphics cards available.

Well the 8800 gtx offered a far better fps than my previous card which was supposedly one of the best dx9 cards - gx 7950

so that's why I upgraded

Pro Member Trainee

Thanks for all the support and help guys i'll take all your suggestions on board and see what i can do thanks again

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

GoodisonBlue wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

Well the 8800 gtx offered a far better fps than my previous card which was supposedly one of the best dx9 cards - gx 7950

so that's why I upgraded

I wasn't going to say nothing....but you are half right. Cool

The entire NVidia 8 Series are DirectX 10 ready, from the 8500 up to the 8800 Ultra. So if you are on a budget and just want to skim the surface of FSX then get the 8500GT. If you want to run with the big dogs, then get the 8800 GTX/GTS. If you want to lead the pack, then get the 8800 Ultra and put a huge dent into your wallet. Very Happy Mwave.com price the 8800 Ultra at 829.90..... good luck! Cool

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Confused I don't get it:

The stairs in Half Life 2 are in different angles, anyone knows the light and shadows changes when an object is taken in different positions....and if I was going to choose a videocard just by looking at the numbers, I still get the NVidia cards. Although the Radeon cards do post big numbers in the core clock and the memory bandwidth, the NVidia cards excel in everything else, with means you get a better resoultion and picture quality, but sacrifice itself in performance with NVidia. Radeon cards are faster, but the resolution and quality will look like trash.

the positions are exactly the same.

you see differently because of optical illusion.

p.s. faster clock speed or bandwidth does not always translate to faster performance.