SearchSearch 

same old Q: frame rate and video card

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

I use Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB. I have 1.5 GB RAM and 3.0 GHz Intel CPU. Lately it gets down to 6 frames per second when I fly with certain aircraft and over certain places. When this happened I checked the CPU usage and found it was only used 60%. So that means the Radeon 9800 is over loaded while the CPU is not being fully used to its capacity. Is there anyway to let the CPU help the video card to take some workload off the card? any software that would do this? thanks a lot

9 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

No.

I had that card and it's a very good card but if you want better FPS you'll have to get a better AGP card.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

any recommendation on "the better card"?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

not too expensive, all under $200. When I bought 9800 2 yrs ago, it cost me 250 bucks 😞

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

I've got the ATI X1650 Pro, 512mb version, I was having the same prob. as you and decided on a new card.

If I had to choose again, I'd definately go with an nVidia card.
The X1650 is definately not meeting my expectations.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

We might as well get rid of the 'Hardware Forum' section for the sake of less clutter. Idea

Pro Member Trainee
Pulp1 Trainee

I had similar problems I run an Nvidia 7600 GS and was getting down to 6 frames a second.

I found it was all to due with the cloud settings, change cloud density to low.

It has very little effect on the look of the clouds but it had me back up to 25 fps.

Hope this helps.

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

I use Active Sky. I think ASV6 renders its own clouds which I believe are much better than FS9. Does adjusting cloud setting in FS9 make any difference?

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

We might as well get rid of the 'Hardware Forum' section for the sake of less clutter. Idea

Lol.....right you are...

Unfortunately, Pulp, there is nothing I can change in FS menus that works. But then again, I shouldn't have to.

Thanks anyway though.