SearchSearch 

ils landing, is 1800 too low at 12-13nm out?

andymil Guest

hi all

when using the autopilot to land, at approx 12-13nm out when hitting the nav and app switches, can anyone confirm what altitude i should ideally be at?

I was going for 1,800 ft but is that too low? I have seen posts here suggesting at this distance out i should be at 2,800nm?

thanks

andy

2 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

andymil wrote:

hi all
when using the autopilot to land, at approx 12-13nm out when hitting the nav and app switches, can anyone confirm what altitude i should ideally be at? I was going for 1,800 ft but is that too low? I have seen posts here suggesting at this distance out i should be at 2,800nm?
thanks andy

Let's get our altitude definitions straight. 1800 feet above the airport elevation(AGL) is not too low, as long as there are no obstructions along the approach path. 1500-3000 feet AGL would be a normal altitude to begin an ILS based on terrain and how they designed the approach. The altitude is different for each ILS.

Pro Member Trainee
bb42 Trainee

yeh basically, what CRJCapt wrote is right, if there is nothing in the way, building, watertower, etc. im at about 1800ft when im 6nm away from the rnwy, every mile, decend 200-400 ft depending on how fast im going