Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

FSX Won't work!

Pro Member Trainee
Mike Dennison (MikeD) Trainee

Hi
I've just installed FSx on my computer that is running vista Home Premium and all I get is a flashing screen, I have tried adjusting settings but to an avail? can anybody point me in the right direction Crying or Very sad

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

graphics card make ?

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Did the wizard say the installation was sucessfull?

Pro Member Trainee

Hi the graphics card is a Nvidia 7800GTX, and it did install OK and it reported so?
Just thought are there any updates or patches I should need to install?
aslo the program runs fint and I can choose aircraft settings and airport ok is all goes pearshaped when I try to fly!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

MikeD wrote:

Hi the graphics card is a Nvidia 7800GTX, and it did install OK and it reported so?
Just thought are there any updates or patches I should need to install?
aslo the program runs fint and I can choose aircraft settings and airport ok is all goes pearshaped when I try to fly!

Post a screenshot and your full system specs.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 processor 3500+ 2.21 GHz
Memory: 2046MB
Graphics: Nvidia 7800GTX
System: Vista Home Premium
I cannot do a screen shot at it flashes on and off and it's almost impossable to catch anything other that a black screen!!! Crying or Very sad

I've just re-installed the program again and notice that it has NOT placed any link in the start menu, not too sure if this was the case the first time as well as I ran it from the option at the end of the install process! Im I to take it that FSx will NOT work with VISTA as it used to work with XP fine! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

I found the problem......your running Windows Vista. 😂 😂

j/k of course.....Can you running 64-bit Vista or 32-bit Vista???? This is a weird one. Can you run other programs and game's without any problem? Have you tried the 'repair' option that FSX DVD 1 has???

And 'No' FSX was designed for Vista and DX10.

Pro Member Trainee

Hi it's the 32 bit version, not tried the repair program yet buy i will give it a go in a few minutes, other things run fine? think my best bet would be to return to XP or do you think it's crackable?

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

MikeD wrote:

Hi it's the 32 bit version, not tried the repair program yet buy i will give it a go in a few minutes, other things run fine? think my best bet would be to return to XP or do you think it's crackable?

It's crackable. Don't go to extreme measure's reinstalling the OS. You have Vista keep it. If all else fails there is Microsoft support.

Pro Member Trainee

j/k of course.....Can you running 64-bit Vista or 32-bit Vista???? This is a weird one. Can you run other programs and game's without any problem? Have you tried the 'repair' option that FSX DVD 1 has???

Where do i find this and what is it called?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

MikeD wrote:

Where do i find this and what is it called?

Drop disk #1 in the caddy and the screen will ask if you want to repair or uninstall.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

HI
OK I've tried to repair, i've re-installes and i've updated to SP1 all to no avail, but I think I may have found a reason! I think it's my monitor!!! I have a 20.1" wide screen HP lcd and I have just noticed that FSX running in Vitsa will not show it's 1680X1050 resolution yet I could get this when running on XP. now I am wondering if there is a way to force FSX to be able to use this native resoultion or am i missing something here? 😳

Pro Member First Officer
anonymouse91 First Officer

Try looking in the settings and try to change the resolution. You could always try running FSX in window mode. Also, the reason why FSX doesn't show in the start menu on Vista is that Vista has its own Games menu which you can access FSX through (Start Menu -> Games -> FSX)

Pro Member Trainee

OK Were getting there, It runs on window mode ok? but as soon as you switch to full screen it starts to flash? very odd the only thing I can think is that the graphic card is not up to it Crying or Very sad

Thanks to anonymouse91 for the window idea and to every one else for all your help, any other ideas i would be very happy if you put them here.
Thanks again for your help 😂