SearchSearch 

Some newb questions from a new FS addict

Newb Guest

Hi everyone -

First off, I love these forums! Plan on joining, but don't have my credit card here at work...

Anyway, I'm just getting started with FSX - having a blast learning how to fly and stuff. I've been browsing the forums and am a bit overwhelmed by all the add-ons, additional planes, utilities, etc...

So, here are my questions:

1) Are there any "must-have" add-ons or utilities for FSX? I want to start small until I learn the game and get a better idea of what I should be downloading - just want to know if there is any stuff out there that the entire community pretty much runs...

2) I see lots of gorgeous screenshots out there, and some people talk about the scenery downloads they use. Aside from downloading specific scenery for locales, are there any downloads out there that come highly recommended for improving the stock scenery? I was playing with the default settings (all sliders fairly low) and was disappointed in the scenery, especially NYC - looked like a couple apartment buildings surrounded by fields. So, I maxed out all sliders (I have a pretty good machine) but have not had a chance to see if it improved things. Is this an issue I should be able to solve with settings, or will I have to download high-res or detailed scenery or something?

3) Anyone have any good links or references for a noob guide to airport operations and flight rules? I don't want to get TOO technical yet, just want to be able to fly around and communicate properly with ATC and all. A manual or checklist based on the FSX world would work better for me than a real-world flight ops manual...that will come in time, but for now I want an intro level doc if possible.

Thanks to all, and I will see you as a member soon!

4 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Newb wrote:

Hi everyone -

First off, I love these forums! Plan on joining, but don't have my credit card here at work...

Anyway, I'm just getting started with FSX - having a blast learning how to fly and stuff. I've been browsing the forums and am a bit overwhelmed by all the add-ons, additional planes, utilities, etc...

So, here are my questions:

1) Are there any "must-have" add-ons or utilities for FSX? I want to start small until I learn the game and get a better idea of what I should be downloading - just want to know if there is any stuff out there that the entire community pretty much runs...

2) I see lots of gorgeous screenshots out there, and some people talk about the scenery downloads they use. Aside from downloading specific scenery for locales, are there any downloads out there that come highly recommended for improving the stock scenery? I was playing with the default settings (all sliders fairly low) and was disappointed in the scenery, especially NYC - looked like a couple apartment buildings surrounded by fields. So, I maxed out all sliders (I have a pretty good machine) but have not had a chance to see if it improved things. Is this an issue I should be able to solve with settings, or will I have to download high-res or detailed scenery or something?

3) Anyone have any good links or references for a noob guide to airport operations and flight rules? I don't want to get TOO technical yet, just want to be able to fly around and communicate properly with ATC and all. A manual or checklist based on the FSX world would work better for me than a real-world flight ops manual...that will come in time, but for now I want an intro level doc if possible.

Thanks to all, and I will see you as a member soon!

There aren't too many worthwhile downloads yet, FSX is still fairly new.
Some excellent aircraft but it depend if you like airliners or GA.

As for scenery that's being developed, 2004 won't work well in FSX and your system is underpowered that's why the screenshots look good (coming from high end systems) and your's doesn't.

Help, take some of the lessons or better yet, fly the missions, the first few show you how to...

Radar

Newb Guest

Radarman -

Thanks for the fast reply - but don't think my machine performance is the issue. I put all sliders to max, was able to quickly test flight (frame rate was fine, no lagging/skipping at all), but I was flying a the schipol-->heathrow mission so I couldn't see the ground because of the rain!!

I'm hoping maxing the sliders fixed my scenery problems, but I won't know until I get home today to test with fair weather - it was already an hour past bedtime when I finally glanced at the clock last night, after 4 hours of installing and messing around with FSX! Almost missed my meeting this morning!

Anyway, I'll test tonight and let you know how the graphics look...

Newb Guest

Forgot to say - don't think my PC performance is the issue because I have a very new XPS M1710 laptop with all features maxed out...I used to work in tech so I'm very familiar with machine configs, and my current setup hasn't given me a lick of trouble with some pretty heavy 3D apps and games... I've also heard many people running this laptop with FSX and having no problems...

However, I've been wrong before. the test tonight will show for sure, I guess my question should've been:

Would having my sliders on low (like autogen and such) result in the crappy NYC gfx I saw?

Anyway, I will repost when I have some testing done and hopefully it will be a non-issue...

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

While your at it see if there are later drivers for your card.

Radar