Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Learjet to greenland 1st leg...

Pro Member Trainee
wejobay Trainee

so i'm doing a bit of my own brand of transatlantic. and by 'my own brand' i suppose you could say i'm cheating a bit Smile a compfy learjet complete with AP and NAVHOLD hahaha.. to each his own, right?

so here are a few screenshots from the first leg of my (planned) world tour. i leave for deployment (i'm in the navy) on july 9th so i'm trying to get as much done and posted before then.

i began my trip at Rosecrans Mem. in the C-2 greyhound that i've become fond of lately. from there i traveled to Chicago Meigs where i discovered how hard it could be to put the big girl down on a short field with crosswinds. it was a tradgedy. there were no survivors hahaha. so as you may have guessed, i don't have any screenshots from that fiasco, nor do i have any from the following flight from Meigs to Cleveland-Hopkins WHICH IS WHERE the flights actually begin....

so on with the show already!!

i began my journey sitting at the gate in Cleveland. a few clouds, but nothing too serious.

after taxiing to the active i was surprised that ATC cleared me to go with a DeHaviland just 3 miles out. so, since i didn't want my trip to be *that* short, i decided to give the ole girl the right of way, and just wait it out.

after the Dash got turned to the taxi way, it was my turn. Wheels up over Cleveland!

Once i got to my cruising alt. (12K) i realized it was a bit more cloudy than i had anticipated.haha

another angle of the low visability

now there is a bit of a gap in the storyboard. i flew from Hopkins to Halifax, Nova Scotia. but i failed to take any screenshots along the way Sad LUCKILY i made up for that with some decent ones from Halifax to Nuuk (BGGH)

clearance, wheels up, and finally turning on course to Nuuk, Greenland for a 3hr 15m flight. it turned out to be pretty eventful. Halifax at night.

now it was about 2 1/2 hrs into the flight before anything s/s worthy happened. it just so happened i was on a ENE heading and the sun was about to breech the horizon. i managed to get a few good looks..

a couple of breathtaking views from the cabin..

and last of the sunrise s/s. forgive me, i couldn't help myself! haha

the blank canvas that is Greenland. just before initial descent.

it turned out that i couldn't quite outrun the fog. it followed me all the way to Greenland! hahaha.. oh well, it made for an interesting approach.

it should be noted that the runway at BGGH is about 3K and some change. i had to get this girl down early! so keep that in mind before you rag on my rate of descent! hahaha

turning base toward BGGH

gear down, cleared to land runway 23.

final approach. still foggy. BGGH ahead.

i'm all lined up and ready to put her down after this one!

i was comin in low and slow! nice view from the 'tower'...

i put her down right on the thresh-hold! hahaha.. i was probably at about 165 knots when i touched down...

a little reverse thrust brought me to a slow crawl quicker than i thought Smile

FINALLY! after a taxi that would drive anyone mad (there was a fork in the road; i chose the wrong way Big Grin, i get her parked. a nice glimpse of the mountains that shadow this little airstrip.

MORE TO COME!

my next leg will most likey be to iceland, or i might just make the big jump to england. we'll see!

Pro Member Captain
vlad (tiger7881) Captain

THE SUNSET SCREENSHOTS ARE BEUTIFUL !!!!

Pro Member Captain
Steve (SpiderWings) Captain

I like shot #5... the aircraft looks great in that foggy background and I just like how it makes you feel what it would be like there.

Also love the landing in Greenland. Very good story and great shots there wejobay. Looking forward to the next installment.

Pro Member Chief Captain
bawls327 Chief Captain

very nice screenshots. I love the sunset screenshots also. Favorite is #8

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

You just gave me a great idea for a flight. Nver thought about flying to Greenland but after your very nice story and beautiful shots I might give it a try. Well done Wejobay! Very Happy

Pro Member Captain

VegasFlyer wrote:

You just gave me a great idea for a flight. Nver thought about flying to Greenland but after your very nice story and beautiful shots I might give it a try. Well done Wejobay! Very Happy

The other day, for my transition flight from my historic re-creation of the Spirit of St. Louis to Paris back to the USA for the next re-creation in California, I decided to fly a C130 Hercules which was a great choice. But along the Great Circle Route to California I found some terrific and surprising scenery. I'd flown to Greenland a couple of times up on the very northern coast but never across the entire island which I did now. I highly recommend the area I flew near the Arctic Circle from Egede og Rothes Fjord on the east coast to Sondre Stromfjord inland a ways on the west coast.

The IFR directed landing into Sondre Stromfjord (BGSF) was one of the most fun and exciting landings I've ever done... partly because it was to be my first ever landing of the C-130, partly because of the broken clouds... mid setting and light rain which allowed some, but not totally open visibility of the far off airport on L downwind for RW 10... but much because of the amazing scenic beauty of the area which really surprised and delighted me. The airport is situated in a fun spot. I highly recommend a visit to it. Oh... I wasn't flying winter... it was May 22.

Hope some of you will do it and enjoy it as much as I did. As you alread see from wejobay's shots, Greenland is quite interesting and beautiful... even in winter.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

SpiderWings wrote:

Greenland is quite interesting and beautiful... even in winter.

It's always winter over there! Wink

Pro Member Captain

VegasFlyer wrote:

SpiderWings wrote:

Greenland is quite interesting and beautiful... even in winter.

It's always winter over there! Wink

awwww... but now you see my surprise because I found a large area that wasn't around Sondre Stromfjord (BGSF) .... you all need to land there sometime... in summer for the beauty.... but any time because its a fun IFR approach.