Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Airplane Gemomentry

Pro Member First Officer
Dan Young (dannyboy2005) First Officer

Hi

I have downloaded some wing vapour, you know when you see some planes come into land they have that thin stream of vapour comming off their wings?

Any way i went to edit the Aircraft.cfg and i don't know what dose what? Take a look

Code: [SMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.0= 16.500, -54.000, -40.000, fx_contrail_wing,
smoke.1= 16.500, -54.000,  40.000, fx_contrail_wing

What part of the plane is 16.500?
What part of the planeis -54.000?
What part of the plane is 40.00?

I hope you can help.

Thanks
Dan

Pro Member Trainee
CAFedm Trainee

You found the right area to adjust (the aircraft.cfg). The first number, 16.500. represents the distance in feet from nose to tail of the aircraft, at it's C of G point - in this case, it is 16.5 ahead of the C of G. Next entry should be distance from midpoint of the fuselage to wingtip; these are easily spotted as one being a neg number, the other a pos (in your example, -40.000, 40.000, for left and right wings). Last numbers represent the vertical distance of the effect, and should normally be close to 0, unless the engines are far above or below your C of G. You can also look in your Effects folder for any file named fx_contrail_? (where ? represents a variation of same effect), e.g., fx_contrail_s, and use that if it better suits.

Pro Member First Officer

your a star, thanks

Now i can start making 😛

Pro Member First Officer

I tried editing it and it didn't work - I think you may have had a mistake somewhere?

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

or more likely.... you did?
Since he knows what he's talking about, and you're just starting to dig into it, it stands to reason the chance he's got it right is bigger then the chance you got it right... :p

Are you sure that these effects are not triggered by a certain parameter(like, engine over 80% N1, or altitude needs to be a positive AGL number, or something like that) or need to be activated by a switch or gauge of sorts?

Anyhow, it's interesting stuff...hope you'll get it to work 🙂

Pro Member First Officer

Well no, Its a .XML gauge

Code: - <Gauge Name="WingTipVortices" Version="1.0">
- <Element>
- <Select>
  <Value>(A:AIRSPEED INDICATED,knot) 150 > (A:AIRSPEED INDICATED,knot) 175 < && if{ (>K:SMOKE_ON) } els{ (>K:SMOKE_OFF) }</Value>
  </Select>
  </Element>
  </Gauge>

Thats all involved then you add the "fx_contrail_320.fx" to the effects folder. I've done that and managed to get it all working, i managed to get the vapour and looks very real but i've got it in the wrong place of the plane, thats why i require help.

Once i've done it for the big default jets i'll go onto do POSKY and then maybe modify some of my PMDG then make a package so everyone can use them.

Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

where did you get this d/load dannyboy?

post a link please if possible

Pro Member First Officer

From Avsim. http://www.avsim.com/

Search pmdg_vapourtrails.zip

Also, why you're there i suggest upgrading your strobe lights so they flash indivually and not together, plus your AI strobes will look sooooo much better - Search asynchronous_strobes_effects.zip

Pro Member Chief Captain

is the vapor specificaly for the PMDG?

Pro Member First Officer

No, its designed to be used with the PMDG 767 i think but thats just the name of the effetct. The code that you have to copy and paste is FOR the PMDG, but this is what i'm having problems with editing.

Pro Member Chief Captain

yes but is the file designed to work with that aircraft alone or can it work with all 767`s or all aircraft? not made by PMDG?

Pro Member First Officer

It can work with any aircraft. The effects name is fx_contrail_320.fx (Sorry, not 767's, my bad) All it is is the name of the effect, you can change it to what ever.

Trial and error, thats all i did but i still dont have any luck.

Pro Member Chief Captain

thx danny boy i will definatly d/load it....

Pro Member First Officer

If you manage to get it working for the Default 737, give me a bell and tell me what you did.

Thanks!

Pro Member Chief Captain

i just d/loaded the file and upon reading the readme it say for use with the PMDG737-600,700 ect....

i do not have any PMDG aircraft.

Pro Member First Officer

Dosn't matter - You can still use it for any aircraft.I manaed to get it working for default 737 but the smoke was starting at the front of the aircraft instead of on the wings.

Talk to me on msn!

Pro Member Chief Captain

dont have it, and there is a reason why you cant get it to start at the wings the file was designed for the PMDG.

now if you know how to edit a confg file and ect. you could probably play with it long enough until you get it to where you want.

Pro Member First Officer

Check my profile....

I know its designed for THE PMDG but i have explained it can be edited. The lines it says 'Add' uou add them to the Aircraft.CFG under the smoke section and add the .XLM gauge to the gauges but you CAN edit where the effects go. Like i've said, its beendone before.

Pro Member Chief Captain

yes i realize its possible but im not capable of doing that editing.

and i dont want to cause an arguement over d/load so beore it does become one....

and also im not sure but is the PMDG a payware A/C?

Pro Member First Officer

yes i realize its possible but im not capable of doing that editing.

Thats why i need help too.. Read the post Twisted Evil

and also im not sure but is the PMDG a payware A/C?

Yes

Pro Member Chief Captain

i dont buy payware d/loads personally i think the money is best spent else where but thats just me...

what if you calculate the diff. in the wing geometries on the pmdg and apply those likes and diff. to the other aircraft

Pro Member First Officer

Be my guest - Once you get it going you can teach me.

Pro Member Chief Captain

no thx i not capable of doing that kind of intence editing, my PC at my ouse doesnt even have internet we live to far in the woods to get a phone line... (funny aint it) I use a flashdrive memory stick to transfer my d/loads to my PC