Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Urban / City graphics in FSX

StartMeUp Guest

I'm currently trying to tweak my settings to get the best mix of realistic graphics and smooth flying. I have scenery set pretty high (large detail radius, autogen to normal, mesh complexity and that stuff set to either high or ultra high settings) but am disappointed at some of the cities.

For example, when doing the Rome to Naples run, when I came to descend into the Naples airport, all I saw was a sort of grey blur where the airport was. As I got closer, the city of Naples came into view, but from a ways out it really wasn't visible.

Just wondering if there are any sliders or patches or anything which could help - most cities look ok when I am right near them, but from a distance, they are somewhat non-existant (even the part of the mission where the co-pilot says to look to the left for Rome - I just see a few buildings off in the distance I assume must be the city...)

I've heard installing the SDK patch can help with graphics? Is this true? I am currently running FSX with SP1, no add ons.

It might be I need a more powerful vid card - in which case I am SOL since I am running on a laptop - but, figured I'd check here and see if anyone else experienced the same thing, or had any tips.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

SDK is for designers, SP1 what your using is all there is.
Lower some of the slides because of that card.

Radar

StartMeUp Guest

Radarman - thanks for the quick reply! Can you give me some guidance on *which* sliders to lower?

Right now I am getting decent frame rates and smooth flight, so what should I lower to increase the quality of the scenery (that seems counter-intuitive to me - shouldn't I be raising sliders for better quality?)

Also, I've heard disabling autogen is a big boost - what do I lose by doing that? Just "random" scenery? What does the sim put in its place if autogen is off? Would that help increase the quality of the non-autogen scenery?

Would Naples, a non-detailed city, even be there if autogen was off?

Thanks for the guidance!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

StartMeUp wrote:

Radarman - thanks for the quick reply! Can you give me some guidance on *which* sliders to lower?

Right now I am getting decent frame rates and smooth flight, so what should I lower to increase the quality of the scenery (that seems counter-intuitive to me - shouldn't I be raising sliders for better quality?)

Also, I've heard disabling autogen is a big boost - what do I lose by doing that? Just "random" scenery? What does the sim put in its place if autogen is off? Would that help increase the quality of the non-autogen scenery?

Would Naples, a non-detailed city, even be there if autogen was off?

Thanks for the guidance!!

Lower autogen, clouds and AI traffic.
The biggest users besides those are ground shadows and bloom, turn them off.

Radar