SearchSearch 

Which Runway?

Joey890 Guest

I was supposed to land at a runway at an airport and their were three runways but which one is which? They told me to land at 16L but I couldn't tell which one that was from the air?

10 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Press the map button in your cockpit or select it from the menu. Also you can see your runway on your GPS. If you are going for an ILS approach than ATC should vector you to your runway and when they tell you you're clear for an ILS approach autopilot should guide you to your runway. I suggest using the map, it's more detailed than the GPS one.

M15A Guest

And if you don't want to use a map, GPS or ILS and just fly VFR: Runway 16L is the runway in the direction of 160 degrees on your compass (hence the '16').

At the airport you are talking about there are 2 runways in that direction, but you should have landed on the left one. The L tells you this. If ATC said 16R you should have landed on the right one in the same direction.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

M15A wrote:

And if you don't want to use a map, GPS or ILS and just fly VFR: Runway 16L is the runway in the direction of 160 degrees on your compass (hence the '16').

At the airport you are talking about there are 2 runways in that direction, but you should have landed on the left one. The L tells you this. If ATC said 16R you should have landed on the right one in the same direction.

This is all correct if there are only two runways at the airport, but if there are more than he needs to use nav. aids. 😉

donttellme Guest

Surprised Don't tell me that you had landed on the taxi way???? Surprised

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

This is a problem many real world pilots have as well. It is a good idea to back up all of your approaches with the ILS.

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

TIP: You dont need GPS ! If ATC teeling you to land on rwy16L then look at your heading indicator and look for heading 160 and you know thats your rwy heading and whhere t navigate to approach and land. For any heading the first 2 letters are the RWY headings, so its an easy quick tip to learn. 😉

M15A Guest

tiger7881 wrote:

TIP: You dont need GPS ! If ATC teeling you to land on rwy16L then look at your heading indicator and look for heading 160 and you know thats your rwy heading and whhere t navigate to approach and land. For any heading the first 2 letters are the RWY headings, so its an easy quick tip to learn. 😉

That's what I said as well (see above), plus the fact that the L tells you it is the left runway in the direction of 160. But VegasFlyer wrote that this only works if there are only 2 runways.

Could someone clarify??

ard_dc Guest

3 runways with the same numbers is still possible, 18 Left, 18 Right and 18 Center.... 🙂

I haven't yet seen an airport with more than 3 runways with the same numbers yet....

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

M15A wrote:

tiger7881 wrote:

TIP: You dont need GPS ! If ATC teeling you to land on rwy16L then look at your heading indicator and look for heading 160 and you know thats your rwy heading and whhere t navigate to approach and land. For any heading the first 2 letters are the RWY headings, so its an easy quick tip to learn. 😉

That's what I said as well (see above), plus the fact that the L tells you it is the left runway in the direction of 160. But VegasFlyer wrote that this only works if there are only 2 runways.

Could someone clarify??

I guess I messed up! I apologize. Embarassed

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

ard_dc wrote:

3 runways with the same numbers is still possible, 18 Left, 18 Right and 18 Center.... 🙂

I haven't yet seen an airport with more than 3 runways with the same numbers yet....

There are a few, in real life anyway (not sure about the sim). I think LAX might be like that - four parallel strips. They don't give them the same numbers, though, they change one pair to the next appropriate compass heading, so we'd have (say) 18L, 18R, 19L, 19R.

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1

Related Questions