Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

This PC must be able to run FSX on Max, Need Help! thanks!

This pc that i am about to buy from a custom pc manufacture must be able to run FSX SP1 on max with a good 10 to 20FPS. This PC costs £744 and i cannot afford anything more than that.
Specs:
Processor (CPU)
INTEL® Core 2 Duo E6600 (2 X 2.40GHz) 1066MHz FSB/4MB L2 Cache

Memory (RAM)
4096 MB CORSAIR DDR2 800MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (4x1GB)

Motherboard
ASUS® P5N32-E SLI+: Quad-core CPU Ready, NVIDIA® Dual X16 SLI

Operating System
64 BIT WINDOWS® VISTA Home Premium

Graphics Card
256MB GEFORCE 8600GTS PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7200rpm)

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

There is a thread stickied RIGHT at the top of this forum, for posts like this. This is clutter.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

JL is right, that machine is fine but get a minimum 700w major brand power supply with it.

Radar

You will have to spend an extra $100 or how ever many Lbs that is and go from an 8600 GTS to an 8800 GTS, 320 MB. I just did this trade a couple days ago and maxed out I get 10-20 FPS in medium population areas. I do not think the latest Crey supercomputer will get you above 20 FPS maxed out over LA / SEA / LON (Big Cities). My rig is a lovely new Dell E521 I have already spent a ton on. 4000 Dual Core AMD, 2 GB Ram, 500w PSU, stock mobo, 8800 GTS OC which required hacksawing the fan shroud and heat sink for OB GPU to stuff it in there. But is works real good now. Downloaded Ntune and my GC runs 60 deg C at idle and >70 deg during FSX in case you were wondering.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Speak for yourself, lol... My "super computer" has been setting some pretty nice benchmarks when it comes to FPS... Its possible to get WAY over 20fps... In LA, Im getting over 75fps, in Seattle, 66fps, and in London, over 80fps...This is with all scenery sliders at the absolute max.

Here is the max FPS I have squeezed out of my machine in Jamaica, which is also, pretty heavily populated.

BTW, your GTS is running VERY hot, with a little modding, you can get the temps down below 40*c.

Hi thanks for your replies, and sorry for postiong the topic. I have 1 more question, will the power supplie effect the system, the pc comes with a 500w one so why would i need a 700w, shouldnt 500w be enough.
Thanks.

Anonymous wrote:

Hi thanks for your replies, and sorry for postiong the topic. I have 1 more question, will the power supplie effect the system, the pc comes with a 500w one so why would i need a 700w, shouldnt 500w be enough.
Thanks.

And also is windows 64bit better for FSX as this is going to be the primary game that i will be playing.

Anonymous wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

Thanks.

And also is windows 64bit better for FSX as this is going to be the primary game that i will be playing.

Yeah i also have that question about the power supplie and the 64 bit and 32 bit version of vista.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

I had a chance to tinker around with 64bit Windows Vista Ultimate on a buddies PC.... his system specs are IDENTICAL to mine except for an 8800GTS 640mb, and 4gigs of DDR2-800. He is even overclocked the same (Once I did it for him).

64bit Vista, surprisingly had issues running some programs. Im not sure why this is, but it DID run FSX... his copy of FSX is also the standard like mine and i set it up similar to mine. Ive learned two things from this...

The 8800 series card is DEFINITLY not optimal for FSX... not yet anyways! His FSP was nothing like mine and my card is SIGNIFICANTLY outdated compared to the 8800. This definitly proved mt theory that the 8800, where as PERFECT and AWESOME on any other D3D or DX9 game, just not FSX.

Secondly, Vista Ultimate 64bit has a 120gig memory max. 😳 ... with the 4gigs, and 64bit, there was no improvement from before he went 64bit. In fact, his PC takes longer to load than mine..

Odd....

guest who started this Guest

strange that lol!!!!!
So why would i need to get a bigger power supply shouldnt a 500w powere supply be enough!!

guest who started this wrote:

strange that lol!!!!!
So why would i need to get a bigger power supply shouldnt a 500w powere supply be enough!!

no, you don't need a larger powersupply.

Thats what i thought but raderman said i need at least a 700w power supply?

Pro Member First Officer
Greg West (BashDaBish) First Officer

The 500w power supply may be adequate for what you currently have but you will be limited to any future upgrades such as going SLi (2 graphics cards) or adding any more hard drives and optical drives.

Having a 700w gives you a bit of room to play with.

I currently have a high quality 700w PSU although it is not 100% needed to run the system I have. I am not comfortable with a cheap 500w PSU providing power to my expensive components. It gives me room to play with if needed. It makes sense.

there is no immediate plan for fsx to support dual graphics cards (crossfire) or sli.

fsx doesn't even support dx10 as we speak !!!

Pro Member First Officer

Point 1 - You are right in a sense that FSX is not optomized for SLi or Crossfire.

Point 2 - However, FSX does perform better with SLi. I had two 7300GT's towards the end of 2006 and FSX ran 5-10fps better that just the one 7300GT. Whilst FSX is not optomized to take full advantage of SLi it does make a difference.

Point 3 - Look to the future. I did state 'you will be limited to any future upgrades'.

Point 4 - Is it worth the risk running a higher end system with a relatively low PSU?

Point 5 - All the components listed are juice sapping. There will be very little room for any upgrades you do.

guest who started this - It's your money mate. We can only advise. Post your question on other forums that specialize in hardware. I don't know of many that would discourage you from getting a better PSU.

you might as well recommend to buy 2x 8800GTS.

BashDaBish wrote:

Point 1 - You are right in a sense that FSX is not optomized for SLi or Crossfire.

Point 2 - However, FSX does perform better with SLi. I had two 7300GT's towards the end of 2006 and FSX ran 5-10fps better that just the one 7300GT. Whilst FSX is not optomized to take full advantage of SLi it does make a difference.

Point 3 - Look to the future. I did state 'you will be limited to any future upgrades'.

Point 4 - Is it worth the risk running a higher end system with a relatively low PSU?

Point 5 - All the components listed are juice sapping. There will be very little room for any upgrades you do.

guest who started this - It's your money mate. We can only advise. Post your question on other forums that specialize in hardware. I don't know of many that would discourage you from getting a better PSU.

you are living in fantasy land.

Pro Member First Officer

Explain please. If you are going to disagree, list your reasons to the points I have raised.

Edit - still waiting for Guest who says I am living in fantasy land to qualify his statement.

Last edited by Greg West (BashDaBish) on Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total

I understand what you are trying to say, i am thinking of going SLI and in the future quad core so i would probably need a better psu.