Building a computer and need help

Guest Guest

I was thinking of building a computer with help from a friend. But still deciding on parts for it. I was wondering if this computer will run FSX pretty Well and run fs9 too.

Here are the Following Specs:

CPU: (Socket AM2) AMD Athlon™64 X2 6000+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

MOTHERBOARD: (Socket AM2)GigaByte GA-M55SLI-S4 nForce4 SLI Chipset DDR2/800 SATA 16x PCI-Express MBoard w/GbLAN,IEEE1394,USB2.0,&7.1Audio

MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)1GB (2x512MB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
(Should i get more memory and how much)

500 Watts Power Supply

NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 16X PCI Express

Im not sure on the video card which run will work the best. I think im gonna stick with Windows XP right now. Any help would be appreciated. If you have different ideas on how this could go i would like to hear them.
Thanks

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Get at least another GB of memory. I think your future machine could handle even more but I'm not an expert.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Yes 2 one gig sticks so you can expand to 4 gigs later.
At least a 700w brand name power supply

Why not get a Core2Duo they're faster and better.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Ravie Trainee

radarman wat is it with u and 700w PSUs 😛 not needed unless u have a really high end system or are planning on running SLi and Overclocking

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Ravie wrote:

radarman wat is it with u and 700w PSUs 😛 not needed unless u have a really high end system or are planning on running SLi and Overclocking

Use what you please, we are all entitled to our opinions and I happen to feel that too many people underpower their computers.
With all the USB and other components that go into a machine today draining as much as they can from the p/s you need a name brand 700w minimum.

If you aren't building a gaming high end computer then it doesn't pay to build or use for the flight Sim.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

As far as the graphics card goes, have a look at http://www.computershopper.co.uk/ - look in reveiws archive then select graphics cards. They have reveiwed cards of all prices and capabilities. I have bought several things based solely on thier reveiws and all have been brilliant, so worth looking.

Pro Member Trainee
Ravie Trainee

radarman from wat the guy said he ISNT building a high end system

so 700w psu is overkill

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Ravie wrote:

radarman from wat the guy said he ISNT building a high end system

so 700w psu is overkill

I guess so.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
piper_wichmon Trainee

Here's my system that runs FSX pretty well, I can't max out every setting, but it runs fairly well.

pentium D 3.4ghz
2gb corsair pc5400
evga 680i motherboard
evga 7600gt
500w psu
160gb western digital

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

I would agree with those above re: the 2 gigs of memory.
Here's a good rec.'
http://www.ncix.com/products//?sku=18581&vpn=TWIN2X2048-6400&manufacture=CORSAIR

Take Radar's advice and go for the Core Duo. An E6750 only costs about 30 bucks more than the 6000+...much better for FSX.

Get a good 500 watt PS (Antec, Enermax etc,) don't take the crappo one that comes with your new case - it it does come with a PS.

If you are going with an 8600 nvidia card, spend a little more and get something like this:

http://www.ncix.com/products//?sku=23716&vpn=256-P2-N761-AR&manufacture=eVGA

I'm using that one and it runs FSX easily up near the top with no sweat at all.
Good Luck

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...