Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Realistic Flying Times

Sam Pears Guest

I am thinking about buying FS2004 (My computer won't run FSX) and I have one question, say I want to fly from London Heathrow to New York JFK, will it be the realistic 7 / 7 and a half hours? I mean that would be really good.

Thanks,
Sam

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Pretty much, yes. Depends on routes and weather, but it would take around 7 or so hours for the flight you mention.

Sam Pears Guest

So if I wanted to I could fly a London - Sydney 18 hour flight?

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Sure, yes - if there's an aircraft that can carry enough fuel to make the trip. Of course, you could simply "cheat" and adjust the fuel settings as you go along.

Sam Pears Guest

Oh WOW! A Boeing 747-400 can carry enough fuel for that route can't it?

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

I'll check that out and get back to you in a few minutes. If not, perhaps the 777-ER? That's not included by default, but there are many excellent addon aircraft you can download (some free, some payware).

Sam Pears Guest

Ok thanks, looking forward to your answer.

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Well, none of the default aircraft can do it in one go (747-400 and 777-300 are included with FS2004). So that leaves a couple of options:

Make a fuel stop in Bankok or Singapore, just like real life;

Find a downloadable plane that can do it;

Or just fly half the route then cheat by upping the fuel quantity. There's also a "never run out of fuel" option, but I suppose that's cheating too. Laughing

Sam Pears Guest

Ok thanks. So what kind of plane would be able to do it in one go?

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

In flightsim, I'm not sure. In real life, I think the 777-ER (probably not getting the name exactly right) can manage about 18 hours aloft, but with a light payload. Of course, whether it could do London-Sydney in real-life weather conditions with a regular payload I'm not sure.

There may be a FS2004 version of this aircraft somewhere. There are other posters here who would know better than me.

Still, even if you can't get one to do this exact route, there are plenty of long flights you could do.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

The new Airbus A380 I guess. Wink

Sam Pears Guest

Alright tohanks for all your help, I will be getting this and a joystick, maybe some expansion packs as well when I go to New York next month. I can't wait to play this.

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Enjoy it Very Happy

And your trip to New York, of course...

Pro Member First Officer
kieranja First Officer

the new 380 can make the 18 hour non stop no problem

Sam Pears Guest

kieranja wrote:

Ok, is there anywhere I can download that for free maybe?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Sam Pears wrote:

kieranja wrote:

Ok, is there anywhere I can download that for free maybe?

Here.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=sa380.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Hold your horses Sam. A380 is not just a small aircraft that you can learn to fly in an hour. You won't be happy when you see how many buttons, procedures and all kinds of stuff are there to do and to know so you can get that bird in the sky and kep' er there. You'll see it for yourself when you buy the sim. Wink

Sam Pears Guest

VegasFlyer wrote:

Hold your horses Sam. A380 is not just a small aircraft that you can learn to fly in an hour. You won't be happy when you see how many buttons, procedures and all kinds of stuff are there to do and to know so you can get that bird in the sky and kep' er there. You'll see it for yourself when you buy the sim. Wink

Wow, so is there like lesons in the program that teaches you how to do it?

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Yes there are. Lessons starting from the small Cessnas all the way to Boeing 737 and 747. You learn everything. It's recommended that you take some of those lessons so you learn some basic yet very important things about flying.Don't worry it's not that hard, you'll have alot of fun doing it. Wink

blahalj Guest

there is no plane in real life or in fs2004 that can do it non stop. the closest that can do it is the 777-200lr i forgot by whom, but it will get you pretty close (look it up in avsim.net). in real life the 772lr can do sydney-london but during the summer and one way only thats why qantas didn't buy it.

Sam Pears Guest

blahalj wrote:

there is no plane in real life or in fs2004 that can do it non stop. the closest that can do it is the 777-200lr i forgot by whom, but it will get you pretty close (look it up in avsim.net). in real life the 772lr can do sydney-london but during the summer and one way only thats why qantas didn't buy it.

Your wrong. I have been resaerching and the A380 can do the route easily.

blahalj Guest

um i don't think so, maybe without any payload it might do 85% of the route in real life with full pax and payload it does roughly 6500 nm. check wikipedia for more info Wink