Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

AI for Dummies....

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

OK I am stumped. I have downloaded MRAI installer and a couple other AI thingies... got all the liveries I want to where I am uncertain which is which anymore... and downloaded more flight plans than i know what to do with... but I cannot seem to put it all together.

Does anyone have an AI for dummies or can you recommend a definitive AI installer that a dummy like me can use? I do have that TTools but I cannot make heads nor tails of it. I would rather not install any AI plans till I know what I am doing.

HELP! Please?

Pro Member Trainee
CAFedm Trainee

If you have TTools, reading the tutorial is the best bet. Although it may look foreign at first, it will click into place once you try a few modifications and see how they work. Simply make a backup copy of all your AI flightplans, etc., before starting and you will have a base to experiement with, without fear of trashing your good flight plans.

TTools is essentially the installer for any AI traffic, in spite of which AI packages may be used (e.g., Project AI, World of AI, MRAI, etc.). What it does is to compile three files, e.g., Airports.txt, Aircraft.txt, & FlightPlans.txt, which in turn creates a Traffic.bgl file that can be found within FS9>Scenery>World folders. Note that, although TTools won't work in FSX, the compiled Traffic.bgl files will. Traffic.bgl ultimately controls AI in the sim. Once the traffic.bgl file exists, TTools can also decompile it in order to generate the separated files, Airports.txt, Aircraft.txt, & FlightPlans.txt (decompiling is handy if you wish to edit your AI configuration after having created the Traffic.bgl file). Without either of these base files, modified AI will not be created, as the installer will not allow you to COMPILE. One further item - the three files must share common naming - you can keep separate traffic files if desired, e.g.,

Airports_AIRLINES.txt
Aircraft_AIRLINES.txt ---> creates Traffic_AIRLINES.bgl
FlightPlans_AIRLINES.txt

Airports_MILITARY.txt
Aircraft_MILITARY.txt ---> creates Traffic_MILITARY.bgl
FlightPlans_MILITARY.txt

Airports_GA.txt
Aircraft_GA.txt ---> creates Traffic_GA.bgl
FlightPlans_GA.txt

Of course, you can lump everything together, but this gets messy for the purposes of editing, as each of the source files will end up much larger.

Don't give up in frustration - it's very rewarding to be able to create your own AI modifications and see your handiwork cruising around in the sim.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

belgeode wrote:

OK I am stumped. I have downloaded MRAI installer and a couple other AI thingies... got all the liveries I want to where I am uncertain which is which anymore... and downloaded more flight plans than i know what to do with... but I cannot seem to put it all together.

Does anyone have an AI for dummies or can you recommend a definitive AI installer that a dummy like me can use? I do have that TTools but I cannot make heads nor tails of it. I would rather not install any AI plans till I know what I am doing.

HELP! Please?

😀 I've been in your situation and i can help you out on this! If you go here http://www.projectai.com/ , register on the forum (free), then download the installer and follow the instructions. You then have the choice of 17 pages of free ai traffic that the installer will install for you complete with flight plans.
Any difficulties don't hesitate to ask i'll be glad to help!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Thanks a lot guys... that will be on my agenda after work today!