SearchSearch 

XGraphics + Ultimate Terrain X = Whoa!

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

56kb, beware!

Well,
as I had posted in the XGraphics thread, I wasnt that impressed with the add-on, but after tweaking and playing with the overcast/rain scenerios, Im very impressed... no more of flying above the rain/clouds and having it magically be clear, and able to see the ground, etc... You the shading and softness of the clouds is very apparent, as well as the overcast features. There is now a TRUE overcast. The runway textures, taxi textures, and new aircraft lighting are awesome! Unlike the default landing lights where they completely flush out the ground and markings, leaving a solid white blob on the ground, you can now adjust the hue of the lighting (yellowish, like a hallogen, blueish like an HID, or White like a high kelvin halogen), you can also see the markings on the ground, and even reflections of the light on the wet ground.

-$34.99 XGraphics conclusion, Im very happy with the realism that it adds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I came across the new addition to Flight1 product line called "Ultimate Terrain X - USA Edition" - This adds all SORTS of new textures/features/lighting, etc to FSX, and once again, I did not suffer a SIGNIFICANT fps hit. There was a slight decrease of about 5-6fps until I did some tweaking. I leave my FPS locked at 25fps even though I can achieve upwards of 100fps constant with maxed autogen, this reduces any stutters.

This program allows the tweaking of nearly every aspect of FSX, including texture sizing, density, traffic, etc via their own GUI. It then saves the content/settings into FSX and off you go. What I like about this program, is it allows you to turn on and off certain features. This program even shows you a little meter on the potential impact on performance in each and every individual tweak, to give you a good idea of what will happen with each change. This program did require some tweaking at first, since with the default configuration, caused FSX to take nearly 10min to load, and 4fps on MY SYSTEM!!! However, after making some minor adjustments, noticed no loss in quality, and my FPS jumped back to where it was before, 80-95fps Unlimited, and 25fps when locked there, even with the night lighting on max.

Here are some screenshots of both add-on installed at the same time.

14 Responses

Pro Member Trainee
falconxxx Trainee

Wow!!!..Those are really gorgeous pictures....have to keep those programs in mind.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Magic, magic. It's amazing the fine fine programs that have come out for FSX so early in it's life.
What are we going to get next.

http://www.fsgenesis.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc ???

Radar

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

beautiful pictures m8 keep them coming.

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

I am thinking about getting Xgraphics for my rig. When it comes to fps, How much of a drop or do your fps increase? Is this software going to compliment DX10? I wonder what PhilTaylor has to say about it?

Jetman

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

jetman35 wrote:

I am thinking about getting Xgraphics for my rig. When it comes to fps, How much of a drop or do your fps increase? Is this software going to compliment DX10? I wonder what PhilTaylor has to say about it?

Jetman

I didn't notice any difference in FPS.
As for DX 10, no one knows.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Rae.Johns (loner001) Trainee

Hi All I've been watching the postings for xgraphics with interest, then yesterday i decided to purshase it, What a difference it makes, I'm well impressed.

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

Did anybody get just the basic Xgraphic and if so, how do the fps compare to the deluxe version? I am thinking about going deluxe but afraid that it may use up too much resources compared to the basic $35 version. In the deluxe version do you have the option to choose xgraphic and xtrain?

Jetman

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

jetman35 wrote:

Did anybody get just the basic Xgraphic and if so, how do the fps compare to the deluxe version? I am thinking about going deluxe but afraid that it may use up too much resources compared to the basic $35 version. In the deluxe version do you have the option to choose xgraphic and xtrain?

Jetman

This is mine http://www.hifitechinc.com/ and I can set the trains and the tacks as well as roads.

I never noticed that there were two versions.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

Well, there is the ASX/Xgraphics and just Xgraphics. The bundle cost 70 some dollars and the the reg xgraphics is $35 dollars. I was just wondering if you need the asx also?

Jetman

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

Also, When my cloud settings are set to 3D, I take a big hit in fps. Will I need to keep fsx set for 3D in order to use Xgraphics or can I go to 2D?

Jetman

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

They sell two items.
Scenery and weather.
I bought scenery XGraphics,
The weather is another download.
They bundle them and give you a better price if you buy both.
I don't care for the weather change so I just bought the one.

You can use either set of clouds, there are two tabs on the clouds settings in XGraphics.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Rifro Trainee
Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

I read somewhere some short time ago that the "download" time with each flight is extrimly long. Is it true ?

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Load times are no longer than before... they do have to initially load the new textures, after that, its normal.