Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

WHAT'S THE LONGEST FLIGHT YOU'VE "SIMMED" IN REAL

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

.....in real time (not speeding up the sim).

..... Mine is HEATHROW, EGLL - MALE, MALDIVES

but I did sleep for 5 hours in the middle of it ! (Cancelled the IFR flight plan so that ATC wouldn't give me any grief, then resumed it later....

Also flew the 747 RFP from MANCHESTER - HONG KONG but I hadn't filled up on fuel and the plane came down only 130 nm from Hong Kong !!

(I was asleep at the time and my Force Feedback Joystick woke me up, wobbling all over the place as the plane crashed!)

Hoping to do HEATHROW - SYDNEY soon, across a weekend, with periods of sleep thrown in !

Pro Member Trainee
Ohiosimmer Trainee

I've done Hong Kong to Chicago........It was fun taking off and landing, but the rest was so boring, so if I do any long flights now I just speed up the sim.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Well, my longest flight without speeding up the sim was Heathrow to JFK.
It was my first flight in FS2004 with a big jet. I have a screenshot of my first flight inj the Screenshots Gallery. I remember I made that flight without autopilot. So every 30 minutes I checked the flight and turn the plane to the right position. I made that flight using my keyboard. Do you know what happened when I was approaching the airport? I crashed and I didn't make it to the runway. Crying or Very sad Yesterday, I made a flight from Zurich, Switzerland to Lisbon, Portugal without speeding up the sim. Do you know what happened when I was approaching the airport? I landed safely. 😂

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

Here is an example of a super long flight and the emergency landing that ensued. Flight was calculated from PHNL to KDEN x4 . That's Honolulu, Hawaii to Denver, Colorado USA. The issue of the emergency landing is apparent in the screenshot as you can see. NO FUEL. Also you will see that FS9 could not keep up with my emergency turning and decent as the alt. is stuck at over 6000!

Emergency landing made at KCAG which I found nearby. It was the only AP I could find in the area that had a long enough runway. Why this little airport that had general aviation AI taildraggers on the ramp and in the skies galore ever came equipped with a runway that can accomodate a B737 is beyond me. I'd imagine in real-world it could be used by Learjets or...? It was by the grace of god that it was there as It made a disaster in sim a different experience and pretty memorable one. Not ony that but I could have flown in sim for years and years and NEVER seen or visited this airport and now I have.

Keep on flying and keep seeing new and unexpected things in FS9!!

B737-200 PHNL to KDEN diverts to KCAG on emergency landing

Cancel IFR for emerg. broke up my route history

Last edited by George (OrlandoGeorge) on Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:04 am, edited 4 times in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I did a Atlanta to Rome, Rome to Hamburg, Hamburg to Heathrow, Heathrow to Atlanta once...Didn't sleep. I managed to listen to EVERY HEINO SONG I OWN TWICE...I have over 7 hours of Heino. I also read Salem's lot, and got about 5 chapters done in The Scarlet Letter! 😳

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

I probably am not gonna be able to do much of very long distance flights until I've got some holiday or something, my job keeps interrupting my spare time :/

I'm on a little roundtrip now, Amsterdam -> Munich -> Rome -> Athens -> Tel Aviv -> Baku -> Moscow -> Helsinki -> Oslo -> Amsterdam.

I'm at the moment slowing making my approach at Moscow (Airport UUEE, I could not possibly reproduce the name), but work-obligations forced me to break it up for a while, I didnt plan my time right - paused in mid-air 😞

Continuing tonight 😎

Pro Member Captain

Hey ARD, that's bizarre because I flew to a number of those places you've covered on your trip, on my BARON 58 tour (check out the Topic in the "Other" Forum....!

Started in Newcastle (EGNT), and flew to Oslo, then through Sweden and Finland, stopped off in St. Peterburg, then down through the Caucasus and I also stopped in Baku..... I then made 12 stops in Asia before reaching Oz.... (I'm still in Oz now but about to head off over the Pacific, towards New Caledonia).... I then plan to reach Hawaii by "island hopping" through the pacific ! I flew all this way in the BARON ! And all in real time...

What are you flying your tour in ?

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

Think the word bizarre would more apply to your tour Surprised

How long is that entire trip taking you???
I do only fly realtime as well yeah, but I'm flying the 737 atm.

Found some cool KLM textures for it just today, so I'm gonna stop in Moscow (UUEE) for a bit and see if there is a hangar there that can do paintjobs, before continuing Wink

Pro Member Captain

By the time I get home to Newcastle, I expect the trip will have taken 4 months.... BUT.... that's not constant FS time... sometimes I leave the tour for a fortnight and do Airline simulation on the 737NG, 747RFP, A340 and little Dash 8 ...... But as much as I love procedural IFR Airline flying, theres something great about just picking a destination, taking off and managing your route VFR, concentrating on other things, like how to fly around the Himalaya, when you Baron stops climbing at 18000, and how to manage fuel etc...

When I finish this tour, my next challenge is that I plan to fly a Diamond HK36 (small Motorized Glider with top cruise speed of 101kts) from Newcastle up to the Arctic Circle, via Norway and Russia !

Pro Member First Officer

The famous Fly Away BARON 58 tour! Cool. That posting you did on the Baron tour is what inspired me to hang tough and make some hellishly long flights like Honolulu to Denver. It is r-o-u-g-h to do at times I swear I sometimes feel like quitting a hundred times while in the middle of nowhere at flt. level with hours to go. You all feel the same pain at times I am sure.

I have aborted many flights because of this as I am not the consumate VA person. Once I took off from KSFO and headed to Tokyo only to say .."What the hell am I doing?" -I am sure you all know that drill in terms of some flight, somewhere. Keep flying - keep trying!

P.S.-On another subject, what is a fortnight?

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

The-GPS-Kid wrote:

By the time I get home to Newcastle, I expect the trip will have taken 4 months.... BUT.... that's not constant FS time... sometimes I leave the tour for a fortnight and do Airline simulation on the 737NG, 747RFP, A340 and little Dash 8 ...... But as much as I love procedural IFR Airline flying, theres something great about just picking a destination, taking off and managing your route VFR, concentrating on other things, like how to fly around the Himalaya, when you Baron stops climbing at 18000, and how to manage fuel etc...

When I finish this tour, my next challenge is that I plan to fly a Diamond HK36 (small Motorized Glider with top cruise speed of 101kts) from Newcastle up to the Arctic Circle, via Norway and Russia !

I'm some 200 nm North of UUEE Moscow now, they had a paintshop at UUEE so I am flying KLM now (Hey I'm Dutch - and a bit of a "Patriot" in those kind of things 😀). Reading some comic while at cruise level, glancing at the instruments everynow and then, and suddenly gasped at the skies in amazement (it was around 23:00 local time) - a strange mist right ahead of me, chaging between green, blue, purple and yellow, randomly appearing and dissapearing 😳 ...it was beautiful to see, a total surprise to me. Is this that so-called "northern-lights?"

to everyone who's not seen it yet, take a fly up north; it's worth seeing!

Pro Member Captain

Hey yes, that was the Northern Lights - I've read other postings on this and I'm looking forward to seeing this, may head up there tonight, in my RAF Tornedo (can get up there pretty quickly at Mach 2.0 !)... !

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

If you see KL512 somewhat north-east of ULAA (If I'm not mistaken 😀 - at work now so can't check) don't forget to wave - that'd be me 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Kurt Stevens (KurtPStevens) First Officer

I just flew a B-52 from Ellsworth AFB in S.Dakota to Anderson AFB on Guam non-stop. ( Played Diablo II on my laptop to pass the time 🙂 )

Pro Member Captain

Hey Kurt - good to hear from you, it's been a while...

Sounds like a nice run out to Guam.... Bet you burned some fuel on that run, in the 52.... While you're around, pop down to Fiji - I'm there with the Baron !

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

now i feel unworthy!!

The longest flight i have done "real time" is from Gatwick to Athens in my favourite Airbus A321. Took about 3.5 hours. However, im worried about doing a longer flight as run a laptop and wouldn't want to sleep in the middle in case of overheating!!
Has anyone used the Cooling docking station for a laptop, and if so, is it anygood?? 😉

Pro Member Trainee
gabejo Trainee

I retraced an actual flight from Seattle to Seoul, flew "hugging" the coast across Alaska and the former Soviet Union down to Korea. Flew a DC 10 similar to the actual flight. Didn't plan on enough fuel and ditched in the sea of Japan...oh well

Pro Member First Officer

Ditching in the Sea of Japan is still keeping it real and that's the object. Some use FS9 as a game and other people, like most around here, are committed to the "As real as it gets" philosophy. Congratulations on staying the course and ditching if need be. I am sure the ditching issue was a wild ride and so what if in this case the journey was not totally completed. You are doing good!! 🙂

Where's gabejo?? ..At least he gave it his best and all!!

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

Where's gabejo?? ..At least he gave it his best and all!!

Too funny 😀😀

I completed Amsterdam to Capetown last night.
Can't even remember how long it was now - somewhere between 12 and 15 hours. Stopped for a refuel in Tanger - on an airport I expected to be of reasonable size; but alas - it wasn't. The taxiways weren't wide enough for my 767-300ER :/

I did a completely manual ILS approach at capetown in fog with 0 visibility - (not easy in a jet for me!!) there was no ATIS either - I noticed way too late there was a strong crosswind...
And after thousands of miles of flying - there she went; Slammed down HARD, ended up with the nose straight in the runway Embarassed Doh!

Glad I saved when starting the approach - CTRL+; - and I got it right the second time :p

Pro Member Captain

It is certainly no easy task landing any jet using the ILS manually.... I'm trying a lot at the moment too.... I use the ILS on Autopilot until the Localizer capture gets me lined up with the Runway, then disconnect and try and stay lined up and try and manage the Glideslope manually, sticking to the Instruments (ILS display).... this is CHALLENGING STUFF !

Try it in a plane without an AutoThrottle (such as a 727 or CRJ) and it's even harder as you need to make throttle adjustments too !

I have a DVD called "Styrian Spirit" which features the CRJ taking off, cruising and landing, and it shows a pilot landing the CRJ manually using ILS from 1000 feet... it's amazing - he doesn't even look out of the window until the "50 feet" alert is sounded - he's transfixed to the ILS Display, making lots of small corrective movements on the yoke....

Makes you really respect the skills of a Jet pilot, and realise that not everyone in the world physically has the ability to do this challenging task.

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

I couldnt agree more ...lol...it takes some serious effort to get the hang of it - but the challenge makes it fun 🙂 I'm continuing my practise Wink

As far as "not-looking-out-of-the-window" goes, I can recommend using foggy weather. Whether you like it or not, you can't see until you get close to the flare Wink Don't have a choice but to fly full-instruments 😀

Pro Member Trainee
DMB_Pounder Trainee

About 2 weeks ago I flew a B2 Bomber from honolulu (where I live) to NYC (where I grew up. It took about 9.5 hours in all and I do it quite often as I get a lot of work done in between which is why I love this game. It doesnt keep me glued to the screen for hours. I just take off, set it on automatic pilot, check it every once in a while, come back and land it.

I flew around the world over a weekend in a Learjet once from Hawaii to San Francisco to Vegas, to NYC, to Florida, to Dominican Republic, to Brazil, to Sierra Leone, to Egypt, to Israel, to Iraq, to Thailand, to Philippines, to Japan, to Wake Island, and back to Hawaii. The first leg I miscalculated and ran out of fuel on the way but after that I managed to do make every flight real time and no refuels.

I love this game 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

GPS-KID. I decided to give the only-use-ILS idea like the one in your DVD a try. I started at 1,000 as you said, and forced myself to only look at the instruments. It's loads harder to do with just a joystick, i tell you what! When I finally heard the 50 foot callout, i was so happy!!! I got the CRJ from Delta Virtual, and used the Greg737 panel.

Pro Member Captain

....You done well if you got it onto the Runway in one piece.

I've been trying it too - in fact I disengaged the A/P last night in the 737NG at 1000 feet, and used just the ILS display, I'm getting better with the GLIDESLOPE part of it but I struggle to LINE UP very good using just the ILS display.... it's very tricky, I reckon it must be easier in real life 😂

Cant' really explain why but it seems a little easier at night, if you're landing at a big Airport with nice bright lighting !

It's made a lot easier by assigning your TRIM controlls to Joystick buttons (if you have them, on top of the stick), so you can make fast trim adjustments as you're descending.

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

I had a long flight. I jump into my 777 and started my flight from Los Angeles, CA to Sydney Australia. I left it on autopilot and went to bed and the next morning I was still flying! I had about 20 percent of fuel left and about 1 hour before touch down!

JetMan

Jetman,

I also like the airport and approach to Sydney. I fly the Aloha 7E7 out of PHNL to there and had to suspend/cancel the IFR because I am not disciplined enought to take the time to sit and do nothing but make 2 course corrections every 35 minutes and answere the ATC with checkins etc. Wings level and leave it alone for a couple hours while adjusting for the Earth's curvature by heading South of the flt. plan.

Some may say why bother to do long flights if one is not willing to 'do' the flight right, but as we know, there is not as much fun or reward in just taking time shortcuts. Even if I am elsewhere while my A/C is flying I am ok with it. I'd imagine many pilots and co-pilots snooze for a while as well.

If anyone is interested in a kick butt flight I have one that I recommend to all very highly. That is the flight from Sydney to Melbourne. Set you GMT calculation so that you arrive 200 miles out of Melbourne at about 1 hour till sunset and you will not be disapointed. The FS9 sunset down under is spectacular so you will have to see that for yourself. My descriptions are worth little until you fly it for yourself.

Pro Member First Officer

Guess I accidentally logged in 'Guest' on the above. --Here is one more from outside Melbourne. -You can really get some excellent screen captures with this lighting if you favor such shots.

I addition, I have not seen clouds like this before (pic. below) anywhere in the FS9 scenery except in Australia. --Anyone know what this type of cloud formation is called?

Pro Member First Officer
Pro-Sim First Officer

The-GPS-Kid wrote:

It is certainly no easy task landing any jet using the ILS manually.... I'm trying a lot at the moment too.... I use the ILS on Autopilot until the Localizer capture gets me lined up with the Runway, then disconnect and try and stay lined up and try and manage the Glideslope manually, sticking to the Instruments (ILS display).... this is CHALLENGING STUFF !

Try it in a plane without an AutoThrottle (such as a 727 or CRJ) and it's even harder as you need to make throttle adjustments too !

I have a DVD called "Styrian Spirit" which features the CRJ taking off, cruising and landing, and it shows a pilot landing the CRJ manually using ILS from 1000 feet... it's amazing - he doesn't even look out of the window until the "50 feet" alert is sounded - he's transfixed to the ILS Display, making lots of small corrective movements on the yoke....

Makes you really respect the skills of a Jet pilot, and realise that not everyone in the world physically has the ability to do this challenging task.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

WHY WOULD YOU BUMP THIS THREAD TO DO THAT!!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

AN ACCIDENT, MAYBE.

Pro Member Trainee
Pappy55 Trainee

My longest without time compression has to be

London - New York

Longest with compression is Hawaii - Singapore

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

heathrow to san francisco...a full 12 hours

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

Done 13.9 hours for real on a combat mission over Afghanistan. I can only handle about an hour of flight sim. I use flight sim mostly for real-world instrument practice.

Pro Member First Officer
Charlie10 First Officer

BFA - DIA - 76CN - JNU - PBA - FAI - Whitehorse BC - MOT -BFA

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

I believe my longest flight simming, as far as I know, must be from Los Angeles to Seattle in a Boeing 737. I studied biology for school next to my flightsim while the autopilot did the flying. That was somewhere in March, 2006 when I'm still getting to know fs2004. I crashed a couple times landing in Seattle so then I used time compression to save time I think.

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

mine, as of last night, was sydney in aussieland to san francisco. a fulll 20 hours with no time compression. listened to music and played on my laptop, and slept to pass time.

Pro Member First Officer
Dan Young (dannyboy2005) First Officer

Mine was Manchester -> San Fransico. Boeing 747

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

KSFO...ah, that ILS for 28R over the water is just magnificent isn't it?

Pro Member First Officer
CaptDennison First Officer

Heathrow to kennedy--do it all the time--in a Concorde!

I once did Phoenix to Rome...Way too long in real time

I fly a lot always real time, unless I am flying over 100 miles in conventional (NON MACH) A/C--then I usually fly real weather updates and speed my time to about 4x , from the point i reach cruise till about 150 miles out--then back to real time.

Pro Member First Officer
Dan Young (dannyboy2005) First Officer

CaptDennison 😳

Nice to see you in the Forums, and not writing stupid comments here i see!

wombat457 Guest

Just thought I'd throw my real time sim flight into the fray. I have done Sydney (Aust) to LAX in real time sim flight - 15.5 hours in a 747-400 obviously. I have done the real flight more times than I care to think about too - flying it with the sim isnt much better 🙂

Wombat457

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

that's a long flight. I know I've done new zealand to las vegas. I was more excited to see the california coast (passed over LAX on the way) than i was to actually see LAS, just because the runway I used doesn't have an ILS. therefore, I did my first manula landing with the PMDG 747 freighter...hehe it was easy 😂

Pro Member First Officer
wombat457 First Officer

Have to admit, I was happier once I saw the US coast appear on the horizon than I was with the actual flight. I too do manual landings - only way to fly really!

I have now just created my own Airline so am in the process of planning a round Australia trip in real time starting out in Darwin and only going to the capitals along the way. Dwn - Bne is about 4.5 hours and then Adl - Dwn is another 4.5 - 5 hours. Not that long but shopuld be interesting.

mine would be from New York to Heatrow in a KLM PMDG 747.
Didn't sleep, only listened to music and ATC.

Did that flight just one time.

Do fly a lot of Amsterdam, the Neteherlands to Londen Heatrow
in my KLM Level-D 767.

God, I love FS 2004

greetings

Pro Member Trainee
skyth Trainee

hi im new so i havent done a bit flght anyware i only found out to day i can get my auto pilot to flow the course so thats what im like lol

i did a east midlands to venice all manual with no autopilot took about 3 and a half hours so not huge but reasonable

Jamie4590 Guest

Cruising in Concorde is like applying time compression! 😂

Just did Miami, FL, to Princess Juliana, St. Mateen, in real time with a DC10-30. ATC actually brought me in over the hill for an approach to runway 27! Pretty hairy but I managed to pull it off with only a slightly rough touchdown.

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

I'm stargin the good ol sfo to heathrow route tonight at five pacific. that'll take a while

pilatflyr wrote:

I'm stargin the good ol sfo to heathrow route tonight at five pacific. that'll take a while

Yikes! 😳

Better find something to do to pass the time! Yawn Umm... Juggle Ass Sleep

Have a nice flight! 🍻

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

pilatflyr wrote:

Try listening to music from the internet or somewhere else as your in-flight music to pass the time. 😎

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

I just did an 800nm flight from Tokyo to Naha, Japan in my Just Flight Flyable All Nippon Airbus A320.

It took me around 2hrs to do it and my IFR plan was cancelled at least twice because I was eating lunch and watching TV at the time so I had to reset my IFR plan again.

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

My longest flight was Las Vegas to Seatle Tacoma in an A380 (just for the fun of it!) and I got bored quite soon after being airborne.

Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

iv only done o`hare to claifornia lax

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

Just did another flight from Newark to Vancouver. I flew in Just Flight's Flyable Continental Airlines Boeing 767-300.

I flew with real-world weather with 15 min. updates to see if I noticed any tailwind/headwind. I still could not tell!

I departed 9:30 A.M. EDT in my simulator and in real life, and got to Vancouver at 10:20 A.M. PDT (1:20 A.M. EDT) in my simulator. However, do to several pausings during my flight, I got to Vancouver between 3:45 and 4 P.M. EDT real life.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Even though this post started in fs2004 😳. Mine was LHR-HKG-SYD (london heathrow-hong kong kai tak- sydney) 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Bartfs First Officer

EHAM - LGIR Embarassed (1330 miles)

most of the times i use X8-X16 😛

Pro Member First Officer
Vanya First Officer

I only managed it once, when both my parents were out all night....

Moscow, Russia (UUEE) ==> Berlin, Germany (EDDT) ==> London, England (EGLL) ==> Los Angeles, United States (KLAX). I used the PMDG 747-400 for all three legs.

I don't know how many times I watched Mythbusters in that time.... 🙄

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

Longest I've done so far is Paris to Newark on VATSIM 7-8 hours

Pro Member Trainee
burton Trainee

Honolulu, Hawaii, to Los Angeles, California, to Orlando, Florida, to New York, New York.

Did it with the PMDG 747.

Pro Member Trainee
Paul (W5PDA) Trainee

I'd have to say it was FACT-KDFW, but it was a planned "tagteam" effort between three people due to medical problems. (We do this once in a while lol)