Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Cloud Shadows Question

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

In my quest to obtain the ultimate flight with the most realistic effects possible, when flying, I noted that when flying in Spot view though layers of dense clouds, the plane never disappears in them OR when on a wing view in the plane, you never see cloud shadows from clouds on the wing surface itself or wing fog from the clouds. My question is will FSX do this? Has anybody experienced this?

Jetman Shocked

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You can enable shadows but I don't know if it will work on that.
Clouds and shadows use a great deal of the resources of your machine (card) so it will slow up your FPS.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

I figure it would take a lot of resources to do it but with DX10 coming out soon, I think that would be a good feature to have. But to have the clouds race in front of the plane during Spot mode, would be nice.

Jetman

Pro Member Trainee
PhilTaylor Trainee

jetman35 wrote:

I figure it would take a lot of resources to do it but with DX10 coming out soon, I think that would be a good feature to have. But to have the clouds race in front of the plane during Spot mode, would be nice.

Jetman

There are no cloud shadows in FSX today.

This is not a feature we are planning for FSX-SP2(DX10).

People are mistaken that cloud shadows are in the "magic screenies". They are taking one area of darkness in the far terrain in the Glacier Lake shot, which could be a terrain shadow, and extrapolating. There are no cloud shadows on the water or in the near terrain which there would be if there were actually cloud shadows in those artistic impressions.

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

Thanks Phil for the information. It makes sense to me now.
It would however, be a VERY cool effect.

Jetman

Pro Member Trainee
PhilTaylor Trainee

jetman35 wrote:

Thanks Phil for the information. It makes sense to me now.
It would however, be a VERY cool effect.

Jetman

I completely agree it would be cool but we arent going to get to that this time around.