Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Operation Bolero

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Operation Bolero was the code name for ferry flights of US aircraft to Europe as part of Americas involvement in World War II.
The general route was to start from Goose Bay in Labrador and end in Stornaway in Scotland from where the would disperse to their operational bases in Mid or South England.
Bolero started in 1942 and would see a total of nearly 10,000 aircraft fly this route to Europe.
Bombers would depart with 3 min intervals and would have radio contact but very little visual contact during their flights (but i'm going to endevour to try and change that Very Happy ).
The P-38s would (because of their lack of navigational equipment) fly in groups of four and would have a single B-17 as a pathfinder.
This is leg 1 from Goose Bay to Kangerlussuaq (BGSF) in Greenland.
Waiting for signal to start engines

Engine start

Begin taxi

Waiting in line

Follow the B-17

Leaving the airfield behind

Trying to formate

Oops too much power

It was at this point that my P-38 decided that the only way it wanted to fly was straight up and it took me a while to sort it out, by which time i'd lost the formation and was never to find them again so had to carry on alone.
Approching Greenland

Overflying the airfield and no sign of them (i must've overtaken them somewhere along the route Confused )

So make a fighter break and bring her in

After landing i'll just wait and see if they turn up

And sure enough they did Very Happy

For the next leg i'll have to make sure my aircraft is servicable and stick with the formation.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Bout time we got another great flight story from ya Welsh! That is so cool... I did not know you can fly with a formation in this game? I figured all AI was independent of each other. This opens up possibilities....

Awesome pix and story as always!

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Great post Welsh! Awesome shots and a real life story. Great job! Very Happy

Pro Member Trainee
AO001 Trainee

hey Welsh, where do you get your AI and airfield sceneries at? Here? I've been doing the Viet Nam era recently, found many of the airbases and planes here at FlyAway...but thinking of going more vintage and moving into the WWII era and start trying to recreate some of my GrandFather's flights in the S. Pacific. Oh, and of coarse...Great Shots and Story, as always!

Last edited by AO001 on Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
bawls327 Chief Captain

PERFECT!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

EXCELLENT WORK WELSHFLYER Very Happy . i like wwII stories, haven't heard one in a while. keep it up Punk Thumbs Up!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks for your kind replies all Very Happy the AI aircraft in this are not really AI, you have to have Wings of Power installed as it uses those aircraft, that's why the scenery looks a bit "iffy" using all those flyable addons, my graphics card was screaming for a rest Very Happy ! The actual programme is bolero1.zip at Flightsim.com and it took ages to downloaded everything needed for it!
Hopefully it will be worth it over the next (and last) 3 legs! Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

wings of power is a great addon. absolutely love the quality of the planes and the missions. when r u gonna do the next one. keep it up Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Cheeks wrote:

wings of power is a great addon. absolutely love the quality of the planes and the missions. when r u gonna do the next one. keep it up Wink

Thanks Cheeks hopefully it won't be too long and i agree the WOP is a great addon

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

AO001 wrote:

hey Welsh, where do you get your AI and airfield sceneries at? Here? I've been doing the Viet Nam era recently, found many of the airbases and planes here at FlyAway...but thinking of going more vintage and moving into the WWII era and start trying to recreate some of my GrandFather's flights in the S. Pacific. Oh, and of coarse...Great Shots and Story, as always!

Most of them i come across by accident, this one i found just by typing B-17 into the search at Flightsim and going through everything that came up, i found some nice bases too that were recommended to go with it that hopefully we'll see later! Very Happy
If i remember correctly there were some good scenery addons for the South Pacific at Simviation, i'd really like to see those recreations as i enjoyed your post about his civil flying elsewhere Very Happy ! I'll try and find them and let you know.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Beautiful screen shots Welshflyer and a interesting story line that I've never heard before. Clapping
Arrow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Bolero

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thank you CRJCapt for your kind comment and the info, there's some very interesting reading there Very Happy .
The next leg would take us to Rekjavik in Iceland and again things did'nt go as planned Sad , as after takeoff the other aircraft disappeared into the distance and i just could'nt catch up with them so i'm afraid i've mainly got pretty pictures of a lone B-17.
Waiting to go

Taxi

As we taxi another B-17 begins its takeoff roll

Approaching the runway

On the way

The last time i would see another B-17

Descending into Rekjavik

Nice view

Turning in

And relax Smile

As the next flight to Scotland is pretty much the same i won't post any shots but the last flight will be from Scotland to the operational bases and hopefully i'll get some decent formation shots then (fingers crossed).

Pro Member Chief Captain

Oh man is that one sweeeeet bird there! However I think they stuck you with the bum one if you could not catch up to them... either that or they had some nitro going in theirs!

Once again awesome flight. I am constantly amazed at how much clearer your pix are to mine. WOW.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Group Wave Clapping Clapping Group Wave

Keep it up Welshflyer Thumbs Up!

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Great shots Welsh. B-17 is an amazing piece of machinery and beauty. I'm keeping my fingers crossed too for the formation pics. Great job! Very Happy

P.S. Belgeode, your shots are just as clear as Wlsh's are. Both of you are masters in doing it! Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Well, some you win and some you lose Sad , i've been trying all week to get a decent formation shot but there seems to be a few things wrong with the programme! For a start when flying from Stornaway i'm supposed to be joined by a group of B-17's over Carslisle from Prestwick but they did'nt appear so after trying a few times i started there and wondered what would happen, the B-17s and P-38s were there (well, some of them) and when the time came for them to depart i waited..and i waited...and, i waited but they just sat there Sad . Also the read me mentions about downloading the Traffictoolbox.exe and start slewing AI aircraft about Shocked , i've never slewed in my life and i dont intend to start slewing now Very Happy !
So i'm left with a few shots i managed to get en-route from Stornaway and Prestwick and a few of some B-17s at Bassingbourne. So no big formation shot i'm afraid gents, sorry about that Sad .

Bit of a damp squib of an ending but that seems to be my style lately! Confused
P.S Belgeode your shots are superb Very Happy .

Pro Member Chief Captain

I beg to differ... squib or no squib I love these pix.

Ok so there is no big formation shots... these planes are CLASSICS... you could be flying solo and it is still a big deal... awesome work as always Welsh!

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Welsh, these are great shots. As Belgeode said formation or no formation these are legendary aircraft and look beautiful whether they fly alone or not. ! Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain

You know that gives me an idea... I wonder if anyone is making nose art repaints... like the old pinup girls and all that?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks for the comments gents Very Happy !

Pro Member Captain
Steve (SpiderWings) Captain

Those are awesome Welsh. Glad to see more of your outstanding work. I love the B-17 and the P-38 so this is a great treat for the eyes!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

SpiderWings wrote:

Those are awesome Welsh. Glad to see more of your outstanding work. I love the B-17 and the P-38 so this is a great treat for the eyes!

Thanks Spider! Looking forward to the Shuttle shots! Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

speechless Shocked. Keep the awesome, excellent, superb (exaggerating as much as possible Laughing ) work up Wink
Bravo Welshflyer Group Wave

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks cheeks! Smile