Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

a question for real IFR pilot

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

In MS I always fly vector to ILS. It seems to me a default procedure for ILS landing. I know pilots fly IAP all the time. But how much percentage of your IFR landings are vectored, and what percentage is IAP. In what circumstances you fly vector and what you fly IAP? Thanks.....

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Normally real aircraft are vectored to the ILS whenever radar service is available, that's 90% of the time (98% for commercial jets airports). The full approach (what you called the IAP) would be accomplished in areas that don't have ATC radar coverage at the initial altitude of the approach. This could be because of distance from the nearest antenna, terrain or hours of operation of the radar facility or tower in the area. All instrument rated pilots are taught how to fly an instrument approach without ATC help.

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

If you fly 98% vector approach then can you still maintain your IAP skills?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

nottobe wrote:

If you fly 98% vector approach then can you still maintain your IAP skills?

It can be hard to maintain unless they still fly small aircraft regularly. You can still do it but you get out of practice. Many airline pilots would have a hard time flying a Cessna 172 IFR single pilot. Full procedures, DME arcs, procedure turns are just not the normal way they operate. Even pilot controlled lighting has caught some flight crews by surprise.