SearchSearch 

Help with FS9 crashing?

Pro Member Trainee
JLaw Trainee

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I didn't see the same problem in the last 10 pages of text. Please forgive me if I missed it.

The last week FS9 will crash and shut down a few minutes into a flight, between three and five minutes to be exact. It will shut down FS9 and restart the computer.

I'm running a box-stock E-Machines computer, a few years old, I forget the important data but I have run FS9 with no problems in the past. Only add-ons are a CH Products yoke and rudder and Just Flight Flying Club software.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing FS9 and Just Flight with no luck. I'm off to make sure that my FS9 and Windows have all the latest updates, but if they are current any ideas on what the problem may be?

Please keep it simple if possible, I don't know too much about computers.

Thanks to all for a great forum, I'm much more of a reader than a poster.

JLaw

8 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The chances are that the computer needs cleaning.
It overheats and crashes because the fans and heatsink are full of dust.
Clean it all out...carefully.

If you can add a fan (blow out) to get rid of the hot air that would be great.
Put it on the back grid of the case and just hook it to one of the extra plugs coming off the power supply. ($20)
Also if you've added and hardware lately that could be taxing a weak power supple to the point of crashing the Sim.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
JLaw Trainee

Hmmm, okay. I would never have thought about that. All updates are current so I'll dig into the cleaning shortly. No hardware has been added, new fan is probably a good idea anyway.

Thanks, I'll update if needed.

JLaw

Pro Member Trainee
JLaw Trainee

WOW! I think cleaning it did the trick, so far so good on a short hop.

The heat sink and fan on the motherboard were completely caked with dirt, the cooling fan at the back of the computer was extremely dirty also. All clean now, though.

Thanks for the advice, RadarMan, you probably just saved my computer too!

JLaw

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

I been having an issue similar too... I have yet to figure out what the problem is.

Every now and then I will be in the middle of a flight and boom... it will send the computer into standby mode and nothing is responsive... on rare occasions it will totally reboot my computer.

Tried everything. Nothing works... but it does not happen very frequently lately.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

JLaw, glad it helped. The Sim is very graphic intensive and quickly overheats a machine.
Think about that fan, get a good one.

belgeode, I wish we could come up with some other ideas but we ran the gamut before with the rare exception of a virus or a bad or no-name power supply.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

Well Radar... next thing I have done is updated windows to XP (I was using 2000) we will see if that has an effect.

My next task is to redo the profile for my Saitek X52... seems i lost that in the shuffle.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I assumed (wrong to do) that you were running XP Home.
It's a better gaming platform and a clean install is the way to go.
I hope this solves all the problems.
Keep us up to date.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

will do... and the version i installed is xp pro it says.