Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Anti-Aliasing and MI Mapping

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Hi,

Could someone tell me what "Anti Aliasing" and "MI Mapping" are ?

I'm of course referring to the SETTINGS on the above, within FS.... I've tried toggling between ON and OFF on both of the above to see if I notice a difference and also to see the effect on Frame Rates. Not noticed any huge difference but would love to hear from one of the "Tecchies" on what these two settings are about !

Pro Member Trainee
Voo Trainee

Mip mapping i can't remeber at the moment, i think its the blending of textures (could be wrong there)

AA (anti-Alias) is a smoothing system that gets rid of thouse rough edges you see, so curves and that look alot less jaggy Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Voo is right on both. Set your AA on 4 and leave the mip-map on default, I think it's 4 or 5. Don't check the AA in the sim just do it with your video cards control panel.

Radar

Pro Member Captain

Cheers Y'all !

Pro Member Trainee
Voo Trainee

hehe wow i got something right Wink

but yeah the more AA / Mip Mappin and AF you have the more performance hit on your G/card your going to get, tbh i rarely use AA/AF

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Voo, with the card you have, you should be able to drive the AA up! I've got mine at 8x, while the Ansiotropic Filtering is at 16x, and i don't see a drop below 27 unless i'm at O'haire. also, do NOT turn on ANY filtering, or AA for the sim, do it all in your video card.

Pro Member Captain

This is useful for me as I've never been into the settings for my Video Card (it's a good Video Card, same as Radar Man's)..... Are these settings acccessed from the CONTROL PANEL in Windows guys ?

I had AA and MIP set quite high and have noticed that they were adversely affecting frame rates..... Have took them off now but noticed hte "jagged" edges next to the beach at Newcastle !

So will have to set my Video Card up correctly tonight as per the advice you've given!

Pro Member Trainee
Voo Trainee

Well i'm playing FS2004 in 1280x1024 with everything up super high, but with Ultimate traffic add on and visiting heathrow pro (UK2000 scenery) my frames drop to 12fps :p

I should put AA and AF on since i have got a nice card.

If anyones intested heres the main stuff in my Rig.

AMD64 3500 (sck 939)
1gb PC3200 Ram
Nvidia 6800 GT
SB Audigy 2 ZS 7.1

and my crown to this rig, Mitsubishi 21" Diamond Plus 230SB Smile

Pro Member Captain

That's one heck of a set-up!

Pro Member Trainee
Voo Trainee

hehe its all set for the next 2-3years Smile it'll run Half-Life 2, Battlefield 2 etc great Smile so i'm happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The-GPS-Kid,
Right click on the desktop and bring up a window "Display Properties".
Click on "Properties".
Click on "Settings" Tab.
Click on "Advanced" button.
Click on "3D Tab".
There is the ATI control panel.
Click on "custom button"
Don't check AA in the sim settings and I have Mip Map on 5.
I have it set for 4xAA and 16xAF, a check in Temporal Settings, none in the other two boxes, click "Apply" and see how you like it.

Radar

Pro Member Captain

Thanks RadarMan - I found it last night and set it up - great improvement and doesn't seem to have effected Frame Rates.

Another good result!

PS... RM, I'm about to put a posting on about the MAAM DC-3... oh my word, it is the best add-on I have ever seen... just stunning amount of detail.... I'm no Tail-Dragger but I would still have to say this add-on blows anything away... it's out of this world! More to follow....