Fly Away Simulation

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Any SIDSTARS WITHOUT PMDG, Level-D, or any other payware?

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

I've been thinking, that I want to practice real SIDs and STARs in my flightsim. When I went to avsim, I download PMDG's SIDSTARS but I think I need PMDG aircraft to use it, which is payware that I don't have.

Is there any SIDSTARS without PMDG or any other payware?

Love the Airbus A380. It's huge!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

This OK.

(dead link removed)

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

I found that both sites have PMDG and Level-D. Both of them I don't have and I think I need to pay for the aircraft addon to use it.

Is there a terminal procedure for DEFAULT AIRCRAFT because I don't have payware aircraft, except Perfect Flight Fly the Airbus A380.

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

Wait, do I need PMDG aircraft to use its SIDSTARS or can I use the default aircraft to use it? If it's true that I need PMDG, is there any SIDSTARS that uses default aircraft?

Help!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

KevinTsai wrote:

Wait, do I need PMDG aircraft to use its SIDSTARS or can I use the default aircraft to use it? If it's true that I need PMDG, is there any SIDSTARS that uses default aircraft?

First letís get what we are talking about straight. Many people are in awe of SIDS and STARS but they are no big deal. A SID or a STAR is only routing that ATC would like you to follow because of traffic and or obstructions, many airports don't even have them. Some airports on have them when departing or arriving from a particular direction. You can fly most SIDS and STARS with just the default Cessna 172. SIDS and STARS are just instructions written, most times with a map. Aircraft that have a FMS/FMC can be programmed with the fixes of the SID/STAR but you don't have to have a FMC/FMS to fly a SID/STAR.

Sample SID: Turn right to 060, intercept the AZC 002 radial to jabbe intersection.

Sample STAR: After AZC VOR, proceed via the 090 radial to kabbe intersection. Cross kabbe at or below 12000/210 kts. Expect radar vectors to final.

All you need to fly most SIDS or STARS in VOR/DME equipment. Some SIDS and STARS are written for FMC/FMS only but most don't require it.

You won't be able to load a SID or a STAR into the default aircraft because they don't have a FMC/FMS. Only payware and a few free aircraft have FMC/FMS. When you see SIDS or STARS for download, that is a database for a particular product such as PMDG so that the SID or STAR will show up in the FMC/FMS database for easy section during programing. The downloads are specific to the type of FMS/FMC.

Pro Member Trainee
renesis Trainee

CRJCapt is absolutely correct.

SID's (or DP's as they are now called) and STARS are, as has been mentioned, routings from or to a runway or given point.

Payware such as PMDG and Level-D use on board computers to manage and automate navigation including SID's and STARS.

However, you don't need these in order to fly a procedure - all you need is a description of it - basically a chart and of course VOR/DME/ADF equipment as required.

Now we're on a different subject - that of approach charts and such like. There is software that you can buy such as SimCharts which use Jeppesen. I personally use a program called Jeppview.

http://www.navdata.at/ provide charts provided you purchase sufficient credits.

www.ais.org.uk , which requires registration (free I think!) is a planning and reference resource for UK pilots and provides access to the AIP - which contains IFR charting for various airports in the UK.