Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Newark to Zurich

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

Guys, I made a flight from Newark to Zurich yesterday. This flight was an important flight for 2 reasons:

First, this was the first time I ever used a trijet in my flightsim. I used Just Flight's Flyable MD-11. The only downside to this is that it uses the default 737 panel. Eventually, I found a fairly decent MD-11 panel with 3 engines in the EICAS. But when I installed the panel, it has 2 engines in the EICAS that look like the EICAS of a default 777. Plus, there were other controls that didn't appear like in the screenshot for some reason.

Second, this was also the first time I included a SID and a STAR in my flight, along with some waypoints and air routes. The planning took way longer than I thought. I print out SID and STAR charts and also a flight route from one of the links on this website. I tried to create the plan as accurate as possible. When it was ready, I forgot to put it on IFR so I had to replan my flightplan again (which made me so upset after 2-3 hours of intense planning). This time, I didn't have enough time so I tried putting fewer waypoints this time.

I used the MERIT Departure and the BASLE-MULHOUSE ONE GOLF Arrival.

Again, sorry for my very long explanation. I know that you must be tired by now reading this.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

How'd the MERIT departure go, not too much traffic I hope... Did you do what me and the captain suggested?

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

Yea I think so. I used the 4R ILS after takeoff, head 60 degrees, then turn left to 290. Soon, I head back east for the LGA VOR and contacted departure. When I passed it, it took me a little while to get back on track to head to the MERIT intersection. Traffic was 30% so I didn't see a lot of aircraft.

Here's the map of the STAR that I used.

During descent, I tried to get down to a 7,000 at the GLOKE intersection via ARPUS intersection (that's when I started descent), BLM VOR, and ZH675 intersection(was supposed to use ZH677 and GIPOL but ZH677 and GIPOL wasn't in FS so I used the one closest to them), but I descended too quickly with at least 20 degrees pitch down attitude at one point! It was nighttime around when I descended so I couldn't see the ground.

I crossed ZH675 (ZH677 in the map) at around 9,000 but wasn't supposed to go below 12,000. I had spoilers up and thought I was gonna crash. I skipped the holding at GLOKE (GIPOL in the map) and contacted approach to the ILS 16.

I left Newark at 7 A.M. and arrived in Zurich at 8 P.M.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Cool! sounds like it was a great flight there... did you get pix?

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

No, sorry. I was thinking about it though and I was even planning to. But because I started my flight too late at around 9-9:30 P.M. instead of somewhere in the afternoon, I didn't bother to. However, I'm posting pics of the new Newark Airport scenery that comes with an AFCAD that I downloaded from AVSIM. I downloaded it and installed it before I flew to Zurich. The Newark scenery pics should be up very soon.

And oh, I finished my flight around midnight (I used time compression again).

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

KevinTsai wrote:

No, sorry. I was thinking about it though and I was even planning to. But because I started my flight too late at around 9-9:30 P.M. instead of somewhere in the afternoon, I didn't bother to. However, I'm posting pics of the new Newark Airport scenery that comes with an AFCAD that I downloaded from AVSIM. I downloaded it and installed it before I flew to Zurich. The Newark scenery pics should be up very soon.

And oh, I finished my flight around midnight (I used time compression again).

Nice Cool