Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Clarification of Acceleration

Pro Member First Officer
Tom (cthiggin) First Officer

Hello fellow simmers,
Like duh, stupido here...........

Upcoming Acceleration is a "quote" add-on module for FSX SP1 -????
I DO understand DX10 in Acceleration and the upcoming SP2 DX10...................

IF I am correct that Acceleration IS an add-on, what the heck is it going to do to our hours and hours of working through and getting a very workable FSX.Config file????????????????? Most of you remember what we've had to do to "tweak" the config file.................................

DO you think we will "have" to start all over or will the existing config be usable, AS-IS???????

Just some thoughts that hit me like a brick................maybe why I'm asking a "stupido" question.............

Give my your advice and thoughts.............

Thanks fellows,
cthiggin

3 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

wow, a pretty interesting question! i don't know alot about programming or altering the cfg. but it sounds like a reasonable question.
and if it is, it would seem to be a weighty concern to those who have spent alot of time modifying their config. i have'nt because my box is so low-end it's not really worth doing, and i am getting results i find temporarily acceptable from sp-1. (untill i can upgrade the box) if it was me i would copy it and save it somewhere else just in case. i have a suspicion that acceleration, will run as an add-on sorta the way some aftermarket ones do -
by that i mean that while it wouldn't run without fsx, it would run separately without affecting your current set-up, with one exception. because of the nature of some of the missions and enhanced features that have been rumored, i would expect, in certain cases, to see a mild performance drop.

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

It's a good idea to .bak the config file in any case, even when not installing or changing something. FSX doesn't "restore".

Phil (the lead FSX gramer) says a performance boost for acceleration or SP-2 on DX9 and even more if you can run vista DX10.

I'm interested in seeing how FSX DX9 graphics (terrain an planes) look different running on DX10, not much I think.

Pro Member First Officer
Tom (cthiggin) First Officer

Well, at least I'm ready for DX10 -
Phil tells it "like it is" - and hopefully the fps will increase some - BUT, I think fps's are so subjective with so many variables based on the "users" settings in fsx.cfg, sliders, AND especially the types of hardware being utilized. - I KNOW in my case, after building a very hi-end pc, I STILL had to tweak the fsx.cfg, nVidia setup, and overclock to get the high fps's I was after.................................................AND, finally, I'm NOT saying you MUST overclock to be happy.............................you MUST know what you're doing or REAL trouble can happen fast......................this is what "I" had to do, with lots of help.
I don't want to be premature or negative, BUT, I just cringe to think I'll/we will have to reinvent the wheel...........................
I'm looking forward to DX10, whether good/bad since I've spent the big dollars on hardware.....................................Will just have to wait and see............................................
I "do" feel we'll see lots of new threats appear..................................

Thanks for your thoughts...............

cthiggin