Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Which "Traffic" Programs are Choice on this site.

Pro Member First Officer
Tom (cthiggin) First Officer

Hello fellow simmers.
Remember reading threads about Payware ??AI Traffic or Ultimate Traffic - I know they're several..........but there was one that would really not start to show up until several minutes later...............

What do you folks us and prefer..........and how about FPS hits.

Your help is always appreciated.

cthiggin

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I had UT for FS9 and it was extremely easy to install and control.
You will always take FPS hit with any AI it just depends on your machine and how high you set the AI.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

If you are looking for freeware, World of AI is good or as I do, make AI yourself 😉

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks for your quick replies fellows -
IS the UT the one that takes about 20 minutes to start working or is there another one, payware, that demonstrates this behavior?????
Again, remember reading here on threads, but can't remember which one it was.
Thanks again,
cthiggin

Pro Member First Officer

FINALLY found it - My Traffic X IS the one that takes so long to operate.......you folks have any feedback on this one??
Thanks,
cthiggin

Pro Member Trainee
Ian Macdonald-Munro (Lionman) Trainee

I am a realism freak with an obsession with rendering actuality in virtuality as closely as possible and being retired have the time to give to the hobby of virtual flying. I run FSX with all sliders maxed out on a rig with an nVidia 8800 GTX, X--Fi Fatality Platinum 7.1, quad-core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM and 1 TB HD and also use Track IR 4 Pro with HOTAS Cougar controllers - so I am an ideal target consumer for state-of-the-art FSX add-ons.

However the only commercial AI traffic software out there to emulate the real world traffic 100% in FSX seems to be AirNav System's - "FS Live Traffic X".

This has two major problems. Price - as it has to be re-licensed every 6 moths for a whopping $59 US - which makes it by far the most expensive add-on software apart from global photo scenery currently available for FSX.

Its second problem is coverage, as with typical American hubris the FSX version only covers the USA! If its coverage was global as the FS9 2004 version used to be, in real time, updated like FS9 and FSX weather I could (just) swallow the silly price if I had to. But it doesn't. I think this is in part because Air Nav's main product consumers are those in the world of real commercial aviation and so their involvement in our realm may be as yet really just a side line.

There is another issue. The live scheduled flights FS Live Traffic X downloads remain fixed as they were at the moment of download, so they don't reflect subsequent delays and re-scheduling in the real world unless you come out of FSX and regenerate the whole dynamic traffic volume all over again.

So I shall probably go for Ultimate Traffic FSX which I used before with FS9 2004 - - mainly because it is easy to install & use, simulates real world schedules quite well and also gives you a constantly updated "pseudo-live" destinations and arrivals board at every major airport, complete with audible public address announcements, which I find most immersive and realistic.

Regarding "realism" by far my greatest criticism of the "world" of FSX is that it remains FAR TOO CLEAN AND UNWORN. Any real aerial photograph of a major airport will show heavy black rubber streak staining on all runway landing areas and many taxi way junctions - yet in FSX everything always looks so virginal and bland. I also loathe generic scenery tiles as that simply means NOTHING below you is really true to life outside the airports. Hopefully they will eventually come to some arrangement with Google Earth or emulate that product using the same licensed satellite imagery to make the ground detail REALISTIC for VFR. Then as with Google Earth those seeking higher ground detail definition and with the equipment to display it could simply pay an annual subscription for a higher level of detail in their satellite downloaded mapping.

I also fly combat sims and the same applies even more so to the landscape and ground detail in IL2 1946, F4 Allied Force, LOMAC et al. Everything is always bland, uniform, clean, uniformly coloured and pretty unrealistic. It probably sounds geeky but this ruins the immersion for me at low altitudes.

Some sim designers say "the ground doesn't matter" as much in an air Simulator but every single flight begins and ends on the ground and that is where the immersion has to be high.

I would be interested to hear the experiences and preferences of other Forum members with AI Traffic software for FSX.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Lionman wrote:

I am a realism freak with an obsession with rendering actuality in virtuality as closely as possible and being retired have the time to give to the hobby of virtual flying. I run FSX with all sliders maxed out on a rig with an nVidia 8800 GTX, X--Fi Fatality Platinum 7.1, quad-core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM and 1 TB HD and also use Track IR 4 Pro with HOTAS Cougar controllers - so I am an ideal target consumer for state-of-the-art FSX add-ons.

However the only commercial AI traffic software out there to emulate the real world traffic 100% in FSX seems to be AirNav System's - "FS Live Traffic X".

This has two major problems. Price - as it has to be re-licensed every 6 moths for a whopping $59 US - which makes it by far the most expensive add-on software apart from global photo scenery currently available for FSX.

Its second problem is coverage, as with typical American hubris the FSX version only covers the USA! If its coverage was global as the FS9 2004 version used to be, in real time, updated like FS9 and FSX weather I could (just) swallow the silly price if I had to. But it doesn't. I think this is in part because Air Nav's main product consumers are those in the world of real commercial aviation and so their involvement in our realm may be as yet really just a side line.

There is another issue. The live scheduled flights FS Live Traffic X downloads remain fixed as they were at the moment of download, so they don't reflect subsequent delays and re-scheduling in the real world unless you come out of FSX and regenerate the whole dynamic traffic volume all over again.

So I shall probably go for Ultimate Traffic FSX which I used before with FS9 2004 - - mainly because it is easy to install & use, simulates real world schedules quite well and also gives you a constantly updated "pseudo-live" destinations and arrivals board at every major airport, complete with audible public address announcements, which I find most immersive and realistic.

Regarding "realism" by far my greatest criticism of the "world" of FSX is that it remains FAR TOO CLEAN AND UNWORN. Any real aerial photograph of a major airport will show heavy black rubber streak staining on all runway landing areas and many taxi way junctions - yet in FSX everything always looks so virginal and bland. I also loathe generic scenery tiles as that simply means NOTHING below you is really true to life outside the airports. Hopefully they will eventually come to some arrangement with Google Earth or emulate that product using the same licensed satellite imagery to make the ground detail REALISTIC for VFR. Then as with Google Earth those seeking higher ground detail definition and with the equipment to display it could simply pay an annual subscription for a higher level of detail in their satellite downloaded mapping.

I also fly combat sims and the same applies even more so to the landscape and ground detail in IL2 1946, F4 Allied Force, LOMAC et al. Everything is always bland, uniform, clean, uniformly coloured and pretty unrealistic. It probably sounds geeky but this ruins the immersion for me at low altitudes.

Some sim designers say "the ground doesn't matter" as much in an air Simulator but every single flight begins and ends on the ground and that is where the immersion has to be high.

I would be interested to hear the experiences and preferences of other Forum members with AI Traffic software for FSX.

Lionman,
Before you engage in the usual sport of America bashing maybe you should get at least one fact straight...or would that spoil the fun.

https://www.simshack.net/products/traffic-360-ai-traffic-fsx-prepar3d-688

3.850.000+ weekly AI Flights - MyTraffic 2006 includes over 3,850,000 (yes, that's correct - more than three million) AI flights between 8,100 airports in all regions of the world. These flights include international, national, regional, commuter, general aviation, cargo, amphibian airlines, military and touch and go circuits.

Flights are generated based on real world data and on a realistic model - All traffic is generated based on real-life traffic patterns. You will see airlines at airports and hubs which are consistent with their real-world operations. MyTraffic X also includes a set of long range flights based on published airline schedules giving you a high level of realism without the boring uniformity of products that restrict themselves solely to published schedules.

8,100+ Airports bustling with AI Traffic - MyTraffic X flies AI Traffic between more than 8,100 airports in all corners of the world. All aircraft behave realistically during different phases of their flight. Parking positions are also assigned in an accurate manner. For example, airliners will taxi to their gates, cargo aircraft will park at cargo positions situated near the respective airport cargo facilities. AI Traffic will behave in the same way even at add-on sceneries, provided that they are fully FSX compatible.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

RM,

You also forgot to tell him about to other add-ons; X-Graphics and Active Sky X; and these are just hold overs for that new add-on, Real Enviroment Extreme. These add-ons can give you the option to give airports a worn down, or used look. Frankly, If you are looking for realism, your rig is not even remotely close!!!! Most hard core simmers are using FSX with multiple monitors, even for flight gauges.

If you are looking for more "realisim", I think you need to start on your rig.

Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

GundamWZero wrote:

RM,

You also forgot to tell him about to other add-ons; X-Graphics and Active Sky X; and these are just hold overs for that new add-on, Real Enviroment Extreme. These add-ons can give you the option to give airports a worn down, or used look. Frankly, If you are looking for realism, your rig is not even remotely close!!!! Most hard core simmers are using FSX with multiple monitors, even for flight gauges.

If you are looking for more "realisim", I think you need to start on your rig.

I tried that live traffic for awhile. It worked but it wasn't worth the price. It doesn't add any more realism than UTX (which I'm using now.) I mean yeah live traffic takes real world data but not every flight and airline is there. Some airlines opt out of consumer level live tracking. And even if EVERY airline was there with every livery, FSX still is going to do what it does with its traffic -meaning very basic and generic traffic patterns and ATC instructions. Also if every flight was on there your computer would grind to a halt as there is no way todays computers can simulate the real life traffic level at busy airports.

In conclusion, I'm happy with Ultimate Traffic X. I usually only run traffic at about 35%. That seems enough to give the flavor of other traffic in the area without handcuffing the CPU. UTX has a lot more liveries than Live Traffic. Also UTX doesn't have the delay factor that people talk about with MyTraffic - although I have never used my traffic so..FWIW.