Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Landing a 767

Pro Member Trainee
hammerdag Trainee

I know this is real general, but I'm desperate for help with this matter. I spend most of my time with FS9 in a 737-800 and 320. I have no trouble landing these jets. When I try flying the 767 I crash on landings everytime. Sometimes I will be at about 2000 feet and just drop out of the sky like a rock 🙄

I know this is general and I know the importantance of practice but what would you guys recommend for touch down speed and final flare...I'm doing something very wrong here..I know this jet is huge but when at low altitudes and final approach is there anyting to keep in mind that is incredibly different from the 737 and 320...just a desperate cry for advice Embarassed

Pro Member Trainee
kaz01007 Trainee

I've never flown this a/c but what I found in my experience with others is that the use of flaps could drop me out of the sky like a rock if I am not careful.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

The landing speed shouldn't be much higher than a 737, just check your fuel and load weights and use flaps accordingly.

I don't fly heavies but I'm sure you can find reference material on the net.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

This is just my experience. I fly the 767 the most out of most of my aircraft 😉 Make sure usually that your flaps are completely down. The 767's controls are kinda heavy but the plane usually wants to go ata nose high attitude. Try and trim the plane out, but if the plane has a slight nose up attiude, dont worry. As for landing speed, I dont use a landing speed, yeah i know its not professional. I just watch my descent rate and make sure it stays and I vary the throttle. I use a RR powered 767, I'm not sure if the FDE's will change with a PW or GE one. I hope this helps. 😀

Cheeks

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

The crucial element with any heavy jet is speed. When you want to lose speed, they don't lose it easily, when you want to keep it, they lose it easily. A few seconds with no input can see you drop out the sky.

Keep throttle input small but constant to maintain a speed of around 160 KIAS on approach. Add flaps incrementally and keep any movements you make small. As the jets get larger, inertia extends and you can expect to wait 2 seconds before you can actually see the results of the control surfaces moving.

Set up an approach, save it, and keep going back to it. The Visual Flight Path is a good way of learning how high you should be at a certain place on the approach path.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

The crucial element with any heavy jet is speed. When you want to lose speed, they don't lose it easily, when you want to keep it, they lose it easily. A few seconds with no input can see you drop out the sky.

Keep throttle input small but constant to maintain a speed of around 160 KIAS on approach. Add flaps incrementally and keep any movements you make small. As the jets get larger, inertia extends and you can expect to wait 2 seconds before you can actually see the results of the control surfaces moving.

Set up an approach, save it, and keep going back to it. The Visual Flight Path is a good way of learning how high you should be at a certain place on the approach path.

Pro Member Trainee
Air-Head Trainee

hammerdag wrote:

I know this is real general, but I'm desperate for help with this matter. I spend most of my time with FS9 in a 737-800 and 320. I have no trouble landing these jets. When I try flying the 767 I crash on landings everytime. Sometimes I will be at about 2000 feet and just drop out of the sky like a rock 🙄

I know this is general and I know the importantance of practice but what would you guys recommend for touch down speed and final flare...I'm doing something very wrong here..I know this jet is huge but when at low altitudes and final approach is there anyting to keep in mind that is incredibly different from the 737 and 320...just a desperate cry for advice Embarassed

If your just dropping out the sky you must be stalling? I'd imagine because of lack of air-speed. Perhaps use the auto-throttle to make sure your not going below the critical air-speed (depending on your flap configuration). That way you can practice your approach witout having to worry abouat a stall because of low air-speed.

Then just disengage auto-throttle near the runway threshold.

Pro Member First Officer
rickypig112 First Officer

i must say when i first flew the 767 it was virtually impossible to land. what series of the 767 are you using? i always find the 400 series a much easier plane to land than the 300 series. just practice, that what i did!