SearchSearch 

external hardrive`s

Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

hi i was downlaoding some stuff and just realized i only have 74gb on my hardrive and i need a external hardrive to put all of my fs and halo and other game downloads expansions etc.. so can someone tell me how to install where to buy and the cheapest one can get at a best buy or walmart

6 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

i bought a 200G maxtor drive from best buy last Christmas. it was on sale less than $100. it was supposed to be external, but i mounted it in the extra cd bay. i wrote to maxtor and they sent me the kit for free! i moved everything off of my "C" drive except what was needed to run the o/s, and got rid of anything in the start up registry that i didn't need. you would be surprised how much faster my computer became. just set up the 2nd drive as the slave, and don't bother installing windows on it. just use it for storage. make sure you put all your programs in a file marked "program files" and as you put stuff on the drive just be orderly about it. for me, it was the 2nd best thing i did for my computer. almost first.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I've got a 500Gig 'My Book' Essential from Western Digital and am very happy with it. Note that there is a whole range of 'My Book'.
The 'Essential' edition really does everything I need and that is store files. It even has an on/off button on it and all you really have to do is plug it in. It's very easy to use. I can't remember how much I paid for it but it was very cheap. I figured out in the meantime that it was probably cheaper than the equivalent Maxtor or Seagate drives (neither of which has an on/off button BTW) because this Western Digital is preformatted in FAT32 which used to be the file format up to and including Windows98 if I'm not mistaken.

Now you probably have Windows XP or Vista (I have XP) which use the NTFS file format. There is no compatibility issue here EXCEPT if you want to transfer a file that's bigger than 4 Gigabyte (I think) because FAT32 cannot handle a file size that large. If you're not going to handle such large files, you won't have to change the format.
If you're not sure and would rather have the same format on your external hard drive and your Windows Operating System ( NTFS ) you'll have to reformat this external hard drive before you use it. How to do that is very clearly explained at the website which the manual will point you to.
I make it sound more complicated than it is. Here is a link to the drive in question so you can have a look at it: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=232&language=en

Pro Member First Officer

mr tailhook, i haven't seen you here in a while, where you been?

Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

hey thanks for the help,now i just have to wait for christmas to roll by 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

cheezyflier wrote:

mr tailhook, i haven't seen you here in a while, where you been?

Since you ask so directly cheezyflier I guess I have to answer Umm...

I've a better idea... I'll send you a signed hard copy of the opus detailing my odyssey -- when it's ready Read

Good to see you're still around and have managed to keep your wings. Have one on me 🍻

Pro Member First Officer

please send 2, so i can auction one off on ebay for big $$!!!