Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

The X-Flies

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

On January 7 1948 Captain Thomas Mantell was ferrying one of four F-51 fighters (i've used a P-51 because i could'nt find a decent F-51) of the 165th Fighter Squadron of the Kentucky Air National Guard from Georgia to Standiford AFB in Kentucky.
At 1:20 pm CST T.Sgt Quinton Blackwell, a tower operator at Godman AFB took a phone call from the Kentucky State Police stating they were recieving reports of an unusual large flying object over Mansville, 80 miles to the East. Witnesses described a huge round object, white-ish in colour with a glowing red light underneath approx 250-300ft in diameter moving South.
The tower at Godman called Capt Mantell and asked him to take a look, at this point one of the aircraft broke off due to mechanical failure.

At 2:45 pm CST and at 14,000ft Mantell radioed that he had the object in sight and at 15,000ft reported "the object is directly ahead of me and above me now, moving at about half my speed".

At 3:15 pm CST Mantell radioed "it appears to be a metallic object or possible reflections of the sun off a metallic object and is of tremendous size, i'm still climbing and trying to close for a better look"

At 22,000ft Clements and Hammond (the other two pilots) broke off pursuit due to lack of oxygen, Mantell continued to pursue and climbed to 25,000ft.

At this point radio contact with Mantell was lost, Clements and Hammond refuelled and returned to the area and approaching Godman AFB Lt Clements described the object as "appears like reflection of sunlight off an airplane canopy".
At 3:50 pm CST the tower lost sight of the UFO.

At 4:00 pm CST the object was sighted over Madisonville

Elizabethtown

Lexington and Northern Tennessee

At 4:30 pm CST an Astronomer at Vanderbilt University observed an object in the sky S.SE of Nashville.
Just after 5:00 pm CST on a farm near Franklin, Kentucky the remains of Mantells aircraft were found scattered over half a mile, Mantells shattered body was found in the cockpit and his watch had stopped at 3:18.
It is believed he succumbed to hypoxia at 25,000 ft with the aircraft still climbing to 30,000ft

before going into a high speed dive

The Air Force investigation stated Mantell had been chasing Venus and lost consciousness due to oxygen starvation.
Astronomers say "even when Venus is at full magnitude you can hardly see it in daytime, even when you're looking for it.As it was only at half magnitude that day it would've been practically invisible".
A microfilm copy of the investigation was mysteriously damaged and no Skyhook balloons were launched that day.

X-FLY STRANGENESS FACTOR 6/10.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

OMG Welsh!! That is an awesome story! hahaha I love it!

What's next, Bermuda Triangle, Area 51? I cannot wait!

Pro Member Chief Captain
bawls327 Chief Captain

lol welsh I always love your screenshots and your stories. Just like belgeode said I cant for some new ones.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks both 😀 , i try to keep it interesting!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Not much to see in this one but it's a great story!

On 7/2/1971 the USS John F Kennedy was returning to Norfolk Virginia after an operational readiness exercise and was sailing off Florida in the Bermuda Triangle.She had just finished 18 hours of flight ops and it was 20:30 hours.
In the comms centre a routine message had just been logged and when the operator turned back to the teletypes he noted they were printing out garbage, he then checked the backups and they were printing the same stuff. He immediately reported this to the facilities control centre and was told all the comms hardware was malfunctioning. In the corner of the room was the pneumatic tube system that had an intercom connected to the bridge, through this all on duty heard someone shout " there's something hovering over the ship" and a few seconds later heard someone else shout "it's God, it's the end of the world".
All six men decided to take a look and ran to the catwalk on the edge of the flight deck,, this happened at a time of "no horizon" where you can't tell where the sea and sky merge. They were shocked to see a large glowing object hovering above the ship

After gazing at it for a few seconds the Batlle stations alarm sounded and they had to report to their Battle Stations

During the time the object hovered over the ship all the radar screens glowed and the compasses malfunctioned.
As for the two ready alert F-4 phantoms.......

......all the time the object was near the ship they would not start 😳 !
Before they docked in Norfolk, the Captain came on the ships closed circuit TV station and announced what happened on the ship stays on the ship but did not specifically mention the UFO event.

Full account here http://www.yorktownsailor.com/yorktown/ufojfk.htm

X-FLY STRANGENESS FACTOR 8/10

Pro Member Chief Captain

Too cool!!! where'd you get that thing anyway?

cue Xfiles theme...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Chief Captain

Very cool WF Very well writen,

i do look forward to reading more soon. 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Great story Welshflyer, I would add more details but I can't talk...I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Great reporting there Welsh! Well done! 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You're freaking me out Welshflyer Fear

I wouldn't believe a word were it not for the extraordinary pics you have to prove it. 🤔

...through this all on duty heard someone shout " there's something hovering over the ship" and a few seconds later heard someone else shout "it's God, it's the end of the world".

Surely that is a joke -- I hear that every time I'm trying to land a heli on a carrier Whistle

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks gents 😀 , the Capt Mantell account is here http://www.ufoarea.com/events_thomas_mantell.html if you want to read it that is 🙂 , and bel the ufo is here https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2954/fs2004-ufo/

Pro Member Chief Captain

My god Welsh, that page has the wackiest flying items... I dunno what to call them hahaha.

Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

awesome story also can you do one on dragons triangle?(china's Bermuda triangle)

BTW is that Lion heart creations invader?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

acepilot32 wrote:

awesome story also can you do one on dragons triangle?(china's Bermuda triangle)

BTW is that Lion heart creations invader?

Thanks acepilot32, if i can find an account of an aircraft mystery in that area i may well do it , if it's interesting enough that is 🙂 , i know the first two just happened to be UFO accounts but there are plenty of others out there that did'nt involve UFO'S and it's one of those i'm exploring next! 😀 ( In fact i think it's my favourite aircraft mystery 😉 ).
As for Lion Heart, no idea, perhaps you could check the link above! 🙂

Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

http://terrifyingtales.blogspot.com/2007/05/dragons-triangle.html

check out hat link supposedly aircraft have been reported missing but i couldnt find any missing aircraft cases. although my personal opinion of how pilots go down in the Bermuda triangle is because of vertigo(i hope i spelled right) vertigo is when a pilot loses all direction and hallucinates

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

On December 5th 1945, Five TBM Avengers would leave Ft Lauderdale on a navigation training exercise, these were
FT-28-Pilot, Lt Charles C Taylor USNR

FT-36-Pilot, Capt Edward J Powers USMC

FT-3-Pilot, Ensign Joseph T Bossi USNR

FT-117-Pilot, Capt George W Stivers USMC

FT-81-Pilot, 2nd Lt Robert J Gerber USMCR

They were designated Flight 19!
At around 14:10 they took off for the exercise, weather was described as favourable, sea state moderate to rough.

They were due to fly due East for 56 miles to Hens and Chicken shoals where they would conduct bombing practice

then continue East for another 67 miles

before turning to course 346 for 73 miles overflying Grand Bahama

Then finally turn to course 241 for 120 miles back to Ft Lauderdale, they never made it!
At some point after the bombing practice things went a bit "Pear shaped",
someone asked Powers what his compass read and the recorded reply was " i don't know where we are. We must have got lost after the last turn"
Lt Robert Fox on another training mission heard the transmission and transmitted "This is FT-74, plane or boat calling "Powers" please identify yourself so someone can help you"

Moments later FT-74 tried again "FT-28 this is FT-74 what is your trouble?" Taylor replied "Both my compasses are out i am trying to find Ft Laurderdale, i am over land but it's broken".

FT-74 informed NAS that Flight-19 was lost. At 16:45 FT-28 radioed that they were changing course and would fly North to make sure they were'nt over the Gulf of Mexico

During this time no bearings could be made on the flight and IFF could not be picked up.

Other messages were reported from Taylor as saying "Nothing looks right, the sea and the sky just don't look right, we are entering white water...."

The last reported message heard was a faint "FT....FT"
Flight 19 was never seen or heard from again!
Why did all compasses fail?
If someone had a working compass, why did'nt they take over leading the flight?
In 1991 the wreckage of five TBM Avengers were found off the Florida Coast but the engine serial numbers did not match those of Flight 19!

X-FLY STRANGENESS FACTOR= 10/10 (just for all 5 aircraft not functioning properly)
This flight took place in the Bermuda Triangle!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Ooh i remember reading about this one... yeah that is one of the navy's greatest unsolved mysteries... they never found the planes. Nice pictorial Welsh... really brings the story to life.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

That Bermuda Triangle sure has some tricks up its sleeve! Wonderful story telling and great shots Welsh! 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks bel and VF 😀 , this is probably my favourite aircraft mystery, there's a lot of stuff written about it but i guess we'll never know the truth!

Unless they relax the 100 year Top Secret rule! 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

Thanks bel and VF 😀 , this is probably my favourite aircraft mystery, there's a lot of stuff written about it but i guess we'll never know the truth!

100 year Top Secret rule! 😳 What's that? Oh, what's your new sig. about? Buh! Humbug! 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

VegasFlyer wrote:

Welshflyer wrote:

100 year Top Secret rule! 😳 What's that? Oh, what's your new sig. about? Buh! Humbug! 😂

AAhh, the 100 year Top Secret rule, there are some things that went on in WWII, that cannot or won't be revealed for 100 years after the event, one that springs to mind is the German anti-gravity experiment. Makes you wonder does'nt it? As for my sig it's from scrooge, Bah, Humbug meaning ......well you'll have to read a Christmas Carol, or watch Scrooged starring Bill Murray! 😀 It's about a man who was a horrible git and hated Christmas until he was shown the error of his ways, i'm expecting the ghosts any minute 😳 !

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

VegasFlyer wrote:

Welshflyer wrote:

AAhh, the 100 year Top Secret rule, there are some things that went on in WWII, that cannot or won't be revealed for 100 years after the event, one that springs to mind is the German anti-gravity experiment. Makes you wonder does'nt it? As for my sig it's from scrooge, Bah, Humbug meaning ......well you'll have to read a Christmas Carol, or watch Scrooged starring Bill Murray! 😀 It's about a man who was a horrible git and hated Christmas until he was shown the error of his ways, i'm expecting the ghosts any minute 😳 !

😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I gotta give it to you Welshflyer, you're putting plenty of effort into your presentations. I's just contemplating whether you actually painted all the different tail numbers yourself. Needless to say, now you got me sharking around for an Avenger with a working tailhook

...already found it 😀

As usual, thanks for a great show 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks Tailhook 😀 , all the aircraft came in a package i found at Simviation (i think)!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

This one intrigued me quite a bit, i'd never heard of it before, it's the strange case of "Pogo 22".
On October 14th 1961 six B-52s took off to take part in SKY SHIELD II, a Top Secret refuelling and bombing exercise.

They departed at 12:00 local time and climbed South of Norfolk

They then flew to a point in the Atlantic...

....and right on time at 15:00 met up with the KC-135s and refuelled without problems, they then split into sections of two and turned South toward Bermuda and for the next hour kept each other in sight

At about 300 miles North East of Bermuda they separated to 10 miles distance

and decended to 1000ft and raced toward the coast

When at about 3 miles distance Pogo 13 saw Pogo 22 for the last time tearing across the sky her 8 engines streaming exhaust behind her

Weather was clear, visibility 10 miles, Pogo 22 was never seen or heard from again. At 10 miles separation there was no mid- air explosion or Pogo 13 would have seen it, Pogo 22 simply vanished

After a search of 280,000 square miles, roughly twice the size of California, not a trace of Pogo 22 was ever found.

X-FLY STRANGENESS FACTOR=10/10

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Excellent story Welshflyer 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks cheeks 😀 !

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

On February 22nd 1978, Lt Paul Smyth and Co-Pilot Richard Leonard climbed into their A-6 Intruder, callsign "Fighting Tiger 524"

They departed NAS Oceana at about 14:35 to land on the USS John F Kennedy that was just 100 miles offshore

They climbed to 14,000ft.......

.........and 20 minutes later they were just 30 miles from the carrier......

......at this point the A-6.....

.....disappeared from the radar screens on the JFK, the controller called "524 radar contact lost"...

.....there was no response from Fighting Tiger 524, and it was never seen or heard from again...

...There is no explanation as to what happened, nor a clue to what it encountered when it vanished.There was no ejection as no emergency beacons were activated or detected!

X-FLY STRANGENESS FACTOR=10/10

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Great story and shots Welsh. That A-6 looks awesome, where did you get it? 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks cheeks, it's file name a6fltin.zip at flightsim.com 😀 , it's textures only for the Kazunori ito A-6.They really are probably the best texture set for any A-6 out there, they're from the film "Flight of the Intruder" callsign "Devil 505"! 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain

WOW... some very intriguing stories there Welsh... Did not know about that Buff unsolved mystery...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Thanks Welsh, man it is a great repaint 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Oh my Welshflyer, where did you find a runway wide enough for the B-52 😳

I'm convinced you got people working for you Ninja

Jolly good show old boy 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks gents 😀 , there is some interesting stuff out there!

Pro Member Captain
Steve (SpiderWings) Captain

You are amazing Welsh. Not only top notch in making excellent screen shots that are both beautiful and authentic but these true life accounts are so intriguing. It really creates a bridge between the imagination of sim flying and what can happen out there in real life.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks Spider, it's appreciated 😀 !