Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Operating system

Pro Member Trainee
dpsmith Trainee

Could I get some advice/suggestions please. Long story short. I purchased hubby an Alienware M9750 quick ship for christmas. He is military and travels abit. FSX is his favorite item to pass the time away from home. The laptop has vista home premium on it. Would it be better to have xp pro instead?

Many thanks and I will watch for your answers.

Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

Nowadays I can't think of a good reason to go with xp over Vista on new and fast system. Plus with Vista you have the benefit of DX10 (slightly fancier graphics-not sure whether the card(s) in that system are dx10 capable or not) At this point the people who are putting XP on new systems generally either : have a slow system (probably not the Alienware you are buying) or simply hate Vista for some illogical or personal reason (there are many of those too.) So ya Vista Home Premium sounds right on. Additionally you may want to consider the Vista 64 bit version. I use it and it runs great and is recommended especially if you are using 4 gigs RAM or more.

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Area-51_m9750/area-51m_specs.aspx#pdp-nav

Windows® XP Media Center
Windows® XP Professional
Windows Vista® Home Premium < for future apps Confused
Windows Vista® Ultimate

Processors, Chipset & Memory
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processors (4MB Cache, 667MHz FSB) < whoo Very Happy
Intel 945PM + ICH7M-DH Chipset
Up to 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz < need that for vista Sad
2 dedicated SO-DIMM slots for Dual Channel DDR2 Memory

Graphics & Video
DirectX 9 Enabled Graphics
Dual Graphics Cards